BOTA 1.6 (Fix 9) (Updated Finally) - Page 3

BOTA 1.6 (Fix 9) (Updated Finally)

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Argh

Re: The BOTA Thread - Version 1.51 The Crashbug is fixed!

Post by Argh »

It does in 0.77.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Re: The BOTA Thread - Version 1.52 The Crashbug is fixed!

Post by Quanto042 »

The first BETA for BOTA-EX is out:
Nothing too outrageous has been added yet. Currently just graphical improvements such as the addition of many NOTA-Style Explosions (with Thor's permission of course) along with the beginnings of a few of my own. CORE and ARM bombers now have unique bombs to each side, ARM bombs have a bluish plasma tinge and the CORE have a greenish tinge. This theme will be continued with similarly colored explosions for all high-energy structures.

I've also added Mr. D's Super-Duper models as well. Hopefully BOTA won't look quite so dated! ^_^

http://76.163.209.17/downloads/BotaEX06b2.sd7
Keep in mind that version 1.52 is still the only "Stable" one, this version is simply for the curious.

---Screen Shots from the Current build---
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Re: The BOTA Thread - Version 1.6 Beta ready for open testing!

Post by Quanto042 »

BOTA 1.6 is nearly complete! With a bunch of major fixes complete and some minor balance tweeks I felt it was time for a general public beta Release before the final version comes out. Its got most of the cob errors found in BOTA-EX fixed along with all the fancy stuff. This will probably be the last major version of bota to be released before EX is ready. 1.6 The final version of BOTA 1.6 should be out by the end of the year!

Download BOTA 1.6 @ Springfiles

Gota

Post by Gota »

Quanto if this is basiclly OTA did u manage to make stuff stop autot shooting at radar blips?did you manage to make airplanes behave like in OTA?
do units and turrets shoot through one another?
Cause if these 3 are not done it is nowhere near OTA.
If you are interested in making all these possible in sPring please join the coalition of the OTA features enthusiasts.
members ATM are me lurker pxtl and perhaps you?
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

units and turrets shoot through one another?
That easily works with just an fbi tag.
Gota

Post by Gota »

dont be so stupidly obvious.i know it does.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Just because I might help you implement it doesn't mean I like a feature at all.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Heh i was joking around.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

oops lol
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

Just to answer Gota's questions here...

1) did u manage to make stuff stop autot shooting at radar blips?
- No, I actually like this feature in spring and I plan on retaining it.

2) did you manage to make airplanes behave like in OTA?
- Eh, yes and no? The bombers drop their bombs in an even straight line now, but they still kind of lumber around and react slowly. And the fighters still don't turn on a dime. If you can point me to the fbi tags required to make this happen I will gladly make that happen. Hawk pwnage is sorely missed.

3) do units and turrets shoot through one another?
- Yes absolutely, they've been doing that since BOTA 1.4

If you want a better Idea of the design philosophy behind BOTA, check out the wiki page, its got a pretty good synopsis. I'm kind of sick of repeating myself everytime people ask what makes BOTA different. The wiki-page tells all. And there are a few BOTA fans out there, you can always ask them in #bota.
Argh

Post by Argh »

If you can point me to the fbi tags required to make this happen I will gladly make that happen. Hawk pwnage is sorely missed.
The best answer that I can give you is that adjusting the following tags will likely result in better overall behavior:

Code: Select all

collide=0;
maxAcc=0.3;
Collide will turn off aircraft collisions, if you haven't done this already. Saves a lot of CPU, and makes aircraft generally behave better.
MaxAcc is the all-purpose turning and acceleration modifier. Raising it will make aircraft much more nimble. You can try to manually adjust the sub-settings controlled through the maxAcc variable, but I don't recommend it, as most experiments with that have led to planes that lock up during certain maneuvers, because of certain hard-coded relationships within Spring's aircraft movement AI.

Other than that, it's all about developing an all-Lua flight model, which nobody's done yet, that I know of.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

Thanks for the info, done and done.
Argh

Post by Argh »

No problem, just be aware that your results will not exactly replicate OTA behavior.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

Meh, I figured as much, but anything that reduces CPU usage is always welcome.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

This is the latest revision for 1.6

I know I promised a final version around this time, but there are still too many little bugs to call it "done." But at the same time, this is a lot more playable than "fix-3" so I'm putting it out there right now, to at least get a feel for the direction I'm headed. The annoying "GATOR" errors are gone, and the CORCOM fires his laser again. On the flip side, there are some new COB Errors popping up from Mr.D's other units. Unit affected are as follows:
CORGOL
CORMART
CORREAP
and CORMIST

Mr.D if you read this, can you please let me know how i can fix these. I'm a total retard when it comes to BOS scripting.

Other Balance fixes were also done.
The Dominator is back on the buildtree, as is the missing BUZZSAW which was not available to the CORE Adv ConBot for some reason.
ARM Snipers have been fixed, for the 3rd time (Every time i think they are fixed, they aren't :P)
Immolators are now a more effective flash killer.

Metalmakers for Both sides now explode equally violently.

GeoPlants also explode pretty Violently, a la AA/BA. If you guys think this was a bad move, let me know after a couple of games.

That should be the bulk of the fixes for this version.

At any rate I'd like to thank the guys who've been playing so many matches lately. The feedback has been a huge help. And I really can never get enough, KEEP IT COMING :D

DOWNLOAD LINK
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

[      0] Spring 0.78.2.0 (0.78.2-0-g716ba18{@}-s)
[      0] Using mod BOTA 1.6 Beta (fix-6)
[      0] Error parsing units/armscorp.fbi: [string "gamedata/parse_tdf.lua"]:58: could not find key (units/armscorp.fbi line 50)  "	ItalianDescription=;Scorpione"
[      0] no such sound: sounds/ROBOBEEP.wav
[      0] no such sound: sounds/COMDEAD.wav
[      0] no such sound: sounds/XTANEWNUKE.wav
[      0] CobWarning: Couldn't find a piece named "base" in the model (in scripts/corcom.cob)
[  11535] CobError: stack not large enough, need: 1, have: 0 (too few arguments passed to function?) (in scripts/cormist.cob:Shot1 at 1ab)
(at game shutdown)
[  40118] missing return table from gamedata/messages.lua
[  40118] ERROR: messages.lua: missing return table from gamedata/messages.lua
Also i failed to force Flash tanks to attack Core's Vehicle Plant level1. They just don't want to attack it.
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

Vulcan plasma bullets often kill my units while they should go right over them. They bite even flat Diplomat vehicles.

As for Flash tanks. I guess they stop shooting at all somehow. It occured when a unit was building at the plant. Non 100% repeatable bug.

Also i don't like how Annihilator explodes. Like semi-nuclear bomb. They are too dangerous to build. What's wrong with them to explode so vast?
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

slogic, thanks for the bug report, i was aware of a few of those, but others I had no idea existed.
The vulcan should not be hitting those units at all, unless of course they simply are at the point where they are going to hit the ground anyways. I'll check the weapon definition to that. As to the Annihilator, that was simply a gameplay choice of my own. A weapon as brutally powerful as an Anni, or a DDM should be a volatile device and should be built with some distance between them. And because BOTA was made to favore offense, the destruction of an Anni late game should allow the opposing player to finally break your lines and exploit the hole they just made. TA was never meant to be a game of 3D tower defense.

I've never noticed this problem with flashes before. Perhaps you are microing them to the point where they stop responding? Have you tried pairing them with other units like stumpies and samsons? So that they do not get lost in the cold when they suddenly loose their bearings?
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

Quanto042 wrote:The vulcan should not be hitting those units at all, unless of course they simply are at the point where they are going to hit the ground anyways.
My units were just in the middle between Vulcan & target. I smashed so many my own units.
Quanto042 wrote:As to the Annihilator, that was simply a gameplay choice of my own.
Pity. By the way, other structures did not attract my attention by their abnormal explosions.
Quanto042 wrote:And because BOTA was made to favore offense... TA was never meant to be a game of 3D tower defense.
You did not mention about this in your readme. I thought OTA always was more defensive & i liked it somehow.
Quanto042 wrote:I've never noticed this problem with flashes before.
You know, i did not do any special. I just played as usual. I've tried many mods & i noticed this bug in BOTA only.

Also i suggest to add ModOptions.lua into your root mod folder with dummy content like this:

local options= {
}
return options
This simple action will allow players to customize standard (engine?) mod options in lobby.

Return to “Game Releases”