engine settings profiles for graphics/performance

Discuss development of lobby clients, server, autohosts and auto-download software.

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

a thing lobby clients often have is a UI to edit the settings. Springlobby opens up spring settings (outdated), chobby has their own editor.

None seem to have a detailed settings editor that directly includes all settings mentioned in the wiki
https://springrts.com/wiki/Springsettings.cfg

even if they did, it's unreasonable to expect people to tweak the settings manually, so often "bundled" low/medium/high options should be used.

i've seen lowish settings often disable or set to too low stuff that's relevant for gameplay :
- i've seen people with decent computers show screenshots with no anti aliasing
- building decals disabled (which also breaks maps where the decals are used for metal spots)
- ground detail too low so most maps with defined "artificial" terrain with well defined edges (concrete, city, etc.) looked weird when zoomed out
- low profiles were setting the max particles too low so a lot of explosions wouldn't render past the early game as large battles happened

So, what key settings should be bundled to differentiate between low/medium/high/very high profiles?
Google_Frog

Re: engine settings profiles for graphics/performance

Post by Google_Frog »

Here is my selection: https://github.com/ZeroK-RTS/Chobby/blo ... gsMenu.lua

Springsettings are in the tables called 'apply'. Sometimes a function is called to deal with an interaction between settings, but most of the time the settings are mapped pretty directly. Presets are near the top of the file. Alternately, you could launch ZK, click the preset buttons, and copy the springsettings.cfg that is created as a result.

Return to “Lobby Clients & Server”