Spring RTS Engine

Spring RTS Engine

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

CarmeloLabadie

Spring RTS Engine

Post by CarmeloLabadie »

I've heard about a number of open-source engines, but the Spring engine caught my eye, as it looked like it was an RTS engine that originally started off as an attempt to bring Total Annihilation into the realm of 3D, but evolved to support a wide variety of features, one of which appears to be full-scale zooming (as seen in Supreme Commander 1 and 2). I've even heard that there's a game that was developed from Spring that's based off of Earth 2150, called Expand & Exterminate, was it? Anyways, here's a video demonstration of some of the things you can do with this engine.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Re: Spring RTS Engine

Post by SeanHeron »

Missing the link to the video :P ?

Seems like a pretty good description you give - if you need some filling in of futher details, I'd be happy to help.

Expand & Exterminate was a pretty cool game (I have a concept for a game that is heavily inspired by it). Dunno what were the strongest influences for Fang / Fanger - I always thought C&C must have been pretty far up there considering the name :P.

Question: Are you interested in dabbling in making games yourself, or what got you curious about RTS game engines ?

Return to “General Discussion”