Request for BA repo transfer from Bluestone - Page 2

Request for BA repo transfer from Bluestone

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

very_bad_soldier

Re: BA should not be owned by engine

Post by very_bad_soldier »

very_bad_soldier wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 22:51 Yes, but I want to be able to protect branches.
Thanks, it works, master branch is protected now.
Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

If you can do it, get going!
BA will never run on 104 since Bel is focusing on 105 now and 105 is years away.

The only explanation is you are doing this to give preferential treatment to BAR, just so BAR can screw over BA again.

You said you are looking for a BA dev and the community already decided. If you really cared about BA or Spring you wouldn't be using threats and blackmail against the game you banned from official server 2 years ago on behalf of BAR.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

All Silentwings is saying is that you should *accomplish* something - like a release - that will gain you merit.
Look at vbs - he's doing actual work.
That is something that is highly regarded in the open source world.
A high number of forum posts with accusations doesn't count as accomplishment in most peoples eyes.
When you do work and meet a technical barrier that Silentwings can help with, I'm sure he will - see communication in this thread with vbs.
Just concentrate on the actual work for now.
Ares

Post by Ares »

Bluestone why did you change collaborators on the BA github repo today? These people never indicated they were interested and Beherith is a BAR dev. You didn't discuss this decision with anyone and did it behind our backs. This sort of clandestine activity is why a trusted member of BA community like VBS should be owner.

Attachments
Untitledaaaaaab.png
(60.99 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by Ares on 11 Aug 2020, 14:52, edited 2 times in total.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I removed them both (as external collaborators) after noticing they were still there but presumably don't want to be. I've no idea why your bot thinks they were added - they weren't. See e.g. the audit log

All together now, singalongabadev
You can commit.
You can make BA releases.
You could have started 15 days ago.
If you can do it, get going!

Here's to hoping https://github.com/are-s one day features a commit.
Attachments
Untitled.png
(82.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Ares

Post by Ares »

Silentwings wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 08:36 You can commit. You can make BA releases. You could have started 15 days ago. If you can do it, get going!
Actually I started 2 years ago when you banned BA to make people play BAR
galileo

Re: Request for BA repo transfer from Bluestone

Post by galileo »

Silentwings, being a developer, please help with fixing the crash issue produced in GNU/Linux.
Some players we have problems to play BA because of this issue.

Some units like tactical nuke makes SpringRTS/BA to crash.
Please do some productive task in the community.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Ares wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 17:43
Silentwings wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 08:36 You can commit. You can make BA releases. You could have started 15 days ago. If you can do it, get going!
Actually I started 2 years ago when you banned BA to make people play BAR
This is straight up false, as 1. Silentwings did not ban BA, engine 103 support was deprecated, and 2. noone ever forced, or attempted to force, or even thought of making anyone play BAR.

Please cease this constant victim playing, and get to serving your playerbase!

Edit: holy crap I just saw the pile of mud you flung at me previously. I am very disappointed.
Ares

Post by Ares »

Bluestones informed me & Mando that he specifically banned BA under the instruction of Flow and Doo who now work on BAR. Why don't you ask him? You are a BAR dev afterall.

You think we rebuilt the entire Spring infrastructure from scratch by accident?

Don't you know what BAR team say in private discord channels they thought no one would ever read?

Attachments
trifart.png
(27.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

BA will never run on 104 since Bel is focusing on 105 now and 105 is years away.
For completeness: I have made no promises in this regard, and I am not actively working towards either.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

So this is a FUD campaign by Ares... taking a page from Trumps book.
Is there going to be an election?
Ares - do you have Twitter? Maybe you could start collecting followers there. All the populists do it. Neither truth nor competence is a precursor for Twitter use.
That would free my RSS feed from this incredible thread.
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

dansan wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 07:47 So this is a FUD campaign by Ares... taking a page from Trumps book.
Is there going to be an election?
Ares - do you have Twitter? Maybe you could start collecting followers there. All the populists do it. Neither truth nor competence is a precursor for Twitter use.
That would free my RSS feed from this incredible thread.
Regardless of whether this sentiment is valid, this isn't helpful.
galileo wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 17:55 … please help with fixing the crash issue produced in GNU/Linux.
Unfortunately Galileo, if BA played on Spring 104, you'd find this crash has already been fixed. That's just one of countless improvements that have been made to the engine. You should probably campaign for using Spring 104, because that's what's going to solve your problem.

(Unless Ares finds a fix within BA itself, but even then Spring 104 would have countless benefits, and his time would be better spent on that transition.)
PtaQ

Post by PtaQ »

Funnily enough, BAR was not even in playable state months after deprecating 103 engine, which makes these accusations just laughable to anyone who bases his opinion on facts instead of whatever random crap populists came up with this week.

It would be very lucrative for both "sides" of the conflict imagined by Ares if they just abstracted from each other. BAR team already does, and I suggest doing the same, otherwise, it's just blatant hypocrisy. Ultimately BAR eventual release will bring more players to BA and other spring projects so if you truly care about rebuilding your community then its time to stop holding the grudge towards it and accusing people like Bluestone of being its advocate, while he is not even loosely related to the current development of BAR.

Stop relying on a scapegoats, do your own work, and mind your own business, please. Everyone will get healthier. Think about the stonks.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

After such a long time nothing seems to have changed. This is quite disappointing. Still no insight on any side. Guilty are still only the others. Still mostly personal attacks on both sides (only Hitler comparisons are missing I think, but maybe Trump comparisons do count nowadays ^^). In my opinion lots of stuff went wrong on both sides.

In this particular case I cannot understand why Ares refuses to use the repo just because Bluestone is owner (who I trust to not interfere) . Maybe if Ares shows sensible advances then Bluestone might step back.
On the other hand I cannot understand why Bluestone refuses to give the BA github repo to Ares as (afaik) he is the legit BA maintainer now. That's not right imo, Bluestone is not related to BA anymore since many years. We all know Ares is Ares but two wrongs don't make a right.

Anyway, I removed myself from the BA github repo (for obviosu reasons) as admin now and wish you guys (engine, BAR, BA etc.) best of luck that you somehow manage to get along with each other.
galileo

Post by galileo »

I keep this phrase:
two wrongs don't make a right
Please, collaborate to rebuild a productive community, and don't exclude neither versions nor hosts.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

vbs wrote:I cannot understand why Bluestone refuses to give the BA github repo to Ares as (afaik) he is the legit BA maintainer now. That's not right imo, Bluestone is not related to BA anymore since many years. We all know Ares is Ares but two wrongs don't make a right.
I have two reservations, both mentioned already but here's details. First, Ares might not have coding ability because afaict there is no record of who, if anyone, has done anything significant code-wise to "old BA" for the past ~2 years. Without someone as lead who can, there is no real future for it. It is bad that no commit history exists. Regardless: Ares claims he is able and wants to - so I've given him full access, but if we discover that Ares can't/won't do it, then one day I can offer the same chance to someone else who might.

Second, I would prefer to see the long-term goal that BA moves on from 103 to 104 kept, because I think its likely that without this BA will have slow but predictable death. Leap-frogging straight to new open-gl (=105 curently) is not realistic. I don't currently trust Ares in this respect, or if I'm honest really any other aspect - partly because imho as soon as he doesn't get his own way he spews out far more ill-informed personal abuse than anyone's trust would withstand, partly because of lack of consistency in his stated goals. (Slightly related and amusing: one month ago, Ares pm'ed me with: "you can keep hold of the repo until you see progress in the direction you like. I don't want to host anything on github".)

If - at some point in future - there was a lengthy period of visible good maintainence (i.e. public repo + commit history showing who does what), with or without an engine upgrade goal, and forum drama/personal abuse returned to pre-BA-10 levels, that should be enough for me; presumably also enough to judge who best to pass the repo to, but we are not there. Without trust afaics I can only wait and hope to see activity.

If some other former dev/contributor/etc (@vbs: including yourself) is interested to take the repo then pm me - afaik none are/were, in fact iirc I made this a condition of it being passed to me.
I cannot understand why Ares refuses to use the repo just because Bluestone is owner
Fwiw, when I ran BA in 2012-16, I never owned the repo. Imo that's what the GPL is for, then the code is (almost) anyones, who thinks who else is being selfish about what else is basically irrelevant. For day to day work, it doesn't matter who owns the repo, or even which repo is used, as long as there is one.
maybe Trump comparisons do count nowadays
@all, we do have a rule against political discussions - please stick to it, including comparing users to political figures
Pta_Q wrote:Stop relying on a scapegoats, do your own work, and mind your own business, please.
@Ares: I never expected this to be good advice to a new BA dev, but right now it is. You have full commit rights, get on with it.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Vbs I recommend you revert that decision and get back to handling the BA repo. From what I can tell from the last few posts you've been making the most pragmatic decisions and it seems likely both Ares and Bluestone could work well with you.

Other than that I hope that both old and new BA developers, as well as the developers of other games (especially BAR) will be able to work together in a way that benefits the whole Spring ecosystem, which is now sadly quite fractured.
Ares

Post by Ares »

PtaQ wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 11:53 which makes these accusations just laughable to anyone who bases his opinion on facts
BAR team has suddenly arrived to disupt an important conversation about BA github with Bluestone, your actions with Forboding Angel ultimately gave it to him.

Personally I don't even care about BAR but your whole team is showing up here to prevent BA progress again.

Bluestone had no problem identifying the problem we now face when he helped setup BAR leadership in 2018 inside private discord channels. Yet now BA is asking for independence from the engine he does the exact opposite. This manipulative, mean spirited behaviour casts Spring in a bad light. Spring wanted to be "piracy free" but as soon as BA tries to progress a Spring staff member has taken full admin ownership of our project rather than co operate with a popular game on your own platform.

Let BA own BA. As a minimum transfer ownership to a real member of the BA community even if you don't want me to be owner. Bluestone can keep his commit rights.
Attachments
Untitledaab.png
(12.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Ares

Do not modify or delete BA repo

Post by Ares »

Bluestone you sent me a message saying you want to make changes to the BA repo. Please do not modify or rename the Balanced Annihilation repo in any way without approval of BA community. As owner of BA repo you should fulfill the wishes of BA community.

This is obviously against the wishes of the BA community. If you wish to transfer ownership use the transfer ownership feature that already exists on Github for that purpose. Thank you.

I'd rather you stay owner of BA than damage BA in any way.

Here is a timestamped picture of how the BA repo currently looks at 12/08/2020 16:39pm https://github.com/Balanced-Annihilation

If the content of this page changes it will confirm Bluestone has made destructive or unwanted changed to the repo. Demonstrating that he should not be the owner of BA github.
Attachments
page_at_12_08_2020_16_39pm.png
(214.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by Ares on 12 Aug 2020, 17:46, edited 2 times in total.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

My "compromise" suggestion: I could rename github.com/balanced-annihilation to smth else, which would preserve its setup and history etc as an organization intact - you can't copy github organizations, you can only copy/fork/import individual repos. Then Ares or anyone else can own github.com/balanced-annihilation + its rapid bindings, without me involved & would be easy to set up the BA.sdz repo there. Afaics I've ~sort of done my duty there, some person X could still one-day take the stuff up again if I gave them access, without risk of any files or history getting broken/lost - ofc the compromise is that if "old BA" still existed person X would need a new game name.

Indeed I suggested it and got a negative response, not clear if Ares understood it ... seems to work to me though; if no trust/activity comes out of this I may eventually decide to do that.

Ofc, probably better: you have full commit rights, get on with it.

Merged to here for what are presumably obvious reasons.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”