LD44

LD44

Moderator: Content Developer

Silentwings

LD44

Post by Silentwings »

LD44 is set for April 26th-29th

I think I can make those days! Who else is in?
gajop

Re: LD44

Post by gajop »

I'm in too! Golden Week in Japan, changing the Emperor and everything!!
gajop

Post by gajop »

I would like to use this opportunity to discuss two topics:
1. Start time
2. Game genre

1. So far we have started designing and working on LD games the moment they were announced, which often meant that people in certain timezones would effectively be excluded from participating in the design process. This is not good. Depending on the timezones of the participants, I would like to adjust the start time so everyone has a chance to participate in the brainstorming.

2. My goal in LD is to balance two goals: experimentation and polish. Our games have started to fail on the first part. Sure, we've gotten better at 3rd person controls, attack waves and similar, but we keep designing the same kind of games recently. I would like to tackle a new challenge here and start with a fundamentally different design. Here are some ideas of unexplored mechanics: turn-based, discrete map (e.g. polygons), strongly UI-driven (card game, board game, etc), city-builder games, FPS, etc. We can pick one beforehand, but alternatively it can be more fun to decide this appropriately for the announced theme - as long as we force ourselves to do something new.

All feedback appreciated.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I'm interested, and setting an ideas time that everyone can attend sounds good.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I guess all that's happened is that what was once "new ideas" now became "a normal LD game".

I'd like to try something different again. I think we should look push in directions that the engine is good at, rather than just doing other game styles with lua.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

gajop wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 03:18 , city-builder games
This is relevant to my interests.

Hoko thinks it would be simpler to write one's own game rather than use Spring for this. :wink:
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I agree that there are many game designs that are better suited to simpler engines than Spring. A 3D city builder does not sound like one of them, given our experience, however I am not so sure that a LD city builder needs to be 3D.

I think one thing to do prior to this LD is to work on good WSAD third person ground unit control. Such games are quite suited to Spring and I wouldn't say we have entirely exhausted what can be done with them. That said, I am open to new designs if Spring is appropriate for them and we have the manpower.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

My street's power is being shut off for maintenance for about 9 hours on the Sunday, so I don't know whether I should participate.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Google_Frog wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 06:36 My street's power is being shut off for maintenance for about 9 hours on the Sunday, so I don't know whether I should participate.
Ultimately up to you how much you want to participate. No pressure.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

The planned power interruption was canceled, so I should be back in.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Ludum Dare starts in two days.
Participants: Silentwings, GoogleFrog, gajop
Start time: On time or delayed? I wouldn't mind delaying game design a bit until Silentwings can come online. If so when would that be?
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

My council just set me another letter saying that they have decided to go ahead with the power interruption after all. That kills most of my Sunday so I am back to not being available for a big chunk of the jam.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Is it possible to do an LD without someone making models? I feel like we could use a Pica or an Anarchid...

I think I can make the Saturday but likely not the Sunday. This time it starts at 2am for me, probably I won't be awake until 4h later.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Ok, in that case we are going to delay brainstorming by 4h from event start. Avoid writing ideas in the channel until then.

We can make it without a dedicated artist. We can do programmer art or simply not compete in the art category and use existing art - even stuff from a previous LD is okay.

For this event we'll use the same discord server as before. Participating devs have been added to the #dev channel. I'll make a skeleton game repo, probably on the day of the jam.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Fyi we decided not to participate in this LD because we all thought the theme sucked.
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

For reference, the theme is "Your life is currency".
gajop

Post by gajop »

One could say we took to the theme's meaning and decided to do something more productive with our life.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

@ gajop, is this the latest game with a controllable single avatar?
It this the most optimized regarding instant reaction and feeling of controll?
I want to use something similar on the operatives of my new game - and remembered dimly that you combatted the unitdefs in one of the LD Events for quite some hours to create a "smooth, fast" reacting humanoid unit.
gajop

Post by gajop »

No, since this game was never made. The previous one (blood mage) was probably better, but I'd say even that wasn't 100% cleaned up (mouse interaction worked while wasd was borked)
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Thanks though, spares me and future others lots o science at unitdef University 😀

Return to “Ludum Dare”