Extremely slow on Intel i9-7920X unless WorkerThreadCount=0 or 1

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

dizekat

Post by dizekat »

So after not playing Spring in a long time I tried it out, under Linux on my new system, and I got extremely low performance (can't keep up, runs at <0.5 speed). I traced it down to some kind of threading issue - it is extremely slow unless WorkerThreadCount is set to 0 or 1 (worst if it's at default -1). That CPU has 12 cores with 24 threads so it might be a bit of a pathological case...

This was observed on both the version 103 and 100.

I'm going to also try it under Windows later today.

Is there already a bug report about that or should I make one? I might poke around out of academic interest myself. I know it's easy to accidentally make slow thread code due to false sharing and such.
Kloot
Spring Developer

Re: Extremely slow on Intel i9-7920X unless WorkerThreadCount=0 or 1

Post by Kloot »

No need to make reports for ancient versions, test only the most recent (104.0.1-708-gedbecc7) maintenance build.

Either false sharing or excessive lock contention (or broken affinity management) could be good candidate explanations, but I expect other shenanigans since a performance degradation this extreme should also have been noticed at "standard" (2-4) WorkerThreadCount's during the 100.0 - 103.0 era. Profiler data would help.
I might poke around out of academic interest myself.
Please feel free.

Return to “Linux”