Clarification on TechA branding and mutators policy

Moderator: Content Developer

nixtux
TechA Developer

Post by nixtux »

Supercedeed on 13/12/2016 by community wide guidelines - https://springrts.com/wiki/Licenses_Forking_Mutators

Kept for reference only.

Just thought i'd post some official guidelines on TechA's "Branding" use for in map/mod mutators & forks:

Some model/texture/images are now copyrighted please ask for permission to use this content.

Mutators and forks should contain some significant difference to the usual TechA gameplay.

Map mutators are best for small changes that are map specific (e.g. Duck Fusions).
Mod mutators are best for small unit/game changes (e.g. King of the Hill)
Substantial changes should be made with a fork & an entirely new mod file with new naming scheme.

Naming conventions
Mutator names should make it explicitly clear that the map/mod is a mutator which has a TechAx.x dependence or will modify content from TechA.x.x; e.g.
Something (TechAx.xx)
TechA Something (TechAx.x)
Names and version numbers of forks should clearly distinguish the fork from TechA.

Not Acceptable
Names designed to impersonate e.g. "Tech Annihilation Vx.(x+1)" or "Tech Annihilation Improved Edition".
Anything which has a file based dependency on some particular lobby or engine version. (Forcing dependency on a particular TechA version is allowed.)
Any smartass work around of the above

If in doubt - ask! The Spring Mods have been supportive so far on the subject of Mod Hijacking so I'd appreciate everyone's cooperation on this :)
smoth

Re: Clarification on TechA branding and mutators policy

Post by smoth »

Good call! Thanks for this post!
Senna

Post by Senna »

TA is a full BA hijack, ofc it has changed now, but its still a full BA hijack.
Senna

Post by Senna »

Nixtux, i apreciated your good work, but dont forget, TA has born inside map/mod inside name BA, and then i did TA fully mod copying all BA units.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Senna wrote:Nixtux, i apreciated your good work, but dont forget, TA has born inside map/mod inside name BA, and then i did TA fully mod copying all BA units.
IMHO this policy isn't about the content, its about using the name Tech Annihilation / TechA.
nixtux
TechA Developer

Post by nixtux »

Editing top post to show new licensing on some of the content. The list of content will be getting updated over the next few days.

Many thanks nixtux.

Return to “Tech Annihilation”