Lundum dare prep questions...

Moderator: Content Developer

smoth

Post by smoth »

Where is our chat? skype etc? We doing any webcams etc?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Lundum dare prep questions...

Post by Forboding Angel »

Group google Hangouts usually and mumble for talking, which is weird, but whatever lol
smoth

Post by smoth »

What is our google group and what is the mumble server?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Mumble server is just springrts.com. Usually there is an LD channel made for us.

As far as group hangouts: https://support.google.com/hangouts/ans ... 1943?hl=en
gajop

Post by gajop »

Hey smoth, sorry for the slow response. We'll be using hangouts (I'll invite you) for chat. We won't be using voice (it just wasn't better than pure chat in previous runs).
You can usually check the google docs for this info: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kTw ... ijdkm5palm
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I think voice would work nicely as long as voice happens in the same app that we chat in. Previously we voxxed in mumble and chatted in hangouts, and not everyone was in hangouts, so it made for a very awkward setup.

With hangouts we can all be in one group and collaboratively editing docs and chat and everything all within that one app.

That said, as before, I'm not going to bother making a big stink about it.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I think in LD32 I was probably the major reason voice didn't work out - I think my microphone may now be fixed, so can mumble if needed.

Not particularly keen on Google+ inspired stuff, I'd prefer good old text chat.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Google hangouts is a piece of shit. Google talk was good but hangouts is garbage. Their entire thing is pretty user unfriendly. Either way, I am cooking but I am here so when you guys get started send me an invite to the group chat. I would honestly prefer skype over hangouts.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Silentwings wrote:Not particularly keen on Google+ inspired stuff, I'd prefer good old text chat.
Fwiw, hangouts hasn't been part of plus for a long time.

Skype sucks, and the barrier of entry is only slightly lower (IE signing up for an account is about 30 seconds faster than a google account), but I have it and use it as well. I don't particularly care that much what is used although whatever is used should have voice and proper chat in the same app. That said, we're still gonna need to use a gdoc for our notes and stuff, so using hangouts makes sense because the doc can be done in the same window as the hangout with the chat to the side.
smoth

Post by smoth »

No, they had google talk a proper app. Now we have this shitty hangouts app. Skyp has better voip, I am not going to fight you on this. you like googles eco system I HATE IT.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

All this verbiage, and we haven't even started. And it's about "what comms tool to use"!

*Anarchid imagines the upcoming tech stack debates, dae vs s3o vs lups vs ceg
*Anarchid interrupts imagination: Despairing
smoth

Post by smoth »

yeah, I am kinda surprised. I have been sitting around all day waiting to start and starting to get annoyed.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Honestly skype and hangouts are mostly the same for just chatting which is what we'll be doing, and we'll be using hangouts because it was OK before and I have all your accounts already so it's low risk.

I'm against voice because it was a distraction and because people won't be available 100% of the time now so having chat history is important. Voice also requires you to be next to a PC with music off for a really long event.

I'd like to ask people to just accept irrelevant tech decisions and focus on the game making process. Only way to make this work :wink:
smoth

Post by smoth »

that is fine but where do I need to be? I have been just sitting here for like 7 hours now playing with other stuff.
gajop

Post by gajop »

smoth wrote:that is fine but where do I need to be? I have been just sitting here for like 7 hours now playing with other stuff.
It's to start in slightly more than an hour (when the theme will be announced), so I'll slowly start to make a hangouts group and add people.
There's not much more we can do before the theme is known, so all we can do is wait and discuss food :p

Return to “Ludum Dare”