Nouveau driver and Spring

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

otyugh

Post by otyugh »

Hey,
I've got an NVidia card, and for spring, it seems to works great ! Most of the time.
Sometimes, I get one random freeze (most of the time in a sudden move of camera, or a big action, but sometimes when apparently nothings going on) that actually, make Xorg crashing (like one time on ~15 games). The only way I found to get out of the hanging, that did not consist by unpluging the power, was using "Alt+SysReq REISU". Which grants me an exit from the frozen xorg and get to a tty. There I was able to see like loops of errors that pretty seem to repeat themselves endlessly (thus talking about "nouveau" sometimes). I was not able to restart xorg normally without proper reboot.

So my point is, I don't know how to analyze where the problem is coming from, or locate relevent loggs, I've no clue. I disabled shades as it's hinted to NVidias graphics FAQ. I also looked after "disabling advanced map shading (AdvMapShading=0) " ; but I'm not sure how to achieve that. Maybe it could resolve the issue, I'm eager to test this.

(the versions and stuff are theorically all the freshest stable ones, archlinux machine)

Thanks for reading.
Silentwings

Re: Nouveau driver and Spring

Post by Silentwings »

You could try running "spring.exe --safemode" (or linux equivalent) and see if that works. If it does, check https://springrts.com/wiki/Springsettings.cfg - safemode corresponds to the column on the right and you then have to the narrow it down manually to find what's causing your problem.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

otyugh wrote: So my point is, I don't know how to analyze where the problem is coming from, or locate relevent loggs, I've no clue. I disabled shades as it's hinted to NVidias graphics FAQ. I also looked after "disabling advanced map shading (AdvMapShading=0) " ; but I'm not sure how to achieve that. Maybe it could resolve the issue, I'm eager to test this.
You can disable this with the command /advmapshading 0 (there is also a similar one for units: /advmodelshading 0) in-game. Here is a list of user commands: https://springrts.com/wiki/UI_commands
otyugh

Post by otyugh »

A way I can automatize this (in a widget or config file for instance ? Because it's a crash once ~20 games sometimes, that would mean I'll have to writs this line 20 times assuming I won't make any fault to write it each time :/
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

otyugh wrote:A way I can automatize this (in a widget or config file for instance ? Because it's a crash once ~20 games sometimes, that would mean I'll have to writs this line 20 times assuming I won't make any fault to write it each time :/
Yes, either start spring.exe by double clicking it (or in linux probably run it without arguments) and choose settings: there should be these settings there.

You can also search your system for springsettings.cfg (on windows, maybe .springrc on linux) and edit this configuation file.
otyugh

Post by otyugh »

Code: Select all

AdvUnitShading = 0
AdvMapShading = 0
added to ~/.config/spring/springsettings.cfg, file which already existed (thus with no AdvMapShading line)
gajop

Post by gajop »

Why are you using nouveau? The proprietary driver is better in most cases.
otyugh

Post by otyugh »

I'm using some kind of fully free distro because it's a personnal choice.
gajop

Post by gajop »

No, you said you're using Arch. That would be Debian you're referring to.
otyugh

Post by otyugh »

The whole picture is that I'm using Parabolla which is very much Archlinux lesser a few unfree softwares pieces. https://repo.parabola.nu/docs/blacklist.txt
Most of the time it's easier to refer it as Archlinux because it's easier to get technical help without having to deal with all the "I don't agree with your choices" stuff...
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

No one is disagreeing with your choice - the suggestion is only that your choice might be the cause of needing technical help.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

i know, its not solving the issue, but maybe helps to protect against the "why are you using an opensource driver????"

i've an ati card and i'm using the opensource-driver, too

imho:
- all code should be opensource
- no/fewer problems with updating
- opensource drivers are written to match the standard
- bug reports aren't ignored
- theoretically i could help to improve it

back to the topic:

please paste infolog.txt the next time when it crashes! this maybe can already help to fix the problem.

when the system hangs/crashes you've hit... surprise... a driver bug. so trying to get a newer version maybe helps, too. you should try spring --safemode, too.
otyugh

Post by otyugh »

So I had, quite quickly, another hang after setting
AdvUnitShading = 0
AdvMapShading = 0
I did afterward disabled the widget "smooth camera" (or something similar that makes the camera move not abruptly) because I had the intuition I was each time moving the camera when the hangs occured. I did that, and for now, I was unable to reproduce the hangings. I'll now raise up the config (shades an all) to see if it was really "just" that.

Amen.
otyugh

Post by otyugh »

So it did happened again in a chicken BA map, the widget wasn't responsible it seems.

There is the infolog.txt : http://paste.debian.net/302244/
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

the paste doesn't exist?!
otyugh

Post by otyugh »

My bad on the expiration date :(

http://pastebin.com/8yjX2kpg
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

can you try with the setting DebugGL=1?

it hangs somewhere in XSync / xcb, not sure what this means.

relevant part from infolog.txt:
Warning: [Watchdog] Hang detection triggered for Spring 100.0.
Warning: (in thread: main)
[CrashHandler] Warning: Suspended-thread Stacktrace (main) for Spring 100.0:
[CrashHandler] Warning: [00] sigaction.c:? __restore_rt
[CrashHandler] Warning: [01] .../lib/libc.so.6(__poll+0x2d) [0x7f0899a1018d] __poll_nocancel
[CrashHandler] Warning: [02] .../lib/libxcb.so.1(+0xa9f2) [0x7f089760a9f2] xcb_connect_to_fd
[CrashHandler] Warning: [03] .../lib/libxcb.so.1(+0xc2ff) [0x7f089760c2ff] xcb_unregister_for_special_event
[CrashHandler] Warning: [04] .../lib/libxcb.so.1(xcb_wait_for_reply+0x61) [0x7f089760c411] xcb_wait_for_reply
[CrashHandler] Warning: [05] .../lib/libX11.so.6(_XReply+0x127) [0x7f089c192727] _XReply
[CrashHandler] Warning: [06] .../lib/libX11.so.6(XSync+0x4d) [0x7f089c18e11d] XSync
[CrashHandler] Warning: [07] .../lib/libGL.so.1(+0x45f0a) [0x7f089cecdf0a] glAreTexturesResidentEXT
[CrashHandler] Warning: [08] .../spring() [0x833b77] safe_strcat
[CrashHandler] Warning: [09] .../spring() [0x83a898] safe_strcat
[CrashHandler] Warning: [10] .../spring() [0x80bbf8] std::_Rb_tree_iterator<std::pair<int const, bool> > std::_Rb_tree<int, std::pair<int const, bo [...]
[CrashHandler] Warning: [11] .../spring() [0x46533a] std::_Sp_counted_ptr_inplace<unsigned char*, std::allocator<unsigned char*>, (__gnu_cxx::_Lock [...]
[CrashHandler] Warning: [12] .../lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf0) [0x7f0899950610] __libc_start_main
[CrashHandler] Warning: [13] .../spring(_start+0x29) [0x48e649] ??
Prominence

Post by Prominence »

This problem sounds similar to the problem of using gnash for viewing flash. Not all functionality is present or works correctly, and in some cases, it's impossible to do certain tasks if you can't develop it yourself.

It turns out Intel integrated graphics in Intel processors works out of the box for free software. Perhaps you could use that although performance may not be that great for gaming.

And/or have a separate computer for all your non-free software.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Prominence wrote:It turns out Intel integrated graphics in Intel processors works out of the box for free software. Perhaps you could use that although performance may not be that great for gaming.
i'm using linux with ati open-source drivers and had no problems for a long time. performance is okish...

but this doesn't solve the issues with the nouveau-driver, its just a workarround. ;-)

please stay on topic (which is about problems with nouveau-drivers)

Return to “Linux”