Ludum Dare 33 - Page 2

Ludum Dare 33

Moderator: Content Developer

FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: Ludum Dare 33

Post by FLOZi »

I'll be on as much as I can but in GMT Saturday 15:00-21:00 is usually out and Sunday 13:00 - 14:00.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I am interested but will have to check to see how well the timing lines up for me.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I won't be able to make it, sorry.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

You have my bugs
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

PicassoCT wrote:You have my bugs
And my [h]axe!
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

Google docs to the rescue!
Availability: (gajop feel free to re-purpose this doc)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VAr ... sp=sharing

Please fill in the approx. times of your availability
gajop

Post by gajop »

hokomoko wrote:Google docs to the rescue!
Aww thanks, where would we be without you <3
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

gajop wrote:
In the exact same spot, since you haven't updated the table yet... >_>

:P
gajop

Post by gajop »

hokomoko wrote:
gajop wrote:
In the exact same spot, since you haven't updated the table yet... >_>

:P
:oops: completely forgot about myself
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Always put times in GMT please. CEST means nothing to me and requires an annoyed google search to figure out.

For the sake of organization, can we please put all notes and organizational crap in google docs for maximum collaboration and sharingness please? If things aren't organized, I have the character flaw of becoming disinterested quickly (Taurus, always has a plan and end goal and all that good shit). Tl;dr, disorganization is really frustrating to me, so things like google docs collabs allow people such as myself to have an idea of wth is actually going on.

Also, mumble for voice chat and what for IM? Mumble sucks cock for IM.

Perhaps we could use google hangouts (supports up to 10 people in voice and/or video conference, google docs collabs + whiteboards and other collab stuff, plus it has an excellent chat built into it).

Edit: Fixed the timezones (added conversions) on the doc.

Edit2: Another positive of using google hangouts for collab would be that those of us not at our computers could actively participate in the discussions as android and ios hangouts support docs and whiteboard functionality as well as voice/video/chat.

Edit3: Hangouts whiteboards are then turned into google docs/drawing/spreadsheet format as well easily so allow for collab after the fact.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

The google doc says that 23:00 CEST is 10pm GMT which is false. So I made a new table for myself with times in UTC (it is the same as GMT except sometimes people think that GMT follows England daylight savings).
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Google says 23:00 CEST is 2pm PST. PST is gmt -8, therefore, 23:00 CEST = 10pm GMT.
gajop

Post by gajop »

We used Spring Lobby and Mumble as IM last time and it wasn't that bad, although it was a shame you couldn't see conversations that happened while you were offline. Github is also pretty good for issue-specific conversation.
Perhaps we could use google hangouts (supports up to 10 people in voice and/or video conference, google docs collabs + whiteboards and other collab stuff, plus it has an excellent chat built into it).
I think it would be best to use a different IM this time, and I would prefer either Hangouts or Skype (both record history while offline and offer ability to connect from the phone). I'd like to try Hangouts but it seems that even adding contacts is a non trivial task and relies mostly on your existing Google+/gmail contacts which is a bit disappointing. What's the simplest way to add people?
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

It is 9:28 AM UTC http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx
It is 11:28 AM CEST http://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/cest
The difference between those times is 2 hours. Note that CEST includes daylight savings which is causing it to be extra-awful.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

gajop wrote:What's the simplest way to add people?
Start a hangout, click on the add person button and enter their email address. They don't need to be one of your contacts. Can also enter straight up phone numbers too, so you can call mobiles or landlines for people without hangouts app capability on their phones.

Hangouts also does a good job of highlighting (automatically) who is speaking in conference calls.

For adding contacts, go to: http://www.google.com/contacts (I suggest enabling the new contacts preview ( https://contacts.google.com/preview/all ), as it's far better than managing contacts via the old clunky gmail interface.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Forboding Angel wrote:
gajop wrote:What's the simplest way to add people?
Start a hangout, click on the add person button and enter their email address.
OK, we'll try hangouts then and see how it works. We might even use it for voice if it turns out to be good, but since I have an inclination it won't (will probably be closer to Skype than TS/Mumble/Ventrilo) I still want people to prepare Mumble.

I'd like everyone to add their email to the google doc. I'm not a fan of sharing emails as it can lead to spam, but it seems it's needed to be able to add contacts. I'll add you all as contacts and make a hangout group/conversation/whatever before we start.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

if people have decent mics, hangouts sounds like the person is sitting in the room next to you.

Using it for all 3 functions would be best tbh. I'm not gonna raise a big stink over it, but considering that speed matters, getting any technical glitches out of the way of proper communication would be a good way to make sure that things go smoothly.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Forboding Angel wrote:if people have decent mics, hangouts sounds like the person is sitting in the room next to you.

Using it for all 3 functions would be best tbh. I'm not gonna raise a big stink over it, but considering that speed matters, getting any technical glitches out of the way of proper communication would be a good way to make sure that things go smoothly.
We'll try it for voice but it's probably configured to work in an always-enabled conference call mode, meaning that your mic is always on and people can't drop in/out during. Mumble has the benefit that you can mute yourself and enter/leave without any complicated (manual) administration. I haven't actually tried Hangouts for this so we'll play with that first thing.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

In hangouts you can mute yourself and come and go as you please as long as you're invited to the hangout.

So for example, you invite all of us to a hangout, as long as the hangout is still going, anyone originally invited can come and go as they please. Additionally new people can be invited at any time.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Doesent kick yet
Attachments
LionSpring.jpg
(98.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “Ludum Dare”