Status on BAR + repo links - Page 4

Status on BAR + repo links

Balanced Annihilation with remade Units

Moderator: Content Developer

FabriceFABS

Re: Status on BAR + repo links

Post by FabriceFABS »

AFAIK, BAR is still in dev status.
However this don't prevent you to play BAR !

I'm not sure that BAR will receive its own lobby :D

You can actually play :
:arrow: BAR on [ACE]Ticot],
:arrow: BAR-Chicken Defense on [ACE]Synchronous.

Just jump in it, SpringLobby or SpringWebLobby -and maybe others SpringRTS clients- will download necessary engine and/or MOD release.
Regards to maps, all maps are compatible.

Have fun.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I have updated BAR to run with the latest dev engine 103.0.1.2-297 and later.

All that currently prevents making a beta release (apart from time) is having a sane way of putting the mission files onto rapid.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Glad to see this is still going, how long until it supplants ba?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Currently, my only plan is to make a standalone singleplayer beta release.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

Singleplayer only?

Does BA have any decent AI that:
- uses most units
- can play on water maps
- can play on mixed land/water maps
smoth

Post by smoth »

SO, why is this still not out?
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

The BAR-development-server with the svn repository, bug tracker, etc is down since 13. March (not a Friday :wink: ) ~ 17:00.

(or the DNS entry wasn't correctly updated because the ip-address changed)

edit: seems it is up again.
Last edited by abma on 16 Mar 2017, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: up again!
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

Project reach hl3 status now.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

behes girlfriend murdered the project
smoth

Post by smoth »

As has become custom: Update?
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

As Smoth was asking... And news? There have been no updates to the SVN for months. Is it dead? What is missing? Can we help?
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

FFS what is exactly preventing this from releasing this in a public release?
gajop

Post by gajop »

Polish, and lots of it.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

gajop wrote:Polish, and lots of it.
Which levels of polish are you aiming for? I know that first impressions is very impotent, but if you let perfect be the enemy of good, then it will never be released. When a project is reaching HXH(Hunter X Hunter) hiatus status, I think it a good time to reevaluate your priorities don't you think?
gajop

Post by gajop »

Not a BAR dev so I can't comment on that. Have you played BAR? Do you think it's ready for a release?
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

No, I honestly haven't play BAR, but I did have high hopes for this project when this is announced, because the legal issues regrading BA and the deviations of it is technically illegal, nor is it ideal. I just checked the recent status on their website, and the issues I have seen are not exactly what I considered to be major. Unless I missed something important the last time I checked, there is nothing preventing this from being release as a public beta.

This project needs a developer who is willing to step forth, set up a patreon account and willing to commit active development for bar. I am not holding my breath for any project that is intend to obtain publicity by nothing but volunteer work. Even more so when it reaches hiatus x hiatus status.
gajop

Post by gajop »

I'm sure it could get far if there was an active dev willing to coordinate work. There are many people who would like to contribute and see it get released. The most likely candidates for an active dev would be Floris (who seems to be focusing on BA), or Beherith (who you'd have to reincarnate).

That said, I think it might move a bit faster if it was on github and had an active owner willing to merge PRs. Then perhaps an active contributor may become a core dev or something like that.

Should I add more speculations or is this enough? :P
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Hello again, speculators!

I guess its time for my annual reminder that github would possibly (<-edit) reject the BAR repositories due to their size and the presence of a large number of data-files.

Possibly also time for my bi-annual reminder that, as a derivative of OTA->AA->BA->... which deliberately preserves many close similarities - even if no bit identical files - the legal status of BAR is in much the same grey area as that of BA.

And lastly, all it really needs, for its next (and, for me, final) step, is for me to get around to re-testing and packaging up the missions. But I have a busy life. I could have done it at Christmas but https://github.com/silentwings/mutate-a-mod was more fun (and I might make an Easter bunny update too).

There is certainly lots of polish that could be added too, and it may or may not survive the stresses of an 8v8 game if anyone ever wanted to play one - but working on those parts is non-trivial. I have no plans in that direction, anyone sufficiently competent and interested should, as always, contact Behe via pm.

As far as I know, there is no longer any plan or real interest in having BAR replace BA for large online multiplayer games. I am not sure if this is due to it not being suitable or to BA having more serious problems of its own to deal with. I see nothing wrong with this situation; with apologies from me to those who do - perhaps I could have made it happen whilst I was still working on BA, if I'd had more time, but I didn't.

(@BA - if you would prefer to see BAR threads moved out of your forum, simply let me & the admins know via pm.)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Silentwings wrote: I guess its time for my annual reminder that github would (very sensibly) reject the BAR repositories due to their size and the presence of a large number of data-files.
I have to call complete bull on this. If Evo can exist on GitHub with all of it's massive binary goodness, bar can exist on GitHub.
gajop

Post by gajop »

I am curious about those claims as well (the soft limit is 1GB). Do you have a lot of source art files in there - and if so, would you consider moving that to a separate repository?

Return to “Balanced Annihilation Reloaded”