Maximum Annihilation? - Page 3

Maximum Annihilation?

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Master-Athmos

Re: Maximum Annihilation?

Post by Master-Athmos »

Updating the mod itself should take a week I guess. The new units also should require quite some time. When getting frustrated while texturing I might throw some "dummy textures" at them and release earlier...

With that said I wouldn't expect anything until the end of September...
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

I think this thread is another testament to the fact that Spring needs to stop changing things that are not broken. Seriously.

The first such change i care to point out is in the upcoming 95. Do not stop to look for content in the old locations when the new ones are introduced!!!
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

varikonniemi wrote:I think this thread is another testament to the fact that Spring needs to stop changing things that are not broken. Seriously.

The first such change i care to point out is in the upcoming 95. Do not stop to look for content in the old locations when the new ones are introduced!!!
<Insert witty photo of Amish barn raising.>

Many things change and for many reasons, most of them are very good reasons if you actually follow what is going on and have a couple dozen brain cells to rub together.
gajop

Post by gajop »

varikonniemi wrote:I think this thread is another testament to the fact that Spring needs to stop changing things that are not broken. Seriously.
You can just use old spring versions. That's one of the reasons why static spring builds and multi-engine support was done.
varikonniemi wrote: The first such change i care to point out is in the upcoming 95. Do not stop to look for content in the old locations when the new ones are introduced!!!
Completely off-topic but I kinda agree with this. What if someone actually has non-game mods? And besides, there's no benefit in actually removing it.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

"game/" support was added years ago, so var.'s statement is factually wrong.
it still could be discussed whether "mods/" support should be kept for longer though.
SevenArm23

Post by SevenArm23 »

When comes the new MA version out??
SevenArm23

Post by SevenArm23 »

Too bad that it was not anything made :( :( :(
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

Epic thread necro incoming! :mrgreen:

As I've been lurking, searching and reading around here for quite some days now, I might as well say something... :wink:
After years of absence from Spring I now have decided to pick up where I left all those years ago. I've made an (ambitious :regret: ) plan of what I want to implement in Maximum Annihilation for the next iteration and will just go for it. Much to my delight I see that the engine has made some progress in certain areas that will allow for some features I had sought after back in the days so I guess it will be fun to see some of my old concepts made real. It's also nice to see some familiar names back from the day still being active here and I'm looking forward to get in touch with you again!

So maybe keep an eye on this although you shouldn't expect anything substantial in a few weeks matter. But I might drop some information and screens along the way...
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Welcome back, give me a shout if you need any help bringing things up to date with 94+. :-)
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

Thanks! For now I pretty much have to start from the ground up and "LUA-fy" all those TDF files. Lots of busywork but I guess it's an opportunity to check for errors, clean up everything and give more structure - especially as some clunky conventions from the Absolute Annihilation era still might be lurking somewhere. I'm looking forward to get my hands dirty with some LUA gadgets though and if it is as straightforward as I think it is even some GLSL shaders.

It also is a bit sad to see the "beef" that has happened between some game/engine developers. The community seems to have scattered quite a bit in comparison to the situation a decade ago. As someone who gets back here and especially into what has to be done to be compatible with the latest engine version, it can get a bit confusing and hard to figure out what (feature) change or demand did really cause what reaction and what this means especially when collecting things to take care of and prepare for when updating MA...
SevenArm23

Post by SevenArm23 »

Hi Master-Athmos

Nice to see that you are back. :-) I'm very excited to for the new content.
prandipadaro

Post by prandipadaro »

there is a playable version?
source code?
dev link?
thanks
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

There's nothing I want to put out publicly yet. I know I have to come back with sort of a little bang and that's why I want to keep working on some features, VFX, units and new weapon types that require some LUA scripting. I can't pin down a certain date yet - it's still going to take quite a while though so don't be eager for something playable in the next upcoming weeks...

I'll probably post some previews here once I feel things are coming along nicely and there probably will be a a github for Maximum Annihilation with all the code and assets...

Until then have a happy new year!

Return to “Game Development”