Future & Past (doesn't that sound dramatic)

Some guys decided to attack each other with tanks and you can be one of them. /join #springtanks

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

knorke

Post by knorke »

Future
No recent advances since some time. The plan is like this:
1) wait until 0.83
2) make unzip-and-play installer for indiedb or some other site
3) see how non-spring people react to the game.
4) experiment over

Not because I think spring = BAbawwbaw but because after working on that cube-units-game* I did feel like making a spring game that could actually be released.
(*will realistically never be complete, though it is fun to play around with. But I will not spend 5 years on it which is the average spring game dev time.)
Actually I wanted to be done with that way earlier but the 0.83 release seems to be later than expected.
In the mean time I could of course ie pimp up the somewhat shallow gameplay; but since from the start this was a side project I do not feel like putting too much time into it.
That is also why I did no further try to ie make a custom SL (like ie evo has) because when I am not 100% behind the project it would be unfair to waste the effort of others on it.

tl;dr
With 0.83 there will probally be a final version.

---
Past
Somewhat related, just found this is making-of video of the unit script that started it all.
After every sucessfull /luarules reload I recorded a short video and then put them together. The random stuff at the start is just testing if there is a limit on how many pieces can be animated.
(In case the animation would not have worked out for some reason, that unit was designed so it would also look okay-ish with just the wheels.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvrnMXysM0Y
MidKnight

Re: Future & Past (doesn't that sound dramatic)

Post by MidKnight »

Cool post!
The Lua video is cool.
You should make/steal a super-simple lobby-- SL isn't too newbiew friendly.
Godde

Post by Godde »

The autohost is locked by the way.
knorke

Post by knorke »

yea :/
it does not work how it should: http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=26060
So there is no reason to use it instead of just relay hosting.
If you want to visit it for the kick, the password is an animal that can grow really large. :shock:
nightcold

Post by nightcold »

Just a thought, will you be updating the game to be compatible with future spring versions as time moves on ???......

to be fair you can only do so much with a ctf rts game....imo game was complected a long time ago, you were just adding some extra polish

best of luck to your future projects, looking forward to your stuff....i already LOVE the innovations you have done with spring so far
knorke

Post by knorke »

nightcold wrote:Just a thought, will you be updating the game to be compatible with future spring versions as time moves on
probally yes, that should not be too difficult.
to be fair you can only do so much with a ctf rts game....imo game was complected a long time ago, you were just adding some extra polish
True, the first version also got the most feedback/players. Sadly people would always place their startbase on some cliff or something where half the units were stuck. I always wanted to restart but usually people did not care ;) So I guess it was just interesst what this new game was about instead of actually playing it. Now "fixed" startpositions solve that problem but maybe the changes do not seem big enough give it a second try.
Anyway, thanks for your feedback :)

Return to “Spring Tanks”