Zero-K Developer

Re: Latest Released Version is always available at:

Post by Licho »

Does not work?
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

It crashes at the startup so i see nothing but thats okay, i just want a direct link, i want, i haven't played in a few months and i bet its awesome now.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

It is, however, it is only available via sd now O_o. I suppose i could release a stable version (generates an sdz), but it would be better if we could help you get sd up and running so you have access to all the latest and greatest.

Oh and btw, be sure to play it first on one of the "Official" evo rts maps for epic winrar :-)
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

Well the second reason besides playing Evo, is grabbing the script that changes hovertanks upright to 1 and 0 depending on terrain types, i need it badly for the land boats in xta. I also am interested in how you got explosion speeds working or shockwave speed reduced.
Last edited by Noruas on 16 May 2010, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Crashes how? Can you send me log? (SpringDownloaderErrors.txt) or screenshot if there is none?

(I assume you are testing latest version from http://caspring.org/wiki/sd )
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Noruas wrote:Well the second reason besides playing Evo, is grabbing the script that changes hovertanks upright to 1 and 0 depending on terrain types, i need it badly for the land boats in xta. I also am interested in how you got explosion speeds working or shockwave speed reduced.
http://redmine.evolutionrts.info/reposi ... ttank3.bos

Specifically, lines 56 - 80

Regarding explosion speeds: weaponVelocity = anumber,

then all you have to do is just time it to the groundflash of your ceg.

fyi, (if you had ever gone to the website you would already know this :-)) sauce is at http://www.redmine.evolutionrts.info
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

alternatively, you can also use this, to download:
http://github.com/tvo/rapid/blob/master/README.markdown
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

I dislike when people say "it does not work"
and provide no feedback to fix it. Its almost like trolling.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Welcome to SL land.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

BS, I've reported many bugs on the tracker and I have yet to see any of them fixed. The only time I see progress is when I tell BD or Koshi directly.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

hi forbs.

I thought you would appreciate me relating my experience attempting to play Evolution RTS.

I use Linux(Fedora 12), and spring lobby, because its the one provided in the fedora repository.

I happen to have filters on so that I can only see BA games, I forget to turn them off.

Anyway. so I think to myself. I want to try out something new. I tried CA already and it didn't grip me.(if anyone wants my opinion on that we'll take it elsewhere).
so I think Evo' RTS seems well made, lets check that out. wait I don't have the files.

Lets get the files. so I go to the downloads page on Evo' RTS site
blah blah windows blah Linux.. I dont want to learn how to install spring I already have that, blah... blah... and there it is.. requirement for SD.

I don't want SD right now, I have something that works and I want to play Evo' RTS not learn a new lobby. sure I might like to check out SD at some point, but that's not what I want to do right now. anyway, I don't usually let one thing stop me from doing what I want. so I click your link to, wait.. that doesn't lead me to the Linux version of SD. And i already have spring working correctly.

So where is Linux SD, you don't provide a link to SD from your download page. I have to google it to get there because I couldn't find a clear direct link even from the wiki here.

So their page is a mess which I wont go into. But it definitely was too many hoops to jump through. and I know exactly what I want to do, get the sd7 and put it in my mods folder. oh well.

I will just go back to the lobby, turn the filter off, download whatever test version is currently hosted on the auto host and test.

Hope you get something out of my stupid actions.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

SD on linux uses the same executable as windows, run with mono. Unfortunately linux support has been officially dropped, although that does not mean you will not be able to get it to run at least long enough to download the mod.

Alternatively, there is this: http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=22637
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

No need to use SD

Tobi wrote a rapid program for linux. Problem is, I don't know the commands for it :-(

I asked det a while back and this is what he told me:
[1:03 AM] det[THE]threat sudo aptitude install python-dev python-setuptools
[1:03 AM] det[THE]threat sudo easy_install rapid-spring
[1:03 AM] det[THE]threat rapid pin evo:test
[1:03 AM] det[THE]threat will install
[1:03 AM] det[THE]threat rapid update
[1:03 AM] det[THE]threat will update all mods you installed with rapid

I haven't testing using it with my ubuntu partition yet. However, I had a fedora user tell me the other day that it was easy as pie (of course no one ever tells me the exact commands to use (otherwise that would be listed under the download page :-(
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

rapid-spring provides rapid-gui (which is limited compared to cli)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Update:

sudo apt-get install python-dev python-setuptools
sudo easy_install rapid-spring
rapid pin evo:test

Supposedly that should do the trick. However, I have no idea how to update...

Also, as you can tell those commands are for ubuntu, so you'll need to "transpose" them for your particular distro.

Edit: to update use:

rapid upgrade

(Thank you BrainDamage! :-):-):-))
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Forboding Angel wrote:sudo apt-get install python-dev python-setuptools
This command is ubuntu/debian specific, for fedora I assume you would install these packages with yum.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Yeah, that's why I stated that users of other distros will need to transpose the commands.

Download page updated as well as the first post of this thread.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

continued...

python,python-devel and python-setuptools are already installed on my system but I cant run easy_install from the cmd line. probably a problem with my path.

Google and I find out that easy_install is only provided with python-setuptools-devel package.

so I've gotten rapid-spring and let it install Evo RTS for me

Now in my stupidity I accidentally deleted my .spring and .springlobby directories because I thought I was somewhere else. (this is in fact hilarious, because I'm no linux noob and should have known better)

I'm back on track now albeit without all my replays and maps and other mods whateva.

But I want to make a point.. I don't think I should ever have had to touch the cmd line in the first place. should not have needed to download another app with dependancies for a one time use.

The barrier of entry to Evo RTS is too high. I wanted to play yesterday within about 30 minutes not hours later after figuring out all the bits and pieces adding extras getting community help etc.

Please consider providing a manual installation method perhaps with a single sd7 to download and copy, or other means as simple. I think it would help your player base(from the linux camps at least).

It is ideal if you could get a package in an official repository(deb, rpm). and I wonder what is required for acceptance for that type of thing. I might look into that as it aligns with some personal stuff I have.

anyway time to test out Evo RTS. :mrgreen:
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

enetheru wrote:It is ideal if you could get a package in an official repository(deb, rpm). and I wonder what is required for acceptance for that type of thing. I might look into that as it aligns with some personal stuff I have.
Getting evolution into debian main seems impossible as it's licensed CC-by-nc-nd which is not ok under the dfsg. I don't remember if debian has a non-free section like Ubuntu, but that would the best chance. Ubuntu ppa (ie. spring's own) is also possible, albeit not very official nor technically in accordance with their terms.

Return to “Evolution RTS”