P.U.R.E. RC6 Release

WolfeGames and projects headed by Argh.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

R-TEAM

Re: P.U.R.E. RC6 Release

Post by R-TEAM »

Hi Argh,

o.k. - this is clear ;)
I understand the reason why it is splited in several files (but i dislike this :P )

I know that the folder/mods/prefs system from spring is very naive and non flexible build.
I would prefer a subdirectory for each mod in the mods dir with his mod files (most time only one) and lua/widgets/AI config files.
But i get tired from spring anyway - no save, only nice in online multiplayer play and then only with one mod (or with user unfriendly
reconfig waste -widgets/UI...)

maybe in the hopefull not soooo distant future it will be more end-user
friendly.

Regards
R-TEAM
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Argh wrote:we're probably going commercial.
Who is that "we"? I thought you were alone in WolfeGames
Argh

Post by Argh »

Well, you're mistaken :-)
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Who are you co-modders? How many of them are there? Why do they never post (beside that one beta tester guy)?
Argh

Post by Argh »

Maybe because we prefer to let me deal with you guys? Eman posts occasionally, though.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Progress report:

1. Space Chickens revamped. Many bugs addressed. Switched back to good old FBI/TDF to address several minor things that were annoying me about maintenance. Various content errors corrected, animations cleaned up to be more efficient.

2. Better special effects added, some new work on sounds. Finally found a really good solution for certain things that had been bugging me for awhile now.

3. Found a serious crashing bug with Windows XP64 and AppLauncher, dunno whether it's worth bugging Pxtl about, that can't be more than 1% of potential users.

4. No longer using Unsafe Mode where it's not necessary, for better overall compatibility with Mission Editor. Took a minute to get certain things working again, but it appears to be back to 100%.

5. Cleared a lot of crap out of my installer.

6. I'm working on a solution to provide a global search for common tasks in Widgets, to save CPU.

7. Certain units (Ion Laser, Mortar Tank, ZAP) are on Hold Fire by default now.

I'm also working on new maps, and of course more (and much-improved) single-player missions, and other little things, like adding wreckage for dead buildings. I'd also like to find some time for my Console++ ideas, but IDK if I'll have time.

No major balance changes thus far. I don't see anything that looks really horrible, and haven't had time to play it enough to be sure. Will be doing QA testing with Eman before we release anything else, to make sure that all facets are working correctly.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Where's the crash bug in Applauncher? It's prettymuch vanilla .NET code, if X64 crashes it, I'm really startled and disappointed in Microsoft (again).
Argh

Post by Argh »

It's immediately on startup. I'll talk to Eman, see if we get a crash log. As I said, not incredibly high on my list of major issues atm. Otherwise Applauncher's been fine on XP32 and Vista.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Argh wrote:It's immediately on startup. I'll talk to Eman, see if we get a crash log. As I said, not incredibly high on my list of major issues atm. Otherwise Applauncher's been fine on XP32 and Vista.
Weird. AppLauncher does make a log in some cases, but I don't know if it would log such an unexpected crash.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

we're probably going commercial.
:lol: .
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I would advise against going commercial and isntead use this as a crowning jewel in a portfolio. You would be best using this as leverage into getting a job as an artist at a games company.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Argh wrote:we're probably going commercial.
Oh Lawd

to be perfectly honest PURE in its current state is nowhere near good enough to be a commercial product.

But neither is any other spring project atm so dont take the comment to badly.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Pure being the mod which has about them most polish, new content, and overall looking the most professional and complete, if one mod could go commercial that'd be this one.

One hand I'd be interested to see how PURE going commercial would turn out, but on the other hand I'd feel bad if Argh ripped all the glory and made money from the work and gift of free code of others.

Considering there are plenty of unheard-of commercial RTS way better than PURE, I'm confident Pure will never grow too big anyway.
smoth

Post by smoth »

The very idea of it revolts me, but then again it is "their" choice. So it really is "their" decision so it really is none of our business. That being said, I would not agree that it is polished at all, a lot of it is rushed.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

if you compare PURE's polish to commercial titles its nowhere near that level. Not trying to say PURE is bad, it is in fact very good for a spring project and a game on an open source engine.

But the gap between Free RTS on an Open source engine and commercially viable title is huge.

A few problems that you will encounter.

Hardware Testing - A ton of bugs creep up because stuff needs to be tested on different hardware most of the prior releases of PURE have been subject to alot of bug fixing.

a Proper GUI and menu - This is pretty much self explanatory the little menu you got atm is cool and all but not really of a commercial standard.

Your Own game server and hosting - for your online play

Single player campaign - Not a necessity but it really is a huge selling point and most RTS's have them. The only ones that dont are usually MMO style (Battleforge).

+ alot more stuff that you should already know about.

Even if you meet all those criteria the title itself would not be worth more than 5 dollars.

Imo best bet is to polish it up a bit more and possibly try Steam and release as an indie game but i think thats still a long way away.
Last edited by Otherside on 16 Apr 2009, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Smoth: Polished compared to other Spring's mod of its size, but awfully rough compared to videogames sold in boxes in stores.

I agree with Otherside:
- I suffer myself from the lack of concern toward Hardware testing: Pure is like the only mod that refuse to work on my computer, and I was not be satisfied with the "support" Argh provided me, would be even less if I had paid for Pure.
- Going commercial means to face an audience made more of spoon-fed idiots that feels everything is due to them, and less with adventurous nerds willing to cope with a little roughness on the edge.
- You really need a proper campaign, and an idiot-proof tutorial, before selling.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

also the fact it is commercial means you are providing a service.

Unlike in spring were everything has been done for free so far and people are using there own free time to produce content.At anyone time someone can tell you to GTFO if something doesnt work or do it yourself if you want a feature.

With a commercial product you are entitled to provide a service. And if you dont offer a decent enough service for the price no1 will buy your product. With small games word of mouth is the most important type of advertising so customer service is were you need to excel :p.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

the artwork is fine except some of the fx (explosions persisting much too long, invisible projectiles on units), and the gui, menues, etc are all above the standards of other spring mods, but the gameplay? jeez, you cant market it as it is, gameplay wise pure is an early early EARLY beta at best.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Also, I tried PURE RC6 on an older computer, and this time it worked. I don't know yet if the problem I had was due to a bug in RC5 fixed in RC6, or an incompability with my newer computer, but anyway this time it worked. Except that:

I wonder if ModOptions is really supposed to be that empty. I expected Chicken options, or at least a couple Pure-specific option but all I had was Ghosted Buildings, Fixed alliance, the two speeds restrictions, and underformable maps.

I had a string of lua errors at start. Didn't seem to impact my ability to play, but you should have a look at it nonetheless.

After getting a couple structure up and hacking a cube, my playing with brutally interruped by a popup about a missing rock texture!

See infolog:
Attachments
infolog.txt
(48.62 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Argh

Post by Argh »

A patch for RC6 and the Space Chickens mode has been released. That game mode is still being refined, but it works now.

See first page of thread.
Last edited by Argh on 16 Apr 2009, 20:25, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Argh's Projects”