P.U.R.E. RC5.1 - Page 2

P.U.R.E. RC5.1

WolfeGames and projects headed by Argh.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

JLHack7

Re: P.U.R.E. RC5

Post by JLHack7 »

Argh wrote:I think I have gotten the infantry-spawn bug fixed for now. I'm going to issue a patch shortly. Other than the things below, are there any other major bugs, or balance issues?
building any resistance structure instantly crashes me too
So, Overmind is fine, but Resistance causes a crash for you? Or does the game crash whenever you start to build anything?

I'm not entirely sure what's up with this crash-instantly stuff. Whatever remains is pretty clearly hardware-related, because I can't replicate it on four different computers.

Usually it's sound-related, in this version of Spring (90% of the major bugfixes were aimed at sound-handling related crashes I found could be triggered by Lua deleting unitIDs that were still supposed to be around when a playsound event returned to a given COB thread, so I'm using Lua to generate certain sound events now). But there isn't any sound event when you're building the unit in question- my guess is that it's the GLSL shader for realtime lighting. Please pm me infologs.

Roads STILL don't show up
I'm surprised that that's the only major problem on the Intel chipset you're using. That hardware is really not within the minimum hardware requirements for this game, even after texture compression. Even if all of the features work, you will find the game unbearably slow, your GPU's going to be using system memory to try and keep up with the demands of the game engine, which is not going to work out well.
Nah 945 GM has 200+ tex mem, and with a dual core it makes things sooooo much easier

its not that slow tbh, I get like 80-100 FPS windowed mode, 800 x 600, small supreme battlefield staring at the commander from the default overhead height.

I can take plenty of units just fine
> 256 moving, nonfiring units (or 128 heavies most of which are firing SAM's) stuff starts to get bogged down a bit

@Overkill
Ground decals? I'll give it a shot.
Argh

Re: P.U.R.E. RC5.1

Post by Argh »

I thought you wrote 925... my bad.

Still, it really appears that there are some hardware-specific things going on here. Dunno what to do about that beyond what's already been done, it appears that Intel cards can't compile certain shaders, and that's nothing I can do about, given that they're key engine shaders, not something that I built custom for the game. The Resistance build-and-crash thing is still a total mystery over here. I need some infologs, people, this isn't something I can solve without knowing where the engine crashed on you.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

argh I got a graphical error as you can see here.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Please consider cutting the metal production on your maps to 1/10th and reducing the extraction rates by 1/10th. This will make PURE playable with all current Spring maps. Or include an extraction multiplier modoption.

If you really wish every scrap of territory to give resources, have you considered not using springs default metal extraction? Stacking circles effeciently is like tetris in a ballpit.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Please consider cutting the metal production on your maps to 1/10th and reducing the extraction rates by 1/10th. This will make PURE playable with all current Spring maps. Or include an extraction multiplier modoption.
[EDIT]Wait, I just read that again. You want me to cut the effective output on the current maps by 1/100th? No, I'm not doing that, it would totally ruin the current gameplay.[/EDIT]

@Super Mario: Does that occur if you play P.U.R.E. on different maps? Or just that one? Do you see this on other Spring maps, or just the stuff made for P.U.R.E.?
Last edited by Argh on 23 Mar 2009, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

I think he means to alter the metal output of PURE maps by 1/10th, and simultaneously increase the metal extraction power of PURE mexes by 10x. Or the other way around. Either way, I think he means to request that you make PURE work well on normal maps while still keeping the same gameplay on PURE maps.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Ah, ok. The first read, that's what I thought he meant, and I've already made that change, it'll be in 5.2, which I'm releasing as soon as I've tested with Eman.

Also... just checking again... did 5.1 resolve all of the infinite-multiplier stuff with troops? 5.2 should be solid, in that regard (and uses a better method, which should cover HeavyTroopers), but I wanted to make sure that 5.1 was playable.

I've also discovered (and fixed) a number of minor issues that were causing console spam. So this next release should be pretty stable overall, and I'll probably update the ModDB stuff at that time.
JLHack7

Re: P.U.R.E. RC5

Post by JLHack7 »

5.1 still crashes when I try building stuff
:\
overkill wrote:JL, turn on grounds decals/scars.
ty roads started showing up when I did that.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Send me an infolog, please. It's "infolog.txt", in the root folder for Spring.

I can't find(let alone fix) this bug until I have an idea what's causing it, and why it's only on some hardware.
JLHack7

Post by JLHack7 »

Argh wrote:Send me an infolog, please. It's "infolog.txt", in the root folder for Spring.

I can't find(let alone fix) this bug until I have an idea what's causing it, and why it's only on some hardware.
That's the thing
I'm a bigarse techgeek, when stuff crashes first thing I do is check logs.

Because spring doesn't actually CRASH, but locks up, it DOESN'T WRITE the error to infolog.
No joke.

Basically it just STOPS and does nothing about 1/16 of the way through building.

Info logs about it will only contain everything before the crash, but not the crash itself or afterwards.

According to task manager however... it hasn't crashed at all.
It's still burning the same CPU power before and after the lock.

It just does that "not responding" crap

EDITZ: Link me to a version > 3.x, but < 5.0, barebones install please, if this crashes too we can narrow down the problem to whatever was added in that version.
Last edited by JLHack7 on 23 Mar 2009, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
Argh

Post by Argh »

If you leave it alone, does it eventually crash, or just sit there forever? Give it 1-2 minutes, usually if it's some kind of infinite-loop or a memory bug, it'll crash by then.

Also, the Infolog is still useful, because it will tell me more about your test conditions- what OS you're using, etc.
JLHack7

Post by JLHack7 »

Argh wrote:If you leave it alone, does it eventually crash, or just sit there forever?
I can tell you in about 4 hours and 40 minutes.
When the new episode of Heroes comes on I'll pull the bug and just let it sit there while I'm watching Sylar kick ass and take names.
:P

k I'll send the pre-lock infolog

if you wanna come witness it for yourself I'll startup a server for TASClient at 24.218.157.128 port 21037 (lanmode, login as w/e)
Argh

Post by Argh »

JLHack7

Post by JLHack7 »

Argh wrote:Lol, np. As for getting RC4:

http://evolutionrts.info/pure/PURE_RC4_BAREBONES.zip
Thanks

And O.o

Ok get this
5.1, Mesa City, (not the player widget one)...
I do the "normal" stuff I do to start most of the mods I play
get in, and I think "Wait, if CONSTRUCTING an advance base crashes... how about /give-ing one...."

Guess what?
the newly spawned advancebase... STARTS SHOOTING AT AN ANCIENT REACTOR.

This was 5 seconds into the game, before anyone would have enough time to hack one....

o_O

EDIT:
More o_o's

I think its Luaui

the advancebase's fire status orders wouldn't change...
it was locked at Fire At will

and there was no transform button....
._.

EDIT2: got him to hold fire and listen to commands, still no transform button tho.

also got him to spawn infantry without crashing...
but he only spawns ONE guy.
Argh

Post by Argh »

the newly spawned advancebase... STARTS SHOOTING AT AN ANCIENT REACTOR
Now that's interesting.

Doesn't work that way over here, at all.

I've put in one new change for 5.2, we'll see if it helps.
JLHack7

Post by JLHack7 »

Argh wrote:
the newly spawned advancebase... STARTS SHOOTING AT AN ANCIENT REACTOR
Now that's interesting.

Doesn't work that way over here, at all.

I've put in one new change for 5.2, we'll see if it helps.

Ok.
Done some "experimenting"

Hack button, recycle button missing
Ancient stuff spawns then animations become the "hacked" ones

Any clue as to what this might be?

also:
Took the RC5 Full install, put it in the default install directory (instead of my normal one) then added the 5.1 patch
Same crap happened
Infolog attached

am going to go try just fresh pure 5.0 install
followed by a fresh spring install to the default pure directory and a then a barebones rc4 install.

EDIT2:
Fresh spring install + RC4 barebones doesn't work either.

Whatever you did with your safewidgets and nocheat thing, its crap.

RC3 ran beautifully, but not this.
Attachments
infolog.txt
(18.89 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

Argh wrote:
@Super Mario: Does that occur if you play P.U.R.E. on different maps? Or just that one? Do you see this on other Spring maps, or just the stuff made for P.U.R.E.?
All the maps that are specifically made for P.U.R.E gives me a annoying graphical error. I never encounter with this type of error when I just played BA normally.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Whatever you did with your safewidgets and nocheat thing, its crap.
It has nothing to do with that. There were lots of other huge changes between RC3 and RC4.
All the maps that are specifically made for P.U.R.E gives me a annoying graphical error. I never encounter with this type of error when I just played BA normally.
Hmm, that's strange. What is your video card?
JLHack7

Post by JLHack7 »

Argh wrote:It has nothing to do with that. There were lots of other huge changes between RC3 and RC4.
Well something in the scripting is preventing sides from being correct
All world editor objects are treated as hostile during gameplay.
:\ well at least I know its something in RC4

Next time I get the chance I'll run it on my parents desktop.
Nvidia 6800, 3.2 GHz processor.
I think that MIGHT be enough... (just a hunch :P)
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

JLHack7 wrote:
Argh wrote:It has nothing to do with that. There were lots of other huge changes between RC3 and RC4.
Well something in the scripting is preventing sides from being correct
All world editor objects are treated as hostile during gameplay.
:\ well at least I know its something in RC4

Next time I get the chance I'll run it on my parents desktop.
Nvidia 6800, 3.2 GHz processor.
I think that MIGHT be enough... (just a hunch :P)
ahahaha youve got one of the bum versions
pure go and clean all the broken versions of pure off the servers, 350 megs is too much to have to download more than once

Return to “Argh's Projects”