P.U.R.E. RC5.1

WolfeGames and projects headed by Argh.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Argh

P.U.R.E. RC5.1

Post by Argh »

RC5.1 Patch is here:

http://www.wolfegames.com/PURE_RC51_PATCH.zip

Many thanks to all of the people who have played it, and given us feedback that's helped us improve the game.

Changelog:
  • Crashes related to Lua / sound interactions are fixed.
  • Infinite-HeavyTroopers bug fixed.
  • Heavy Mech range nerfed.
  • Assault Shell health regen nerfed.
  • UI button area has been enlarged.
  • Air has been rebalanced a bit.
  • MultiTrucks have only 500 HP until they become static pillboxes.
  • Resistance AA pillboxes cost 200 Power / second, and have had their range reduced.
  • Smaller filesize.
  • May perform better on ATi hardware.
    Gameplay improvements to Mesa City map.
  • Guntank made stronger vs. UltraHeavy and Heavy armor classes.
  • Resistance Power Generator may be upgraded, at a cost of 500 Materials, to produce 500 Power.
  • Various small improvements and bugfixes.
If you already have P.U.R.E. installed, you can get it here, only 126MB:

http://www.wolfegames.com/PURE_RC5_PREINSTALL.zip

Other download locations will be offered when I've contacted the people who maintained mirrors for the previous release and put it on ModDB, etc.

ModDB downloads can be found here:

http://www.moddb.com/games/pure/downloads
Last edited by Argh on 22 Mar 2009, 17:33, edited 3 times in total.
Gota

Re: P.U.R.E. RC5

Post by Gota »

OK..that was fast...
congrats.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Um, I'd also like to say that we're still sure that a few things aren't balanced yet, and we would appreciate hearing about it. Among other things, we're not sure if Resistance air works, and we're really not sure if the MortarTank is OP or not, because it's ignoring shields atm.

I need to get going on conversion of several popular Spring maps for P.U.R.E., I'll be back later to hear people's comments on the balance changes, maybe get online to play.

Until the final releases of the game, I'm not adding new content to the main game. Balance changes / improvements are welcomed, please let us know what can be improved within the current game design. Patches that just affect balance or the core Gadgets can be under 1MB in download size, so I won't be hesitating to update them frequently, if people find issues.

World Builder will get changed considerably between now and final, so please be aware that I will be updating it, and putting out new versions, which you will need to sync. I will probably be updating both the version string on World Builder and on P.U.R.E. RC5 when I do that, to keep things clear and prevent borks as best as I can.
Argh

Post by Argh »

I found one bug in the release thus far, thankfully minor. The Hammerhead will give a COB error when it spawns. It's working, and it'll be corrected with the next balance release. Please let me know, if you see other stuff spamming the console, if you're playing the official, "pure" release. I can't help it, if the game does funny things and you're running non-approved Widgets- several of them do strange things to the game, and can cause errors in terms of play (one issue is so bad that I'm going to bring it up with the devs).

[EDIT]ModDB's on it today, for real. They got the news and downloads approved in two hours... amazing. So, it's official now... hopefully we'll see some major hits on the page tonight / tomorrow...[/EDIT]
Eman

Post by Eman »

Another round of testing. Makes me want to drink. Glad I have beer.

Anyone feel inclined to torture test it, I'm game for a few hours.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Am I allowed to say P.U.R.E is awesome by just looking at the screens?
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

if you already have pure yadda yadda yadda...
http://www.wolfegames.com/PURE_RC5_PREINSTALL.zip
does this work for RC3? :P
Eman

Post by Eman »

don't think so.
Argh

Post by Argh »

does this work for RC3?
Um, not quite, some of the music's missing. Should sync, though.
Andromeda

Post by Andromeda »

I still crash when building :cry:
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Unplayable. The Jetpack Trooper and Units exiting building duplication bugs still happen.

Also HP bars still don't show reload and Mex radius still disappears when zoomed out.
Attachments
20090321_170614_Mesa_City_0.78.2.sdf
(90.75 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

unrelated (kinda)

Argh, can you make a package of your scripts (and includes) so I can have a look at them w/out downloading hundreds of MB of stuff?
Argh

Post by Argh »

Unplayable. The Jetpack Trooper and Units exiting building duplication bugs still happen.
Do they only happen when you're playing with Widgets other than what's included in the core? Or every time, even in the "pure game" mode?
mr_cellophane

Post by mr_cellophane »

Well, I don't know how many people are having this problem,
I have tried to download the mod to use it on my current spring version (78.2.1) but short after I build my first building the game freezes.
Then I downloaded the installer and I got the exact same problem.
I tried disableling the widgets (I thought it would work for some reason) but it didn't solve the issue.
Thats a pity because this is one of my favorite mods.

But anyways from what I can tell from the pictures, good work lads!
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Argh wrote:
Do they only happen when you're playing with Widgets other than what's included in the core? Or every time, even in the "pure game" mode?
Every time in pure too. Sometimes I got 1 extra unit sometimes I got 20. The second time buildings.lua had some kind of table error in line 201. Maybe the unit created the first time wasn't in the table which caused the 20 units the second time.
JLHack7

Post by JLHack7 »

Installed RC3, had fun with using /give with the _spawn infantry

Installed RC5 upgrade, roads didn't show up

Overwrote the upgrade version with the bare bones RC5 from ModDB

Roads STILL don't show up

am going to try switching bit depth from 16 to 24.
my laptop may have a dual core, but its got an intel card that bogs it down horridly.

16 bit depth buffer makes a big difference in some games
(mainly when I used to play combat arms, fps went from 10 to 25, which, in an online FPS, having < 15 fps makes you a meat shield for other players)

I have noticed the depth buffer making a difference though.
In the Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy dev tools, the model viewer renders eyes/mouth on top of the face when in 16 bit depth buffer.
24 bit fixes this.

So yea, since bit depth made a difference earlier I'll see if it does now.

EDIT:
Tried it, still nothing.
Anything I might be missing?

EDIT2:
Wow when I try to build an advance base with the initial construction vehicle, about 1/16 of the way through, the game just locks up...

I mean usually games either cause "Spring has encountered a problem and needs to close" or a bluescreen (due to me playing so long that it actually used up all my RAM, no joke either, once Spring's mem usage hits the 700's (mb), BAM... BSOD, this only happens either when I've played for ridiculously long, or there's some sort of memory leak)

But not here, game just LOCKS up, starts not responding.
That never happens with any other mod ever.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

yeah building any resistance structure instantly crashes me too
overkill

Post by overkill »

JL, turn on grounds decals/scars.
Argh

Post by Argh »

I think I have gotten the infantry-spawn bug fixed for now. I'm going to issue a patch shortly. Other than the things below, are there any other major bugs, or balance issues?
building any resistance structure instantly crashes me too
So, Overmind is fine, but Resistance causes a crash for you? Or does the game crash whenever you start to build anything?

I'm not entirely sure what's up with this crash-instantly stuff. Whatever remains is pretty clearly hardware-related, because I can't replicate it on four different computers.

Usually it's sound-related, in this version of Spring (90% of the major bugfixes were aimed at sound-handling related crashes I found could be triggered by Lua deleting unitIDs that were still supposed to be around when a playsound event returned to a given COB thread, so I'm using Lua to generate certain sound events now). But there isn't any sound event when you're building the unit in question- my guess is that it's the GLSL shader for realtime lighting. Please pm me infologs.

Roads STILL don't show up
I'm surprised that that's the only major problem on the Intel chipset you're using. That hardware is really not within the minimum hardware requirements for this game, even after texture compression. Even if all of the features work, you will find the game unbearably slow, your GPU's going to be using system memory to try and keep up with the demands of the game engine, which is not going to work out well.
Argh

Re: P.U.R.E. RC5.1

Post by Argh »

Patched to 5.1, please let me know if you can still cause the infinite-replication bugs.

Other patches will be issued if I can get infologs for the remaining issues and can find a workaround. I'd like it to be technically playable on everybody's comp, if possible.

Return to “Argh's Projects”