Compiled List of Current TA Spring bugs

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Wingflier

Post by Wingflier »

Realize I am not posting these too criticize the creators of TA Spring in any way.

I compiled this list too help make TA:S a more enjoyable experience. Please tell me if I need too add any.
** Hope you don't mind, but I will add comments here, and questions - JouninKomiko **

I know it's been 2 days since I updated this and that a lot of new bugs have come in. Sorry, I'm just not in the mood tonight. But this forum is not dead. I promise I will update it tomorrow. (May 1)

Updated As of April 28 2005 List:

1)There is no way too kick somebody, in 'game lobby' or 'in-game' -- had to take this feature out cause of a .net bug. i promise, I'm looking for a work around (JK)

2)You can't use the commander's laser while driving him.

3)You can't turn the cheating feature off. People cheat...

4)After you successfully hosted game is over, people can't see the host's typing until the Spring application is restarted. -- THANK YOU whoever just figured out when this happens. Not fixed yet, but in progress (JK)

5)You can't ally or unally in-game.

6)Ships can become permanently beached.

7)Units become deleted sometimes.

8)There is no 'left-click' feature.

9)The level one construction bot's 'hatch' takes too long too open and close. Often it fails too start it's 'project'. Best suggestion is too make 'wireframe' timeout longer.

10)The shadows feature doesn't work.

11)You can't tell if someone else's game has started or not. If you can only fix one bug - Please fix this one. -- Fixed in the latest version (JK)

12)More players than the 'player limit' can join a 'game lobby'. -- Fixed in the latest version (JK)

13)Players who are using the OTA patch cause XTA games too malfunction. Is there any way too show if somebody's TA Spring folder has been 'modified', so that this can be avoided? -- Added unit syncing to the latest version. If all of your units show up as "disabled", then you're probably using a different mod than everyone else. Mod selection coming soon. (JK)

14)Transports fail to unload - they just refuse to.

15)Energy bar reports actual energy expenditures, not energy requests.

16)There is no way a game can be started if any of the players drop.

17)Several models are bugged graphicwise

18)Ressurection kbots don't ressurect

19)LLTs freeze sometimes and don't shoot at enemies even though they are there

20)Alt+tab from fullscreen mode to desktop and back (as server host) can result into bad graphical glitches (flickering) etc. and lost of ability too repeat this action.

21)Please move server error/debug messages to OWN window and do not combine it with player chat

That's all I can think of for now. Continue too add more if you can.
Last edited by Wingflier on 01 May 2005, 07:05, edited 5 times in total.
Storm

Post by Storm »

15. Transports fail to unload - they just refuse to.

16. The wireframe timeout needs to be longer becasue constructions dsappear before certain units have time to unfold. Arm Con. Bots build every other MT.

17. Recource bars don't really show the truth. Switching the metal makers on and off make no kind of difference to the Energy bar, nor does building more energy structures (since the energy drain value rises to just over the income anyway and units seem to build anyway). And please go back to once-a-secind drain... It makes easier to see if you are nanostalling.

18. There is no way a game can be started if any of the players drop.
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

19. Several models are bugged graphicwise

20. Ressurection kbots don't ressurect

21. LLTs freeze sometimes and don't shoot at enemies even though they are there.
ILMTitan
Spring Developer

Post by ILMTitan »

I would just like to point out that a few of these should probably be removed.

#1. The SY's stated that blips would be auto targeted, but the accuracy of the attacks would suffer, which a targeting facility would correct.

#17. It has been my experience that, when nano stalling due to lack of energy, the energy drain always hovers around the energy income. You can easily tell if you are nanostalling if the energy bar is bouncing near 0. Also, it appears that the game will take energy from metal makers and metal mines before withholding it from construction projects, so it is difficult to interrupt a nanolathe stream. A more accurate version of this bug would be "energy bar reports actual energy expenditures, not energy requests."
Storm

Post by Storm »

#1. Yes, too bad it makes aircrafts more or less useless because they are shot upon a second earlier. No fink has been able to monitor my base after I got an MT up. Same thing for bombers. They die before even CONTEMPLATING to bomb. Not to mention how hawk swarms are absolutely devastating because they carry concentrated firepower. The autotargetting really fucks up everything aircraft.

And heh, I've seen nothing of this misaccuracy. MTs always hit. Crusaders always hit. Enforcers always hit and so on and so forth. As for now, units are following the radar outline on when to shoot. Would it be so hard to change that into the los outline? I just blatantly assume the engine draws both areas in a similar way.

#17. Really, I want to see the requests. Obviously it only shows expenditures, but how can I know how much my base craves from me? Does it want 20 E or 200 E? Do I need to set an extra con building solars or can I spare it to something else? It's all about information.

Also, there no clearer signal than all the green stuff in the base disappear for a sec, and come back. Not to mention that it's a clear signal to the enemy. If my Peeper sees the enemy stalling, I would action different than otherwise.
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

Actually, one thing about resource bars - I noticed that expenditure is never greater than income if the resource bar is empty. So, if you don't get a resource increase, and the bar doesn't fill, you got a very intense construction going on nearby. Or somebody's given you an MMM.
Dwarden

Post by Dwarden »

- submarines gets often stuck in landscape / sea edge w/o chance turn back ...

- alt+tab from fullscreen mode to desktop and back (as servr host) can result into bad graphical glitches (flickering) etc and lost of ability to repeat this action (you want to desktop, all what happen is flicker blink of desktop and u back in TA) ...

- please MOVE server error/debug messages to OWN window and DO NOT (i repeat) DO NOT combine it with player chat ... NEVER ...
Wingflier

Post by Wingflier »

Updated. Keepem comin
FolCan

Post by FolCan »

You cant choose sides in LAn play
Wingflier

Post by Wingflier »

LAN play? How do you do that?

Do you mean launching and finding a server via the Spring.exe?
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

Some already reported but might be nice to include.

# Some path finding issues. Like on small divide the con units will get stuck behind trees, but THINK they are moving toward their target(if you build a mine layer and it gets stuck you can still see the move animation going in while it isn't moving).

# a row of defensive buildings has a tendency to not shoot because they are too close to each other and can't rotate their turrent or other part that fires.

# bb's wont fire if you target outside their range, but nothing will tell you that. So it would be nice to see the cursor change when you're outside the range of a building(like in ota the cursor actually changed)

# check if player has the map that's being played. Like with the new map, there is no message that the player who joined doesn't have it. And during loading the players who have the map become green, while the others stay red forever.

# alt tab will force your windows into spring resolution and refresh rate. Should do a real minimize and go back to original windows resolution and refresh like OTA did.

@ # 20: the resurrection kbot isn't that anymore. It's just the CORE Fark in XTA.

# Would be nice to have a more OTA interface where you can see fire mode and move mode constantly.

#commander can still dgun inside transport. Which will kill it. SJ's answer: then don't :)

#password recovery service for login in lobby.

@# 8 it's been explained why there is no left click feature. Maybe eventually we could go back to this with the loss of some features or the use of additional buttons.

@# 10 Shadows do work but only on dx 9 cards. Which is a shame, because on DX8 cards Spring in overhead looks crappier than the original TA.Would be greatly appreciated if a dx8 shadow path was to be implemented.
Dwarden

Post by Dwarden »

redfish i dont think that shadows issue is related directly to DX9 cards because i got ATI X800 and it refuse to work too ...

not to mention TAS uses OpenGL :)

i myself think shadows should work on anything with OpenGL 1.5+ and maybe even older ...
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

uh my commander uses his laser??
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Re: Compiled List of Current TA Spring bugs

Post by zwzsg »

The level one construction bot's 'hatch' takes too long too open and close. Often it fails too start it's 'project'. Best suggestion is too make 'wireframe' timeout longer.
No, best would be either:
- No decay during folding
- Laying the first frame only once folding is complete.
Several models are bugged graphicwise
That's not a Spring issue. Spring is mainly the engine, model are curretnly just the old cavedog models but can be anything. There was a project to remodel TA units, adding more poly and underside faces, specifically for Spring. Many model were already remade. I don't know why none was included. Look around, maybe you'll find thread about it. Note that player using different units models can play and interact with each others units, despiste the continuous sync error message (I tried with Stealth870 who had evolva models), in the current spring. However, having different script or .fbi for units would most probably prevent seeing the other player units.
Dwarden

Post by Dwarden »

aaaaah own objects ...
that explains these sync messages (definitely host debug messages must be in its own window not in chat one) ...

btw. another issue ,
allowing objects to be definable client side will result into exploting for cheating

i suggest add option for server to run so called pure mode (MD5/sha-1) check on used models ...
alik83

I'd Also like to add

Post by alik83 »

I'd Also like to add a few things together with some things already said here:
1)Heavy units can roll over DT's destroying them just like they destroy trees!
DT's in Spring are quite a lot less effective than in OTA, because of more splash damage, inacuracy and ground deformation which makes the walls lower
2)LLTs and especially long range canons(guardians) sometimes don't shoot enemies or ground(freeze). But long range canons shoot fine on High Trajectory. Rows of turrets packed together(MT's) also fail to shoot often.
3)Range problems: Some long ranged units (artillery on low traj, penetrator) fail to shoot when they must be in range. They either don't fire at all or try to get unnecesary close to the target. Also units with several weapons only use their most ranged weapon, not trying to get closer to use their other weapons (like panther).
4)And I repeat some cases of units get stuck behind trees thinking that thei're moving at least on small map.
And I should say I loved the area load/unload function which worked fine for me with air/hover transports ;)
Keep up the great work SY's and we'll hope to see some updates soon!
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Air transports work once but never again.
Spike

Post by Spike »

nuking terrain (with a dgun) to dig a pit, and then restoring the terrain can result in a submerged and invisible commander.
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

Dwarden wrote:redfish i dont think that shadows issue is related directly to DX9 cards because i got ATI X800 and it refuse to work too ...

not to mention TAS uses OpenGL :)

i myself think shadows should work on anything with OpenGL 1.5+ and maybe even older ...
They should work yes, they have to fix it.

I thought i heard a guy say his 9600 pro rendered shadows perfectly. Also on dx8 nvidia cards it says opengl extension missing. So it's something they chose to use for shadows that's prolly not included in dx8 nvidia cards or the new ati cards.
JFEinstein

Post by JFEinstein »

My ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 pro turbo do the shadows just nice.

Return to “Help & Bugs”