TA:WD - Page 31

TA:WD

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Poll of the week: Should NATO and Mospact be devided into seperate countries?

Poll ended at 14 Jul 2006, 20:26

Yes, let's have 20.000 different races and a million units!
7%
Yes, but only split the up in factions like US and Canada, UK and Germany, etc.
56%
No! the sides need to say Binary! keep as it is.
14%
No, just make seperate factories for Bombers, Fighters and Helicopters.
9%
Yes, give the player a choice what country to play in game.
14%

Total votes: 43

raikitsune

Post by raikitsune »

i would like to see donkeys with bombs strapped to them called "the gorkey butchev" please....... sorry i'm bored.
jerebaldo1

Post by jerebaldo1 »

Someone really needs to take over development of this mod. The balance issues with infantry getting WTF PWND loom large. The glaring bugs involving certain units not firing when they should and involving random crash bugs must be fixed by somebody. Groundzero is saddled by RL I'm sure, and there are still plenty of fellas pining for a modern warfare mod. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if someone took over.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

If you post a list of things that don't work/need to be changed, I'll make some fixes and upload a new version.
jerebaldo1

Post by jerebaldo1 »

I believe the LOSAT tanks don't fire at all, although I could be wrong. There is the whole issue with having to change an entry in unitdef.tdf or something in order to get WD to even work in the 1st place.

As far as balance goes, infantry still get morbidly owned by large caliber weaponry. There are no armor types defined in armor.txt. Armor types are critical for maintaining the RPS that modern warfare mods need. With infantry not being able to dig in or go prone, their small profiles need to be abstracted by letting Antitank weapons and missiles do little to no damage aginst them. That includes many tank units that are armed with sabot or AP rounds by default. Currently, armor types are a mess, with every custom dmg type defined in the unit text files themselves, OTA stylee.

But you would be a gentleman and a scholar in attempting to fix and enhance WD!
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Is 5b64 the most recent version? That's the latest I see on FU.

Lets start with bugfixes. Feed me the things that need to change in order for WD to function at all, without crashing, all the units working properly, ect.

Once things are running as they should be, we can start working on balance.
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

Nemo, if you need help on a new version, like TGA team textures or new buildpics we can team up and get something going..
Deathblane

Post by Deathblane »

I'll be on back home in a week with not much to do so if you need any 'grunt' work I'm happy to test and work on .tdf's and stuff.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

bumpbumpbump. the latest version I found seems to function just fine - everything builds, no script errors or missing textures.

Neuralize, mind whipping up some team pics for the lobby?

So, since stuff works, I can start tweaking balance right away. What needs fixing?
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

Mospact, Nato?
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Those are the sides, yeah <_< >_>. gogo creative license.

If we could make a short list of the most pressing balance issues (say, "the apache helicopter owns everything, even planes, wtf?!") I'll do what I can to address them.

I've got a few ideas on how to make infantry more useful/survivable. Most of them are borrowed from 1944, but hey, what can you do.

For example, how would you all feel about making an APC built in the barracks, so you can shuttle infantry around in reletive saftey right from the start (mechanization!)?

If you have ideas on how to fix the things on your list of issues, that would be helpful too.
Deathblane

Post by Deathblane »

Where is the latest version, on fileuniverse?
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Here:
http://www.fileuniverse.com/?p=showitem&ID=2737

needs to be extracted to work, I believe.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Looks awesome :)
maestro

Post by maestro »

jerebaldo1 wrote:Someone really needs to take over development of this mod. The balance issues with infantry getting WTF PWND loom large. The glaring bugs involving certain units not firing when they should and involving random crash bugs must be fixed by somebody. Groundzero is saddled by RL I'm sure, and there are still plenty of fellas pining for a modern warfare mod. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if someone took over.
WTF says who you unethical bastard! :evil:
You dont even tried to asked and such wont happened!!
SHUT UR FUCKING MOUTH!!
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

I think seperating the sides into US/Germany/Britain/France/Russia/China/Sweden/Other would be very cool. :P :wink:
raikitsune

Post by raikitsune »

FLOZi wrote:I think seperating the sides into US/Germany/Britain/France/Russia/China/Sweden/Other would be very cool. :P :wink:
that would indeed be ultimate a true modern warfare mod. however lol its not gonna happen is it lol. I've been playing a version with a restricted units lsit for a while now which we nicknamed bushwars but its basicly takign the high tech units hout and it being alot more basic. Quite fun to play actually.
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

US/Germany/Britain/France/Russia/China/Sweden/Other
Or we could stick to the nations in this world who actually have anything resembling a military, such as India and Israel, as well as most of the nations you mentioned above.
Mars Keeper

Post by Mars Keeper »

Charlemagne wrote:
US/Germany/Britain/France/Russia/China/Sweden/Other
Or we could stick to the nations in this world who actually have anything resembling a military, such as India and Israel, as well as most of the nations you mentioned above.

Sweden actually has some of the most advanced army on earth, but not much of it.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Sweden has one of the most cutting edge militaries in the world, Charlemagne, and has for a long time. :wink:

Better than France, at any rate. :P

Good point about India and Israel though. Japan has some interesting stuff on the way too, iirc.
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

Sweden has one of the most cutting edge militaries in the world, Charlemagne, and has for a long time. Wink
I live in Sweden, and I can guarantee you our military is absolutely worthless. Sure, high tech weapons are nice, but you actually need people and money to use it, and we have neither. Aslo, as one of the few actually in my opinion smart things our goverment has decided upon is to cut military founding, and eventually simply disband the whole military, saving several millions. We haven't been in a war since the 18th century anyway, and if someone invades us today, our army has no chance as it is, so why even bother? Either buff it, or disband it, and as a pacifist, I think the latter is the best idea.

I'm sorry, but Sweden has no place in any military game depicting large scale warfare after 1700, at least not anyone aiming for realism.

Return to “Game Development”