What happened to FU - Page 5

What happened to FU

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

*brings out a shotgun at the mention of FileP*ssbucket....*

Don't make me find and hurt you, kay?

Storm, keep it independant. Poke E1 and the other boredicons, I'll help ya annoy them into helping (i'd help, but i know jack **** about java or PHP)
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Is it down again?
Storm

Post by Storm »

No.
danpaul88

Post by danpaul88 »

If you need another mirror for stuff I might be able to help you out, we have unlimited bandwidth and disk space, but data transfer speed is not brilliant... we have been hosting a 100mb+ mod for CnC Renegade for some time with no problems though.

Send me a PM if you want more info :)
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Storm, I'm trying to donate but I get an error when I click on the PayPal button @ FileUniverse.

First I thought PayPal was down, then I thought it might not like my Firefox on Ubuntu installation, downloaded and installed Opera but that did not fix the problem. I had to hunt down a Windows system with IE.

Could you take a look at it?
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

An idea for maps is to let 3-4 people test by E-MAIL cuz you can send a mod too, then we have a couple betas around, but we can upload to FU after we have a more stable version, or as stable as it will get with the same people :P
.MJJNL.

Post by .MJJNL. »

why not make 2 buttons when you wanna download the map in the TASClient map list then 1 mirror is fileuniverse > and 1 mirror from r1ch
Molloy

Post by Molloy »

I have a couple of ideas:

1) There are a couple of mirrors of the map list up at the moment. Maybe if we had one of them linked to the Spring client for 10 days, then the next one for 10 days, they wouldn't exceed their bandwidth for the month too eacily.

2) There's an official map list that's linked to the lobby. It only has 20 or so maps. The maps change every month to encourage people to try new ones instead of Speedmetal and Altored Divide etc. every month. The rest of the maps are available on mirrors, but not directly through the lobby client.
KlavoHunter

Post by KlavoHunter »

Molloy wrote:2) There's an official map list that's linked to the lobby. It only has 20 or so maps. The maps change every month to encourage people to try new ones instead of Speedmetal and Altored Divide etc. every month. The rest of the maps are available on mirrors, but not directly through the lobby client.
You mean there are other maps? :shock:
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

.MJJNL. wrote:why not make 2 buttons when you wanna download the map in the TASClient map list then 1 mirror is fileuniverse > and 1 mirror from r1ch
Because AFAIK r1ch's hosting doesn't automatically update, and that would mean the most people would still use FU because it's the more reliable hosting option. That being said, what we're working on now is a more robust mirror system that allows any server to patch in and offer spring whatever maps it has with very little setup other then the server software install. Additionally hopefully we will eventually get commands like responding to client queries with sensical data that would allow us to do things like automatically start uploading the appropriate map if the user clicks the "download this map" button from the server with the least current load, saving time by not having the user have to hunt through all the maps up, and also saving bandwidth by not having to download all the mini maps just to have a user get a map that a game is being hosted on that they didn't have before. Other cool things would be possible like the minimap automatically downloading to the user from the game screen so they would see what the map they are going to download looks like in high res without actually having the map. Potentially we could set up keyword search systems integrated into client as well. The new system will eventually have the capability of much more robustness then the fileuniverse system was capable of, and since spring will own all the code if we lose our web coder we can get a new one to replace them, we don't rely on storm and gnome working them selfs to the bone.
iamacup

Post by iamacup »

you do not have an experianced php coder working on the site

that is why it is taking forever to get stuff sorted

i programed the whole of unknown-files.net in 2 weeks and it has multi mirror support, admin backend, comments, rating, screenshots etc i gave storm an ftp account ages ago but he has still to make use of it.....
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

iamacup wrote:you do not have an experianced php coder working on the site

that is why it is taking forever to get stuff sorted

i programed the whole of unknown-files.net in 2 weeks and it has multi mirror support, admin backend, comments, rating, screenshots etc i gave storm an ftp account ages ago but he has still to make use of it.....
We've got maelstrom working on it, but I'm not sure if he's ever done a project like this before. I'm sure if you wanted to help him out he'd be glad to oblige.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Your right, i havnt done anything this size before, but im getting there. So far its got multimirror support (but ive only got one mirror :( ), admin back-end is coming soon, maps are automatically parsed to grab info like number of players and map sizes, mods are coming next, they will have support for modinfo.tdf, linking dependant mods to each other, screenshots are kinda working, but i dont have the auto-generated thumbnails yet. Comments and stuff will also be coming soon, but thats pretty easy to make, ive made them before.

+1 e-penis. Go me.

I have seen your site though cup, it is VERY nice. one day i might be able to make somthing like that, but if you want to give me a hand on this one i would be quite happy.
iamacup

Post by iamacup »

i was talking about storm. lol i have no idea about maelstrom :P
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

FU and spring are different entities, while we help eachother out thier webcoders mostly do projects for them, while we have our own webcoders doing projects for us. It's become clear that the single FU server can't support the growth of spring indefinitely and we have several hosting mirror offers that we basically can't use right now because there isn't a system that belongs to spring in place to deal with them. Thats why we have maelstrom here working away to get a more robust system up for us.

Like I already said, any help you can provide would be very much appreciated cuppy.
iamacup

Post by iamacup »

my websites not all that flash, it just does what it does. im hardly the greatest ever php coder lol.

my idea for the TS lobby would be to change the download button, so it hits a central page, for arguments sake unknown-files.net/mapname.php

this gives only output of a direct link to the file from a selected mirror. the lobby client takes this, downloads the map and hey, done!

thus allowing full flexibility.

i did look at the source code but its got so many 3rd party components and just wont compile so i gave up.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I'm told a list of all the dependancies is in a file named !readme!.txt in the svn folder. I want to work with lobby client myself but I haven't had a chance to find it yet.
Jonny C

Post by Jonny C »

So why can't you just have bittorrent trackers on FU for each file and just make the person thats releasing the map/mod create the tracker, upload it and then seed the actual file from there pc? Maby even a customised "TA Spring Bittorrent" would be usfull? :p

Jonny C.
CompWiz

Post by CompWiz »

if you code it
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Unstickied due to it no longer being nessicary

Return to “General Discussion”