Metal Distrubution and footprint bug

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

jackalope

Post by jackalope »

The other day I lost a game and watched the replay. Turns out one of the enemies sniffed out our start locations but doing the "hover the mex build icon over likely starting metal locations to see if it is buildable" trick. I'm not so upset about that, although I wouldn't do it myself, but it made me think. If more maps are made with the metal distrubuted over larger areas and the mexxes have radiuses over 100 or so this trick would be more troublesome to pull off. Of course, this has probably been brought up before. I admit that distrubted metal makes me nervous when I play because I get concerned about whether or not I'm exploiting my metal to the fullest.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

WTR.
LOrDo

Post by LOrDo »

I agree, this should be fixed, and I think it can be done easily as well.
unpossible

Post by unpossible »

small divide anybody???
Rayden

Post by Rayden »

Additionally you can use the "walk over the mex and see the weird pathing"-trick :P
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

for cloakable mexes? f4 is a lot easier :P
smoth

Post by smoth »

not a bug... it is a sploit.

However, if that is the reason you lost then you need more work.
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

smoth wrote:not a bug... it is a sploit.
Can you say "+1"?
jackalope

Post by jackalope »

smoth wrote:not a bug... it is a sploit.

However, if that is the reason you lost then you need more work.
Why are you so hostile?

Anyways, please re-read my post, I didn't say that was why I lost. Usually when people mention two things and want to indicate a cause and effect relationship they will use words like "because" or "therefore".
smoth

Post by smoth »

Not meant to be hostile... this is kind of a repeat complaint. It has been discussed at lenght.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

lets face it thought this exploit can be REALLY useful sometimes
smoth

Post by smoth »

I never understood how, I always use scout planes to see what the enemy really has.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

it's mostly just a matter of knowing if an area you are going to move your con into is still safe
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Rayden wrote:Additionally you can use the "walk over the mex and see the weird pathing"-trick :P
This actually annoys me. I mean, I know it's cloaked... but currently, the _only_ way to see a cloaked mexx in AA is to use exploits. The cloakradius is less than the footprint. Imho, that's a problem. Once a unit is standing right next to the cloaked mexx, it should be able to attack it. I always get annoyed when I send a conbot to build a mexx, find out it's been taken by a cloaked one (by the building error messages) and then find out I can't order my conbot to just reclaim the nuisance - so I have to find a combat unit and order it to go over and blow up the invisble target, and baby sit it so that it doesn't keep pounding the debris to kingdom come.

But really, that's a discussion for the AA thread.

Return to “Map Creation”