In recent light of the FU incident

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Small text ads?

Yes, below the banner.
25%
Yes, to the side.
48%
No.
10%
No, different solution to funding/hosting...
18%

Total votes: 40

Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

How opposed would people be to a small google (or other text based) add at the top/side of the main spring site? It would have to be fairly unobtrusive, but it would hopefully be able to fund a seperate server for spring data or atleast help with FU.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

So long as FU sticks to the "Clean" advertising, i really don't mind it. But if their potential advertisers end up putting Spyware on the site, thats when i'll be opposed to the idea. But in all honesty, sites with advertising don't bother me at all.

I ussually just block them out of my mind subconsciously as i browse, i really don't notice them.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

We need to trick more people into visiting FU so they get better add payoffs and more donations oppertunities. We should probably be advertizing FU a little more at spring, but we don't need third party adds here, as they really don't help anyone.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Actually I meant on the spring site.
the vast majority of FU's traffic, which exceeds 12mbits per second at peak. Spring alone cost FU 700gigabytes of traffic this month
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

It would be better to make more use of bittorent for file distribution.
I really object stupid ad's.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

We're not going to run third part addbars on the spring site and steam the profits to FU. having FU linkbars here is different however.
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

Hey, why not add a search bar for our barely used Wiki?
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

SwiftSpear wrote:We're not going to run third part addbars on the spring site and steam the profits to FU. having FU linkbars here is different however.
Adbars/linkbars?
Betalord
Former Engine Dev

Post by Betalord »

I really don't see what's the point though, I know of at least 2 guys who offered 100 mbit servers for free to host anything Spring related, Cheetah is also pretty much unused, and now that Fnordia has a 100 mbit dedicated server as well, I don't see the point in sticking with fileuniverse which is not free and could require (as suggested) Spring site to become infestated with ads? I don't think so.
Shotgun

Post by Shotgun »

I think seeding of torrents with relevant files would be a good idea. I just registered 2day on this site and downloaded spring for a LAN, however i am now unable to get any maps. If someone could create a torrent seed it and post it on the forum of say 5+ good maps for up to 10 players that would be much appreciated
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

I think that this is a sign for p2p file distribution to be enabled for Spring. Whether it is through the lobby, torrents, or whatever, it needs to be done
DarkOppressor

Post by DarkOppressor »

I would love to start a torrent, but I just spent the last halfhour attempting to do so and I still can't figure it out. I don't know where to find a tracker, which I apparently need to make a torrent.
kissmet

Post by kissmet »

Thread for torrents.

I just started it, I know the tracker isn't the best. Also try http://www.ta-spring.com/maps/

I'm in the prosses of adding more maps as I type.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

torrents for maps is not a good solution, there are never any seeders for them, so hell no.
jackalope

Post by jackalope »

4 and 6 seeds right now.

we'll see if that keeps up.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Forboding Angel wrote:torrents for maps is not a good solution, there are never any seeders for them, so hell no.
Running a tracker in FU such that FU is a seeder for every torrent would work well - it's how Blizzard works with WoW. That way the torrents don't take FU out of the loop, but they help lighten the load.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Betalord wrote:I really don't see what's the point though, I know of at least 2 guys who offered 100 mbit servers for free to host anything Spring related, Cheetah is also pretty much unused, and now that Fnordia has a 100 mbit dedicated server as well, I don't see the point in sticking with fileuniverse which is not free and could require (as suggested) Spring site to become infestated with ads? I don't think so.
FU is free, and any other server we put the load on will sooner or later have the same problems FU does. Now's as good a time as any to look into a distributed filetransfer system.
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

Edit: might as well make this it's own topic...

http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5684
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

SwiftSpear wrote: FU is free, and any other server we put the load on will sooner or later have the same problems FU does. Now's as good a time as any to look into a distributed filetransfer system.
Agreed. In my opinion I think the best solution would be to incorporate a distributed filetransfer system (something akin to bittorrent, or even utilizing it) into the lobby client. Users could set the amount of bandwidth dedicated to seeding map files (and whether or not to only upload only when the connection is idle).

Return to “General Discussion”