..:New Map & L3DT Climate:.. Absolute Zero (Version2!)

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

What do you think of Methane World?

I Love it! Keep using it!
76%
Neat, but why all the colors?
21%
It sucks! >_<
3%

Total votes: 29

Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

Oi, i've been working on this Climate for a long time now. The first time i showed it off was with my map "Plutonian Pass" with which everyone pretty much felt was my worst map ever.

But dispite this setback i went back to the drawing board and tried again at making a worthwhile climate. I changed it from being based exclusively on pluto but more on a hypothetical "Methane World". I've always wanted to create a map based on an alien landscape and i've always been intrigued by the methane rich moons of our outer solar system.

The map below showcasing my final version of the Methane World Climate is called "Absolute Zero." Hopefully this one will please the eyes as well as our apetites for good gameplay.

This is the minimap for you all to check out. Also keep note, i've made it so that there are no metal patches in the "water" and that surface patches provide metal between 2.0 and 4.3

This Climate is Free for ALL to use! You don't even need to credit me for it! ^_^
Download it HERE!

Download Absolute Zero - Version 2
http://www.fileuniverse.com/?p=showitem&ID=3569
In light of the Bandwidth Crisis on FU, i'm using my personal server for hosting my maps. If anyone else would like to use it for hotlinking, you can contact me on the Client or on Xfire (quanto042) and i will be happy to host maps for you until FU is back up (i'm assuming when the new month starts).
http://www.themercenary.net/Spring_Maps ... ero-V2.sd7 <-- Alternate URL ***Hotlink***
Last edited by Quanto042 on 26 Jun 2006, 10:06, edited 4 times in total.
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

Quite a refreshing idea! Nice!

However some things:

- the mex radius is too small so upgrading to moho is troublesome.
- There are some straight lines along the texture (which are due to the OTA heightmap) which looks kinda odd.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I really like the lay out!
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

looks funkeh! will probably play it soon :p
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

That looks WAY better then the last one. Very wird and alien. It needs some ice crystals, though.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

Zoombie wrote: It needs some ice crystals, though.
Know where i can get some?? 8)
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

No.

Unfortunently.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

Poo... :cry:
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

I know.
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

Looks nice, very original. Only thing I dislike is the lines on the texture (maybe try blurring your heightmap a bit before compiling). Have you tried using the purple crystals from genblood's crystal harbor map? They are very purple but might suit your needs.
Targ Collective

Post by Targ Collective »

It is possible that they could be customized - a colour shift is not as difficult as modelling a crystal, so long as you have the tools to do it, and for the one job a demo program would be enough.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Quanto042 wrote:Know where i can get some?? 8)
*sighs* look here : feature resource thread.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

Added an updated Version of AZ to FileUniverse

It includes a larger Mex Radius as per NoiZe's Request, and also a lower Mex Value, i noticed that the higher values of metal led to a higher than normal tech jump.

And last but not least, also per NoiZe's request, i've doctored the Texturmap and removed those unsightly lines left by the OTA heightmap. So now it sould look and play better. ENJOY!

A VERSION 3 may not be too far off, i'm looking into how to make TDF files so i can attempt to include L Stanely's Tiberium crystals, and also some of GenBlood's Crystals, and yes, a colorshift is in order.

Download Version 2

http://www.fileuniverse.com/?p=showitem&ID=3569
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

quanto, when you render your maps. import as a design map first, then have l3dt regenerate the heightmap. Your textures will look much better. In my tutorial I have demonstrated to correct settings.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

So does it simply smoothen out the heightmap? or does it do other things as well. I dunno, aside from the annoying straight lines, i kinda like the contours that L3DT creates with the rougher heightmaps.

*EDIT*

I've also been wondering about the whole "Per Pixel Landtypes" thing...
If i create a designmap from L3DT will i be able to use it? and what exactly does it do for the texture?
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

If you import a heightmap into l3dt you cannot render a per pixel land type.
Pretty shure you need to have started with a design map in order to check this option.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

don't use per pixel. just use a 1:1 ratio and import as a design map.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

I like it, but it looks like it should have been bigger, or at the very least taller.
smoth

Post by smoth »

an even larger version (not this map 2x) but like more of this world and a larger map would be awesome, I think the stuff is all spaced quite well.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

smoth wrote:an even larger version (not this map 2x) but like more of this world and a larger map would be awesome, I think the stuff is all spaced quite well.
You know whats funny? After i read that post, a layout had suddenly popped into my head and i think it'll make a great 24 x 24 map. I can't say i'm willing to do any maps larger than that only because my current computer may not be able to handle it.

Return to “Map Releases”