Arm tech1 K-bot remake (texturing)

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Zenka

Post by Zenka »

I see it in your faces: 'Oh no, not Zenka and his crazy remodeleings again? why can't he just contribute to a mod that actually needs new models?'

Some people who've lost their lives a long time ago might remember my first trailer of Spring. There I discovered that most current models used arn't really meny for a full 3D view. (nor a PC that can actually render more then 200 poli's a unit). If this remake is used in a mod depends on the mod maker. (So yes, there is a change it won't be used at all, that's the risk ;))

Due to popular requests I turned my tablet to the k-bot lab.
Some missing poli's from the old one kinda bugged me. And I also reshaped it, keeping the original in account.

Now to keep things orginised and doesn't end in me changing the mesh after it is textured. PLEASE comment it now. When changing doesn't require a half-remapping.

Note, It's quite possible that the exact postion of the current kbot lab is not accurate.
Last edited by Zenka on 04 Sep 2006, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
Erom

Post by Erom »

Add some more detail to the four end boxes and the unit nanoplatform while you're at it.

On the boxes, just an endcap like on the crosswire boxes would be plenty. On the nanoplatform, I dunno, something.
unpossible

Post by unpossible »

is the current height of the nano platform above ground or not? i've never seen one in spring!
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

How are you going to animate it? it looks like it won't hinge up quite as easily as the original did.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Make the nano cone things smaller and on arms, plus add a face under the bits that slide horizontally so you can draw rails so it doesn't look as funny.
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

^yeah, and give it some sort of floor underneath the "lathing platform"
unpossible

Post by unpossible »

FireCrack wrote:^yeah, and give it some sort of floor underneath the "lathing platform"
the new decals can do that :-)
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

already looks pretty good, can't wait to see it textured :)
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

Yey comment!

I've added some stuff to the boring boxes ;)

A ground decal could sort things out like rails etc. However, if for some reason that is not wished (due to mod reasons) I could add it with poli's.

The detail on the small platform will be added with texture. I like it to remain flat.

As for the animation. Yes it's going to be a little different. I finnaly will have to learn scripting for a bit.
Erom

Post by Erom »

Very nice!
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Looks like you just added polies for the sake of it. You haven't added anything new.
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

Das Bruce wrote:Looks like you just added polies for the sake of it. You haven't added anything new.
I'm pritty sure you haven't captured my screen while I was making it. So I doubt you can tell how the unit came to be.* Thus I will happily inform you I've remade it from scratch.

It looks to you like the old k-bot lab with more polies: Good, that was suppose to be. I wasn't aiming for making a compleat redesign that doesn't looks like the old. Looks like I succeded in that.

*If you concluded it from comparing the two, you are not very good at it.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Zenka wrote:
Das Bruce wrote:Looks like you just added polies for the sake of it. You haven't added anything new.
I'm pritty sure you haven't captured my screen while I was making it. So I doubt you can tell how the unit came to be.* Thus I will happily inform you I've remade it from scratch.

It looks to you like the old k-bot lab with more polies: Good, that was suppose to be. I wasn't aiming for making a compleat redesign that doesn't looks like the old. Looks like I succeded in that.

I actually meant from your first screenshot.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

OK, whilest I like what your doing (making new models, wicked!) I think (and this is just a personl oppinion) that you have deviated too much from the original. The one thing that is right about all the TA units is how they move. (Note, I mean to say how they "look" like they move, TA actully uses loads of fudges that dont work in spring somtimes).

The hole top of the middel rising like that is the way its meant to be, and you have totaly adjusted how it would work. Whilst its not a BAD idea, Its losing its magesty.

Also, the little boxes on teh boxes are the wrong sort of detail... there just ridges for teh sake of ridges. What would be cooler is maybe some pipes exiting the hinges into teh boxes, maybe adding ribbing to them or somthing. Those would be cooler.

As i siad that just my opinion, and im not slagin ur effort off. just comenting.
aGorm
unpossible

Post by unpossible »

Das Bruce wrote:
Zenka wrote:

I actually meant from your first screenshot.
i think he meant the 'end boxes' not the whole thing
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

unpossible wrote:
Das Bruce wrote:I actually meant from your first screenshot.
i think he meant the 'end boxes' not the whole thing
Ah well, in that case: yes, there are only added a few polies. That was the idea, make non boring boxes ;)
I didn't wanted to remove the 'boxes' idea. Unless you have a brilliant idea that will totally blow me away. I'm all ears ^.^
Erom

Post by Erom »

I actually really like the new boxes, but that is probably obvious from my earlier comments.

On the topic of the animation, I've always felt a few of TA's animations (like the opening of this model, and the arm L1 vehicle factory) were sort of silly and unrealistic, and sort of clashed with the very mechanical, very "real" looking animations of most of the units. I mean, why would you put motors strong enough to flip the entire building open on a L1 factory? Surely there are better ways.
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

Well there doesn't need to be a reason, flipping the building looks cool.
But as you might have guessed, in the remake, it opens as following:
http://lassie.student.utwente.nl/vliet/Render2.avi
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

IMO, it is hawt sechks. A pipe or two would make it pwntastic :)

You can go mad with the polies, were not gonna see that many of these anyway.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

OH NOES!!!
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>SurfControl - Access Denied</TITLE></HEAD><BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" TEXT="#FFFFFF" LINK="#0000FF" VLINK="#FF0000"><center><table border="4" bgcolor="#0000D0" width="50%" cellpadding="6"><tr><td nowrap align="center"> <font size="6"><b>SurfControl</b></font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" nowrap>&nbsp;<h1 align="center"><font color="#FF0000">Access Denied</font></h1><p align="center"><font color="#000000">You have exceeded your daily worktime multimedia allowance of 10Mbytes<p align="center">You have unlimited access outside of normal working hours<br><br></p></td></tr></table></center></BODY></HTML>

Upload to FU!

Return to “Art & Modelling”