AATA Beta 0.9 - Page 24

AATA Beta 0.9

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Candleman

Post by Candleman »

Is this avaliable for DL? I'd like to give these guys a go.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Nemo wrote: Edit: Oh, smoth: yeah, the full automatic weapons use sprayangle and burstfire so the shots in a burst spread out.
The accuracy tag in spring replaces the need for that tag.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Well, the accuracy tag applies to the burst as a whole, I believe. Spray angle changes the angle of the shots within it. So it can be an accurate burst (ie, directly on target) but with shots that spray.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

smoth wrote:
Nemo wrote: Edit: Oh, smoth: yeah, the full automatic weapons use sprayangle and burstfire so the shots in a burst spread out.

The accuracy tag is from OTA and has a different effect. Unless it has been coded incorrectly in Spring.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Okay, so if I was putting together a small infantry force of about 20-30 troops, what sort of ratios would I want for a well-rounded force?

Let's assume I don't have a particular purpose for them, just a general purpose infantry squad.

(My mistake, floz. I seem to remember riflemen in AATA being particularly useless compared to the SMG'ers, but that could have arisen from other issues)
smoth

Post by smoth »

FLOZi wrote:
smoth wrote:

The accuracy tag is from OTA and has a different effect. Unless it has been coded incorrectly in Spring.
The higher the number the more a shot strays. Yeah it is there. what would I know though... I actually played with both.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Calm down. :lol:

It does not replace the need for it as they do different things.
smoth

Post by smoth »

sorry flozi, my bad. I was just a bit miffed.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:Okay, so if I was putting together a small infantry force of about 20-30 troops, what sort of ratios would I want for a well-rounded force?

Let's assume I don't have a particular purpose for them, just a general purpose infantry squad.

(My mistake, floz. I seem to remember riflemen in AATA being particularly useless compared to the SMG'ers, but that could have arisen from other issues)

when I set my barracks to repeat, I set it to 15 riflemen, 7-8 SMGs, 2-3 MG, 3 artillary officer, 2 sniper, 1 mortar, 4 AT of some sort (depends how long the game has been going - the later in the game, the more AT needed).

That adds up to a troop of 36 or so, and is a force that would be powerful at any stage in the game.

Mortars can project firepower a LONG ways away, officers can spot for those mortars, riflemen will deal with most infantry threats, SMGs will help when things get close and nasty, while the MGs can lay down covering fire from a ways away, or help establish a control point. And of course the AT troops provide tank cover. Snipers are just good to have to eliminate that mortar that's shelling you, or the officer that's spotting for it, or the enemy sniper, ect.

I like talking about this game far too much >_>

Hopefully we'll have something for everyone to actually *play* in the not too-too distant future.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Why would one build an observation officer over a sniper?
Candleman

Post by Candleman »

Candleman wrote:Is this avaliable for DL? I'd like to give these guys a go.
So I guess my lack of responses means no?
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:Why would one build an observation officer over a sniper?
Bigger sight range. Sniper's don't have binoculars or anything like that, so they should just have the same LOS and the rest of the infantry. Obs. Infantry have binoculars and a larger LOS and can therefore spot targets for the snipers that the snipers wouldn't have previously seen without having to get much, much closer
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Snipers have a slight advantage over other troops i think (scope!), but nothing compared to an Art. Obs. officer.

edit: Candleman, get on #aata on the spring client some time.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

So, obs officer + sniper = pwnage?
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:So, obs officer + sniper = pwnage?
Vs. a small group of infantry, yes. Vs a larger group it will be quickly overrun as the sniper has a pretty long reload time, and the Art Obs pistol is pretty much ineffective. Any sort of vehicle from Jeep up will obviously not have a problem either.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

actually...I believe that a sniper's range matches their LoS. And both are smaller than the LoS of an officer.

Edit: just checked. For the US, the sight range of a sniper is 165m (normal infantry are 100m), and the range of their weapon is the same. An officer can see about 225m away, but they have a pistol, so all they really do is spot.

If those ranges seem small, they're based on the assumption that you really can't identify a person without visual aid past 100m away, and if you can't identify them, you probably shouldn't be shooting at them.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Also known as 'Handy AAS Realism Get-Out-Clause No. 1' :wink:
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Good to see you've thought your dependencies out.

Might be worth taking the pistol away from the observation unit if it is useless, that way they won't go looking for fights.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:Okay, so if I was putting together a small infantry force of about 20-30 troops, what sort of ratios would I want for a well-rounded force?

Well, I assemble my squads in units of 12. Why? That's how many a SdKfz 251/1 halftrack can carry, and I mechanize all of my units.

Generally what I do is something like this:
-6 Riflemen. These are the grunts. They shoot and stuff and try to take the most fire. Nice range.
-1 AT troop. Good for killing slower motor units, stationary units, and especially buildings.
-3 Machineguns. Automatic weapons of DOOM!
-1 Sniper. Long-range support and spotting for the infantry's weapons.
-1 Mortar. Pure pwnination on large masses. Be aware that they tend to hit in front of stationary targets due to some sort of bug.

Depending on the conditions, I would of course vary the amounts. If close combat is expected, sub SMGs for some or all of the riflemen. Maybe an observation officer instead of a sniper or one of the machineguns. Since I mechanize my forces, I try not to have too many AT guys - they're ineffective, and I try to have light vehicles around to kill vehicles anyways.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Is mechanising your forces more efficient then just building a heap of barracks all over the place and pouring out troops (a favourite strategy of mine ;) ) ?

Surely the micromanagement required from loading up troops, unloading them, etc, isn't at all worth it?

Return to “Game Releases”