ES: Oblivion has earned my ire

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Firstly, the game is horribly unbalanced. If you haven't started your character yet, for the love of god don't try and be an uber-archer like me. Archery is basically the least useful skill in the game, and that's really saying something. A shot from an arrow will reduce your opponent's health by about 1/50th or so. If it's a surprise attack, which it should always be, it's more like 1/20th. However, an attack by a decent longsword deals 1/20 damage and doesn't require 5 seconds to load a bloody arrow before you can shoot again.

So I got a mod. Ultimate Archer mod, to be specific. Also got a few other mods, which make levelled enemies less lame, make the sky nicer, make the levelling system actually make sense (so your character doesn't become permanently nerfed if you spread your skills rather than specialize), and so on.

However... I'm now a level 70. I can kick anything's ass. Really. Some things are still a challenge though, because enemies are now more plentiful, and the quests are a bit harder, etc.

However - I realized that the game had virtually taken over my day. I was playing almost every waking hour for several days straight in fact. I was playing so much I was starting to get seriously worried about carpal tunnel syndrome.

To top it all off, I chose Wood Elf as my race, since guys with long ears are always badass (it's universal) and it said they were the best archers (a lie. anyone can be just as good an archer. It's purely visual. That'd be ok if they hadn't got me all worked up to be an awesome archer...). What's wrong here? WOOD ELVESS ARE LIKE 3 FREAKING FEET TALL. EVERYONE LOOKS DOWN AT ME!!!!! WHAT KIND OF HERO IS BARELY SHOULDER HEIGHT ON AN UNUSUALLY SKINNY, SHORT, FEMALE BEGGAR??!

Another thing that sucks is that even at level 70 I've only got enough mana points to use really powerful custom spells - not the uber-uber-uber-powerful custom spells, like drain life 100, fire damage 100, frost damage 100, shock damage 100, drain health 100, all of the above for 10 seconds. I can only do the one that damages for 1 second. However, even that is pretty cool - all of the common enemies are but one "Altor's Touch of Death" away from an early grave.

I realized what I had to do - I needed to make a clean break. I uninstalled before I could think too much about it and I've been clean ever since. I'm on the wagon. Oh yes, I'm doing fine.

...Until yesterday. Damn it, I want to know how the main quest ends. I REALLY WANT TO KNOW. I've also heard the evil assasin guy missions are really good, and I've only done the first one so far. So here I sit. Watching the progress bar as I reinstall. I hate myself. I hate my computer. I'm damn close to turning emo, I tell you.
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

Hmmm....

*waits for Emo Annhialation Mod*
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Wow, long post, I'm too poor to buy games, so good luck with that...
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Yup thats Oblivion for you...
Drone_Fragger

Post by Drone_Fragger »

Holy shit, My brothers getting this, And hes going to let me borrow it!

I muist stop him!

*Grabs shotgun and runs after speeeding bus*
unpossible

Re: ES: Oblivion has earned my ire

Post by unpossible »

Caydr wrote: Another thing that sucks is that even at level 70 I've only got enough mana points to use really powerful custom spells - not the uber-uber-uber-powerful custom spells, like drain life 100, fire damage 100, frost damage 100, shock damage 100, drain health 100, all of the above for 10 seconds. I can only do the one that damages for 1 second. However, even that is pretty cool - all of the common enemies are but one
look up 'taint magic' on google and try casting a series of 100 weakness to magicka on them before you blast the with a wekaness and then a damage spell ;)
then stop playing the game
krogothe
AI Developer

Post by krogothe »

I finished the game at level 5 :(
Soulless1

Post by Soulless1 »

RPGs exist only to absorb all of your useful time :P
Flint

Post by Flint »

This forum has been plagued by this horribly addicting game. Im not into RPG's, so I'm safe from it. For now.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

Flint wrote:This forum has been plagued by this horribly addicting game. Im not into RPG's, so I'm safe from it. For now.
You want to play oblivion.. you really do. srsly, a little try at least?

im only at level 24 :( altho i find marksman to be quite good. Ebony bow + Glass arrow = one shot on a dremora Kynreeve (i think it was, may have been kynnmarcher)
EDIT with sneak ofc
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

I finished the game at level 5 Sad
WarC players pwn yous comp ;P
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Weird, I have a marksman as well.
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

Caydr wrote:To top it all off, I chose Wood Elf as my race, since guys with long ears are always badass (it's universal) and it said they were the best archers (a lie. anyone can be just as good an archer. It's purely visual. That'd be ok if they hadn't got me all worked up to be an awesome archer...). What's wrong here? WOOD ELVESS ARE LIKE 3 FREAKING FEET TALL. EVERYONE LOOKS DOWN AT ME!!!!! WHAT KIND OF HERO IS BARELY SHOULDER HEIGHT ON AN UNUSUALLY SKINNY, SHORT, FEMALE BEGGAR??!
Yeah, the Bosmer have always been like that. oh, you forgot that they have really high-pitch whiny voices too.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Thats why i LOVE mods!
Mars Keeper

Post by Mars Keeper »

Zoombie wrote:Thats why i LOVE mods!
That game wouldn´t be complete without all the mods :wink:
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

In fact I am making a mod right...NOW!
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

I never spent long enough on Oblivion to get into it... Now I'm glad that I didn't... :-/
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

You're doing yourself a disservice.

Great game.
LOrDo

Post by LOrDo »

What about Morrowind? I bought that online a week ago and I'm waiting for it to come it, is it any good? It sure looked like it.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

LOrDo wrote:What about Morrowind? I bought that online a week ago and I'm waiting for it to come it, is it any good? It sure looked like it.
Morrowind was imo even better than Oblivion in that it had a hell of a story, an music that i chant unconsciously all the time.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”