Some brighter news

Some brighter news

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
Fnordia
Former Engine Dev

Some brighter news

Post by Fnordia »

As has been pointed out on the forums, the news about the site hacking has been the top post for far too long now.. We haven't really had that much to write about though. I guess something new is better than nothing though, so therefore two new videos has been created. One is fairly large and shows about 8 minutes of gameplay from a multiplayer game between me and SJ.

The other video is a little different in that it is recorded with Fraps instead of the built-in video capturing. The unregistered version has some annoyances such as only allowing 30 seconds of capturing and displaying a watermark, but it does record sound!

You can find these two videos in the download section as usual. There's also a few new screenshots uploaded, I found a few high-res ones that I meant to put up some time ago but forgot about.
Last edited by Fnordia on 15 Apr 2005, 16:22, edited 2 times in total.
sparkyhodgo

Post by sparkyhodgo »

You're my hero! We love news!
Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

God. The commander explosion in video 16.
Magnificent.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Yeah the commander explosion is really great. The other should be a little bigger, more dynamic...but anyway, it look REALLY GOOD.
You are making a great work !

edited : in fact I think little explosions look odd because we see the wreck before the explosion...but with a top-down view, I'm sure it look great !
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

NOOOOO!!!! I cant look till i get home! DAm You luverly people. I realy hate you now for being so dam good to us! Arrgghhh....

aGorm

On getting home and watching this...
Last edited by aGorm on 16 Apr 2005, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.
sparkyhodgo

Post by sparkyhodgo »

Yes, finally we know that sound works!

Did anyone else notice that vehicals climb hills very slowly and drive down them very quickly? Also, it seems kbots can walk places vehicals can't.

Finally, place video15 to 5:21. Notice anything funny about the samson? :wink:
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

@sparkyhodgo : hehe :)

I like the way artillery shot too :)
And the DGUN witch leave scare on the map!
and the way the metal is handle.
and .. :)

Hum, any word on how is represented the fog of war?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Nooooooooooo I have to wait till monday to downlaod these now1 Pity they werent posted ehre when I was in school with the 12MBps connection instead of now with the 56kbps connection
[Crusader]

Post by [Crusader] »

The Videos are real cool. GREAT WORK!!!

But one thing could be fixed: The Rocket smoke has a shadow... Would be great if you could fix it...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

But smoke has a shadow, imagine you're next to the launch site of a soyuz mission about 30 secs after its took off, and it's high inthe sky above you with that huge plume fo smoke, now obviously your not gonna eb very shiyn i the suns behind that plume f smoke, thats to say you survived the incinerating heat of take off.
Yopachi

Post by Yopachi »

WOW it looks done can I have it... now! Tight commander explody. :shock:
Justin Case

Post by Justin Case »

Alantai Firestar wrote:But smoke has a shadow.
depends on how much you've smoked
Archangel of Death

Post by Archangel of Death »

I can't wait for this to come out... After watching those battles in 15, I can't wait to play this with some "real" firepower being thrown around. It will make for a great fireworks show.

I must say though, the smoke trail shadows from missiles seemed a little weird. I think it just needs to be a little lighter though, look thinner. I'm very sure we can get over that small detail though, or at least I can. Assuming of course I'll be able to run it with shadows...

One question though, can it play music yet? Though I seem to remember seeing an answer to this somewhere...
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

I keep trying to move the camera to look around or give orders. :cry:
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

It looks so COOL! Like asumly! That comander blast is a blast now! and the way the bits fly over the map with big explosions near them! And that tank being tossed! WOOOW! ITS SOO GOOD YOU GUYS ROCK.

Must dash... take the vid to a friend... share the good news...

aGorm
Mars Keeper

Post by Mars Keeper »

I Want to see a vulcan annihilate a mountain!
Good work^^
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

I agree. 1 of you 2 get a LRPC to destroy a mountain for us :)

1 question. Is FOW in yet?
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

A vulcan won't annihilate a mountain. Just put 20 roaches on it and self D it's make a huge crater. I think these videos were recorded with los permanent, so that u get a better picture of what it can do.
it's a shame you can't get shadows on an older card that's not DX9 :(
WillRiker

Post by WillRiker »

iam not sure about the terrain, it seems to be too deformable, i mean by the end of a game what was a mountain may become a hole in the ground. i think they should think about making certain areas stronger, like mountains, and other areas weaker like beaches. also i didnt like the way units sometimes fired at targets which were below there horizon and thus hit the terrain. apart from that its comming along VERY nicely, when is the relase date?
Syffer Bidan

Amazing.

Post by Syffer Bidan »

The neatest part of Video 15 was the flying Stumpy. I did not expect Spring's physics system would advance to this degree.
My only complaints with the engine now are the smoke-shadows. When smoke or dust follows an object, the object itself should yield a dark shadow, but the dust or smoke should yield a very light shadow. In Video 16, some of the rocket trails looked odd due to the shadows of the smoke trails themselves.
Also, the Zeus's combat-ready animation is a bit off. When it draws the Thunderclap from its back, its left hand, instead of resting beneath the barrel of the gun, rests above it, with its palm facing upward, which does not quite make much sense. The Zeus should hold the bottom of the Thunderclap with its left hand, not the top.

Return to “News”