..:: New Map - Moon QX ::.. - Page 2

..:: New Map - Moon QX ::..

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

IceXuick

Post by IceXuick »

Yeah Zsinj, you're right again, but that was just too much for the heightmap :P. Could do some more texture overlaying with more crater stuff, but then again, it would make it hard to know what crater is real height, and what ones aren't. The second main aim here was to scatter some craters randomly, and the rest should be flat to wage war on. If im reading correct :P most people like the gameplay anyway. Esthetically i do agree with most, but as you also said, it doesn't really bother me, i like it the way it is.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The big crater textures look artificial, however the inbetween texture looks much better than any existing moonmap for spring or OTA imo....
TA 3D

Post by TA 3D »

Too bad we can't disable gravity so you can't use aircraft, or atleast make it so aircraft won't work, but spaceships will. Also can you make it so artilery are kinda ineffective due to low gravity?
krogothe
AI Developer

Post by krogothe »

AF wrote:The big crater textures look artificial, however the inbetween texture looks much better than any existing moonmap for spring or OTA imo....
yeah ive noticed that too! it looks really pixelated, same with some parts of digsite.. any way to do some smoothing on them?
IceXuick

Post by IceXuick »

Yeah well, i could have rendered at a higher res, but that was a bit too much time consuming at that moment.

If i do another map of 16x16 or larger, to get best quality i need to render it 4 times :D...

i'm hoping bryce will come up with a new release or patch, to use higher res heightmaps..
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Nah, I don't think the map needs the detail, Ice. It's got it's own abstracted style. Don't worry about it. I'm just saying that's one of the reasons why it looks a little artificial. I think the artificial quality gives it some character, so that it looks more like a fantasy sci-fi then a super realistic moon map. Most of your maps tend to have that flavour anyway, and it's definitely not a bad thing.
Flint

Post by Flint »

Very nice looking, downloading now and will play soon.
krogothe
AI Developer

Post by krogothe »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:Nah, I don't think the map needs the detail, Ice. It's got it's own abstracted style. Don't worry about it. I'm just saying that's one of the reasons why it looks a little artificial. I think the artificial quality gives it some character, so that it looks more like a fantasy sci-fi then a super realistic moon map. Most of your maps tend to have that flavour anyway, and it's definitely not a bad thing.
we are talking about the pixelation effect on some slopes that looks very ugly when zoomed in (as opposed to the rest of the map), not the surrealist crater shapes. I say let the computer work 4x longer but have a perfect map instead of just coming really close to it :wink:

Return to “Map Releases”