The United States versus the United Kingdom - Page 2

The United States versus the United Kingdom

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Which spelling is the only true spelling?

Poll ended at 19 Mar 2006, 09:28

Good olde British Empire english
39%
Colorful American english
17%
WTF ? 1337 Speak rulez !!!!!!
11%
I really, really don┬┤t give a damn
33%

Total votes: 54

Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

We say it the way it's spelt, and it's spelt aluminum.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

No its not.
wikipedia wrote:The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) adopted aluminium as the standard international name for the element in 1990, but three years later recognised aluminum as an acceptable variant.
Aluminium is the correct spelling.
Aluminum is acceptable.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

Wrong, my friend.

While Wikipedia may be the keeper of all knowledge, Google is the ultimate source of truth.

A Google search for "aluminum" turned up 110 million results.

A Google search for "aluminium" turned up just over 70 million results.

A bunch of old men hiding behind an acronym cannot contradict the holiness that is Google.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Felix the Cat wrote:Wrong, my friend.

While Wikipedia may be the keeper of all knowledge, Google is the ultimate source of truth.

A bunch of old men hiding behind an acronym cannot contradict the holiness that is Google.
Proves that a majority can't spell.

Heaven = 105 million
Hell = 147 million

does this prove anything?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

The interstate system is a fair bit more extensive then the autobahn system and it's easily just as old in most parts. That being said the Americans are DEFINATELY not better drivers then the Germans. A good 30% of the worlds top race drivers are german. They are a country born with a bit of motoroil and horsepower in thier genes. Even panther tanks had a bit of that racer spirit built into them.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

Well, I prefer American English since I am so used to it know, the majority of the English on the Internet is American English, however, British English has it's own flair, like as in saying armour instead of armor, defence instead of defense.
BlueIce

Post by BlueIce »

I cant distinguish the 2 languages like half of people that read the wiki... I don't care...

PS: There are roads still standing which were built by the Romans. So they are the best at build roads :lol:

Sorry for my english, :|
paulicus 25

Post by paulicus 25 »

he was right actually. in all dictionaries and in all the official scientific tables it will say aluminium. the amaricans say aluminum because they get confused when they get too many syllables in words (have you ever hear an american say antidisastablishmentarianism?). the only reason that you found lots of results fo aluminum on googly is because, strangely enough, more people live in the US than the UK therefore more people have picked it up wrongly and therefore there are more incorrect websites. to sort out the problem it is pronounced "al-you-min-ee-um".

anyway can we get back on topic here, as al-you-min-ee-um is not really related to TA Spring, is it? (you may decide to argue that springs can be made from Al).
paulicus 25

Post by paulicus 25 »

and youre right the romans built the best roads they lasted a long time but they didnt have american petrol wasting humvees driving all over them.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Actully, theres a hummer next door but 1 and I live in the UK... (unless you actully ment a humvee, compleat with guns, camo, in which case no there are none of them over here, just the civi version.) Hell just around the courner theres a stretch hummer, about 7 or 8 doors long.

And while the romans laided out half the roads, it has nothing to do with teh current road surfaces... they have all been tarmaced over...

While you have big wide roads, with flowing traffic, we still have something better.

The M25.

Definatly the largest car park in the world, it goes all the way around London!

Nowere else has a carpark like that!!

aGorm
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Americans/Canadians and pretty much everyone else in the world leave out the extra i... Alluminum... I think just UK/Aus/NZ/ect spell it the old, weird way.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

like all the other reactive metals are spellt?

lithIUM
pottasIUM
caesIUM
sodIUM
alluminIUM

Must I continue? :P
Gurkha

Post by Gurkha »

when it was first discovered it was called aluminum. This name spread. It was then decided to change it to aluminium to keep it in line with other metals, the rest of the world could handle the change, the USA could not.
Scientifically in the USA it's called Aluminium as it is colloquially and scientifically around most of the rest of the world.
The fact that the majority of the population of the USA can't get it right doesn't mean that the rest of us have to switch to the wrong spelling. Let us not forget that they call inflated polystyrene 'styrofoam'.

So speaks The Gurkha, all hail The Gurkha!

*head expands so much that it explodes*
Betalord
Former Engine Dev

Post by Betalord »

Moved to off-topic
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

Weaver wrote:

Proves that a majority can't spell.

Heaven = 105 million
Hell = 147 million

does this prove anything?
That they're both spelled right?
paulicus25 wrote:he was right actually. in all dictionaries and in all the official scientific tables it will say aluminium. the amaricans say aluminum because they get confused when they get too many syllables in words (have you ever hear an american say antidisastablishmentarianism?). the only reason that you found lots of results fo aluminum on googly is because, strangely enough, more people live in the US than the UK therefore more people have picked it up wrongly and therefore there are more incorrect websites. to sort out the problem it is pronounced "al-you-min-ee-um".
I actually heard Americans say antidisestablishmentarianism twice yesterday. In the context of a party game, no less. I think the spelling differences are more of the British needing extra letters in order to compensate for deficiencies elsewhere... :wink:
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

OK... Id like to point out... English are speacking English.

Americans are speeking American English.

Notice... the english langue is named after teh people that invented it.

The american language is named after the people they nicked it off.

Clearly English English is therfor ALWAYS the corect way to spell things, cause we invented it.

aGorm
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

You folks spell armour as 'armor'???

I'm scared now...

And 'defense' is just silly.
mother

Post by mother »

Felix the Cat wrote:I think the spelling differences are more of the British needing extra letters in order to compensate for deficiencies elsewhere... :wink:
Actually I think they just find our english too efficient and want to add a few extra letters to be a little more french-like.

<takes all the American english speakers aside> look we pwn like everything in the world, who cares if we let them have their flag denominate the english version of the spring wiki...
smoth

Post by smoth »

bah, all of the UK VS US stuff gets old.

The us creates and produces most of the software.

The us creates or produces most of the hardware...

Therefore bah, we set the standard. programing is in a DERIVATION of OUR laguage.

I am not going to say any names but a certain person tried to argue with me that americans are wrong for pronouncing acronyms. However, on a term like GUI we pronouce GOOEY... well it is our acronym. so blah.

either way, I get tired of either side trying to start a pissing contest. yeah, computer science is ours... cry me a godamn river... you guys at least have the open-source movement. I will not ever say that it in any way belongs to america. So now that the groundwork is layed out...

I voted I do not give a fuck. I am just tired of the fucking dick stroking.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Gee-you-aye. :roll:

'Gooey' makes you sound like a noob.

Although I'm willing to drop the acronym thing if you just use a hard 'i' in 'tri's'.
Well all my proffs use 'Gooey'...

Personally I spell out acronyms most of the time, but I don't really think there's a correct or wrong way to work with them...

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”