In Game Text Unreadable

In Game Text Unreadable

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

ThundershockeD

In Game Text Unreadable

Post by ThundershockeD »

Hi there - just installed spring on a new machine but the in game text is unreadable - I refer specifically to the minus energy or metal values and the text on the order buttons for all units.

On the buttons some of the text just seems too small to read but in the case of the energy and metal usage the text is so pixellated that I cant make the text out.

Things I have tried so far:

Changing screen smothing types in windows,

Changing in game resolution from 800/600 to 1024/768.

Neither of these have helped, and solutions are greatly appreciated as microing any units and my economy is pretty much impossible.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

This isn't a final solution, but you can change the TTF font for another one in the spring directory ( I copied Rockwell to the spring directory, renamed fluxi.ttf to fluxi.bak and renamed the font I had copied over to be fluxi.ttf)... also, on some displays the menu text you speak of is completely invisible... I have made a bug reportabout it... if they change the menu items to images it would solve both our problems.

EDIT: Also, don't run spring at 800x600 unless your computer is garbage... I have a p2.4 and 512 ram and a Radeon 9200 and I have no problems with 1024x768
ThundershockeD

Post by ThundershockeD »

Thank you very much, I shall give that a go.
zippy

Post by zippy »

I have the same problem, and changing the font doesn't help.

The ingame text is too small to read. It appears highly pixellated.

I've got an ATI 9700 with the latest and greatest catalyst drivers.

zippy

Post by zippy »

(would really like to play Spring, but the unreadable text is a definite turn-off ;))
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I'm really sorry... but that screenshot you posted? I can read every word on that page... I think you need classes... or possibly a better monitor...

edit: okay I was just being mean there... does it dfo that in ful screen too?
mother

Post by mother »

Wait, thats horrible jpeg artifacting from over compressing the image- the screen didn't actually look like that did it?
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

That looks like an overly compressed jpg to me, you can see the artifacts clearly in the message box.
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

zippy wrote:I have the same problem, and changing the font doesn't help.

The ingame text is too small to read. It appears highly pixellated.

I've got an ATI 9700 with the latest and greatest catalyst drivers.

You call that unreadable? Consider getting glasses if you think it is that bad
zippy

Post by zippy »

mother: it did. There are minor artifacts from JPEG compression, but the blocky, pixellated text actually looked like that. I have the large, unreadable PNG to prove it. ;)

Its most notable in the lower left hand corner.

Anyway, its not an issue anymore.

I tracked down the problem being to the default resolutions: I have one of the "new" wide-screen laptops, but the default resolution settings only support the standard resolutions. After I manually input a resolution that allowed for the extra width the text was no longer scrunched together, although it still is, in certain places, unusually "small," but not illegiable.

Thankfully I figured it out myself. I don't think I could have done it with the help of the community. ;)

Return to “Help & Bugs”