Request for BA repo transfer from Bluestone - Page 3

Request for BA repo transfer from Bluestone

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Re: Request for BA repo transfer from Bluestone

Post by Ares »

Having ownership of a hyperlink is not what this is about. This thread is a request for a transfer of BA repo ownership.
Attachments
bluestone.png
(194.66 KiB) Not downloaded yet
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

@ Ares, Bluestone is being reasonable. I suggest you work with him instead of continuing to fight against him.

Also @ Ares: please don't conflate your wishes with the wishes of the BA community. Represent yourself, and avoid using other people who (mostly) couldn't care less as scapegoats.

@ Bluestone – if the intention is to keep the commit history intact, wouldn't a viable solution be for yourself to fork the BA repo, and then transfer the original to Ares?

But back @ Ares: It doesn't matter who "owns" the repo, it matters that the game is improving. Use your opportunity and improve the game, please. This is coming across as an ego-driven war. And in war, everyone loses, even those who win. To argument is to self-destruct. Bluestone has given you a path to redeeming your social image. Take it, else your problems will grow.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

@ Bluestone – if the intention is to keep the commit history intact, wouldn't a viable solution be for yourself to fork the BA repo, and then transfer the original to Ares?
It's an organization, which means its not just repositories - there are some overarching settings, historical info of members/collaborators/teams, an audit log of everything that was done ... its not much additional stuff & it relates basically only to BA10 (which afaics "old BA" has no association to), but its non-zero and you can't "fork" or copy that lot elsewhere. You can rename an organization, and you can make perfect copies of individual repos and all their history without forking, including of the BA repo itself - hence why my suggestion is the way around that it is. Afaict Ares basically doesn't understand this & perhaps he has never even used version control before.

Probably worth remembering that the current repo was created by Floris by importing of (one of the) trac repos on the previous host Behe ran at imolarpg.dyndns.org, which in turn came from I forget where etc etc ... there's nothing new and exciting here, just an easy way for Ares to take the BA repo without needing to be trusted by anyone, if he can't handle anything else. Better though is full commit rights, just get on with it.
Ares

Post by Ares »

Silentwings wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 01:14 It's an organization, which means its not just repositories - there are some overarching settings, historical info of members/collaborators/teams, an audit log of everything that was done
This is why ownership is being requested. BA exists only as code and history across time, to deny BA that, is to deny BA everything.
Silentwings wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 01:14 Ares to take the BA repo without needing to be trusted by anyone
There is no issue of trust there is an entire community and 2 years of progress. Accusations like this don't belong here, this is a conversation about moving forwards. You are saying I can't be trusted while you are the one preventing BA from owning its own Github repo. How good a coder I am is not the issue. I am not seeing any trust demonstrated by you.

You can't see "visible progress" because you play no part in the BA community. You do not play BA, you do not develop BA, you don't even know the bug Galileo mentionned has aleady been fixed by me. You "only faintly remember" the names of regular BA players who have been part of this community for 10 years. Fulfilling the request is a simple meaningful gesture you can do.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I think we reached the end of this road. You have full commit access, you can make official releases, use it or don't, your choice. Atm I don't trust you enough to give more, if in time you generate some commit logs of actual work & don't make endless dramas about it, in time we can talk again.

Also, fwiw you are hopelessly mistaken about me and the current BAR. I have literally nothing to do with it, I've never even logged in to their gameserver (sorry BAR people, I have seen screenshots, it does look nice...!).
galileo

Post by galileo »

Please don't rename BA project/repository without community consensus.
Please don't move BA project/repository without community consensus.
Please don't delete anything without community consensus.

Please remove rights to anyone who walks against community consensus.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

It's great to hear, that there is progress on the BA code!
Now push those changes to Github, and everyone can see the work being done.
It will be transparent to everyone how regularly and how much work is done by whom.
The whole ownership thing will then not be an issues anymore, as the merit and trust goes to the active developers.
That's how open source projects work.
Ares

Post by Ares »

Bluestones conversations in private channels of the BA discord show he encouraging and setup the BAR team. He uses strong arm tactics, lies and manipulation. These behaviors are not compatible with the position of Spring moderator.

Additionally he is responsible for banning and continuing to ban BA from the main server. The reason the Spring community is fragmented is only because of Bluestone's actions.

As a Spring moderator Bluestone has behaved unprofessionally by acting out a personal vendetta against BA demonstrated by repeated moderator actions that specifically target BA users and repeated acts of coercion against them. As long as Bluestone remains as moderator player numbers on what used to be a thriving official server continue to fall. Bluestone is causing permanent damage to the future and success of the Spring ecosystem, disrupting and fragmenting the last resistance of an already small community. BA is not killing Spring, Bluestone is.

Remove Bluestone from the position of Spring moderator.

gajop: User was banned for this post and spamming the forum by opening multiple threads with the same text. The length of the ban is 2 weeks, and will be extended further if this kind of abuse continues.
Thread is also now locked as it has clearly run its course.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”