RIP BA

RIP BA

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Megatron

RIP BA

Post by Megatron »

the monday before last, pre 104 engine was banned from springlobby and there hasn't been a single proper game of BA since that day. Some people switch to techa, but not all or even most; and techa has never been as popular a mod. This engine ban seems to be a disaster for the spring community as a whole; it was like someone shut off the light switch.

There is nobody playing anymore.

Does anyone care to address this obvious problem?

Regards,

MegaBuster
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: RIP BA

Post by Forboding Angel »

Probably because it isn't a problem.

Please avoid making posts which belittle other users and offer no constructive response. (Silentwings)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Please avoid making posts which belittle other users and offer no constructive response. (Silentwings)
1. I didn't belittle anyone.

Your post dismisses the concerns of the OP as unimportant / non-existent. This is belittling to the user and their concerns. Avoid doing so.

Take requests from moderators seriously, especially on topics for which you have a history of repeatedly enflaming discussion. (Silentwings)

Good luck making a case that I did.
2. It is not a problem, therefore it is not seen as a problem.

Older engines can be hosted if the game is 8 players or less. Therefore, this is not a problem.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

BA Games are usually > 8 players/spectrators?
Flash

Post by Flash »

Forboding Angel wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 07:25

Older engines can be hosted if the game is 8 players or less. Therefore, this is not a problem.
The problem is noone wants play with 8 players or less.
Before the ban we had like 10-20 ba games a day now there is 0 on official lobby.
For people that are not playing that might not be a problem.
But for people actually wanting to play the game. IT IS
jetbird

Post by jetbird »

I dont undestand the reason of the ban.
Why not to just let players to play whatever they want to?
Is it a harm to play ba 9.46 or spring 103?
Why ban??? :?
Megatron

Post by Megatron »

I don't understand it either. This isn't how you treat the community of and old game that is on life support. This is how games die.

At least half of the BA community does not want to play BA10 or Techa. They just want to come home after a long day of work and relax on the game they know and love, and have loved for years.

Whoever decided banning 103 was a solution doesn't seem to have much respect the wishes of the community.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Is there a version of BA + engine that works while maintaining old BA mechanics? What's the issue with PA or whatever?

If there's a reasonable alternative for BA (and for other popular games as well) I support the forced min engine version. The old one is not supported anymore and might have security issues and bugs.

However if there isn't a real alternative - which I think is the case judging by user feedback, this move should probably be reverted for the time being... It's kinda shortsighted - we gain nothing by alienating (and likely losing) players. Can't force a move if there aren't any active devs.
Megatron

Post by Megatron »

as of right now there is no alternative. Silver is working on porting ba9.46 to 104 but it hasn't happened yet. As of right now a large portion of the community feels they are being blocked from playing the game they want to play.

What i find particularly offensive is that S1944 was given dispensation to violate this 103 ban. I would love to hear the engine devs justification for that, nepotism seems the only explanation.
gajop

Post by gajop »

As I've answered in another place the S1944 nepotism idea is wrong and frankly a bit insulting. I recommend you exercise more reluctance before placing unfounded accusations.

I've never seen s44 mentioned in any story about botflags in the dev channels/subforums that I have access to.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Megatron wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 17:18 as of right now there is no alternative. Silver is working on porting ba9.46 to 104 but it hasn't happened yet. As of right now a large portion of the community feels they are being blocked from playing the game they want to play.

What i find particularly offensive is that S1944 was given dispensation to violate this 103 ban. I would love to hear the engine devs justification for that, nepotism seems the only explanation.
quote from #newbies

<Flashdislikesba9ban> if u just want to chat... why open a gamelobby??
<ThinkIRC> Flashdislikesba9ban: To catch potential newbies to s44

BA community seems to be in the way of some people that cant handle the failing of their own mods... (Thinksome S1244, Forbs EvoRTS)
But how should banning the most played mod helping to bring players to dead games?
gajop

Post by gajop »

Do not drag unrelated people through the mud. Consider this my only warning.
Keep this on topic - 103 version ban and how it affects BA.
Megatron

Post by Megatron »

gajop wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 17:34 Do not drag unrelated people through the mud. Consider this my only warning.
It doesn't' get anymore on topic than this. People are entitled to their opinions. You're prob not american, but try to have some respect for freedom of speech. You're an admin not a bully, try to remember that.

*begin countdown to thread getting locked for saying things the admins don't like*

"freedom is the ability to say that two plus two equals four"
Flash

Post by Flash »

gajop wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 17:34 Do not drag unrelated people through the mud. Consider this my only warning.
Since they took part in the discussion and supported the ban they are not unrelated imo.
I dont know who was in charge of this decision but whoever was, should finally act and stop that ban!
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Listen, i know in your head your on some barricade right now fighting the evil empire supressing the freedom of the commoners.
Reality, meanwhile, continuous to be boring, complex and greyish, lot more like homework, les calvin & hobbes adventuretime.
Still lets stick to it.

The guy pouring all his spare time into the engine- has decided that upholding backwards compatability is hard work.
Like really hard work, and expensive. Windows supports ancient programs.
SpringDev is not microsoft, we can not stay behind forever.

So how do we force ancient software to update, less it stay behind forever?
Spring Core is currently rewritten to support some new gfx features. For this sacrifices have to be made.
We dont want to antagonize the playerbase.
But if you want to be supported in future by Spring Infrastructure, i suggest you get the maintenance guy to speed things up. Regarding porting BA.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Freedom of speech isn't a universal right you can exercise on privately owned mediums of discussion and as you guessed correctly, I don't live in the US -interestingly, the country I'm in has laws for slander - it's a criminal offense.

Anyway, you are free to call in question this decision, but you are not free to keep blaming uninvolved/unrelated devs and players.
Flash

Post by Flash »

PicassoCT wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 17:52 Listen, i know in your head your on some barricade right now fighting the evil empire supressing the freedom of the commoners.
Reality, meanwhile, continuous to be boring, complex and greyish, lot more like homework, les calvin & hobbes adventuretime.
Still lets stick to it.

The guy pouring all his spare time into the engine- has decided that upholding backwards compatability is hard work.

So how do we force ancient software to update, less it stay behind forever?
Spring Core is currently rewritten to support some new gfx features. For this sacrifices have to be made.
We dont want to antagonize the playerbase.
But if you want to be supported in future by Spring Infrastructure, i suggest you get the maintenance guy to speed things up. Regarding porting BA.
For now Ba9 seems compatible for all, even mac users (unlike ba10)
So for me as a non programmer it just makes no sense banning a working and compatible 103 for an non compatibe (mac users) and unstable (subjective experience) 104
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Have you heard the sound a playerbise and the devs make, when they have too do a two major engine release jump? It sounds like hell sucked through a wormhole. 103.0 is deprecated.
Flash

Post by Flash »

PicassoCT wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 18:09 Have you heard the sound a playerbise and the devs make, when they have too do a two major engine release jump? It sounds like hell sucked through a wormhole. 103.0 is deprecated.
The "arguments" pro ban are getting crazier every day. I thought after "TA is like BA" or "Just play quality 4vs4" you would come up with something better
jetbird

Post by jetbird »

PicassoCT wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 17:52 The guy pouring all his spare time into the engine- has decided that upholding backwards compatability is hard work.
Microsoft did not ban windows 95 or 3.11. It just doesnt provide support for them. Why SpringDev can't stop 103 support without banning it?

Return to “General Discussion”