PV = global LOS

PV = global LOS

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Jools
XTA Developer

Re: PV = global LOS

Post by Jools »

Are you sure it's a widget? Widgets don't get more information than human players do. Unless it somehow makes use of some readily available information to produce that outcome programmatically...
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

One can join as spectator and cheat. The world is full of people with brittle egos, who would sell theire grandma the empire state building, to feel a short thrill.
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

Jools wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 13:15 Are you sure it's a widget? Widgets don't get more information than human players do. Unless it somehow makes use of some readily available information to produce that outcome programmatically...
Silver (I think??? It was a while ago??? Forgive me if I got the wrong name please – I just know a player talked about this) was talking about how it's supposedly possible to recompile the engine, and change a single line of code, and thus a player would have global LOS. (He also stated that he'd done this for a player that is greatly suspected of spec-cheating in the BA community, I don't know if I can trust his word when he says he did that… he says other questionable things… he also seemed to indicate other cheat-ish things were possible from what I saw him say)

As far as I know, this would affect every game running on the Spring engine, judging by what he said.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Changing a sloc results usually in a different engine binary hash. Which results in desync.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

PicassoCT wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 12:03 Changing a sloc results usually in a different engine binary hash. Which results in desync.
If that were the case then I'd never sync since I build my own engines. Additionally people on different operating systems would not be able to play with each other.

It is highly plausible that changing one line would be enough to give you global LOS. Doing this would also not affect the simulation part of the engine and hence you would not desync. If someone wants to cheat they will find a way to do so.

Work on breaking up large rooms and turning off trueskill. The latter made games much more enjoyable for me, as I could play without worrying about losing games and hence points.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

But seriously, who gives a shit about TS anyway? Like... Really?
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

PicassoCT wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 12:03 Changing a sloc results usually in a different engine binary hash. Which results in desync.
How so? how is the hash calculated? What if you hardcoded the proper hash?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Senna

Post by Senna »

Today Cartouche used some tricky things against oponents like nuking enemy in the edge of anti ranges without scout.

I propose to block some certain parts of the new spring engine versions for not being modified and modified gameplay and block custom widgets.

If we dont do something this game will die....
Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

you don't know what PV means its not a widget or hack

the widget jammar was previously made as a protest to covert data collection of system info

joining on 2nd account has always been possible for spec cheating so don't start knee jerk blaming widgets

widgets are one of the most empowering things for players and devs, doos anti exploit is about the extent u can abuse widgets, silver distributed some more sophisticated hack to try and trick players into downloading it a while ago but that was not a widget
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

What is PV, then? Adolf used to mention "paid version" a lot. He also talked about it coming from Zerver. And being multi-threaded.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Why is it the first time I hear this? Why aren't there proper reports anywhere?
Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

yeah PV stands for paid version, which is a running gag alluding to the scenario where BA starts adding premium paid content to an open source game
Sabutai

Post by Sabutai »

Senna wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 20:59 Today Cartouche used some tricky things against oponents like nuking enemy in the edge of anti ranges without scout
He sent scouts. With the range widget you see the antinuke ranges drawn as circles. It's no magic. Many players do it. This doesn't indicate spec cheating.

There is a widget that blocks spectators watching your screen camera movement by moving randomly and in a quick fashion.
MasterBel wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 08:15 What is PV, then? Adolf used to mention "paid version" a lot.
It's a joke. When people win or do OP actions he will pretend as if people are using a paid spring version.

I honestly don't think people are cheating in any other way than with a second account. Noone has shown any proof.
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

Sabutai wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 11:10 It's a joke. When people win or do OP actions he will pretend as if people are using a paid spring version.
Ares wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 10:30 yeah PV stands for paid version, which is a running gag alluding to the scenario where BA starts adding premium paid content to an open source game
Oh, okay. It's as I originally thought.

Return to “General Discussion”