Port spring to ogl Vulcan..

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Silentwings

Re: Port spring to ogl Vulcan..

Post by Silentwings »

Currently supports only OGL2.1, with some missing functionality -> not viable.
ivand

Post by ivand »

If anything it's worth to consider porting spring to Vulkan (along with re-thinking whole graphical pipeline from scratch). While it will enable running on Mac and allow for maximum performance (in theory), it's extremely difficult task in terms of required man-hours, so I doubt it will ever be done for spring.
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

ivand wrote:it will enable running on Mac
So will a port to a GL <=4.1 core profile. Current develop branch builds on mac last time I tried. I'm not aware of what the current progress in the conversion is. I haven't seen an obviously GL-related commit in a while, but I'm not the best at understanding C++
ivand

Post by ivand »

MasterBel wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 03:18
ivand wrote:it will enable running on Mac
So will a port to a GL <=4.1 core profile.
I kinda hope we eventually go for 4.5 or 4.6 core profile. 4.1 is almost 9 years and lots have been added to OpenGL since then.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Does it need to be mandatory ;..;
I really would prefer we chose 3.x core profile as mandatory as a first step. It's a big enough change as it is.
ivand

Post by ivand »

gajop wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 10:58 Does it need to be mandatory ;..;
I really would prefer we chose 3.x core profile as mandatory as a first step. It's a big enough change as it is.
Dunno, I haven't looked what kind of functionality is currently leveraged, which is outside of 3.x. What I'm sure of that it's PITA to rely on extensions though. Imagine tons of hellish stuff like below:

Code: Select all

if (ARB_some_cool_extension) {
  //you do some cool and optimized stuff
}
else {
  //now you do what?
}
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

Yes, it needs to be mandatory. You are also a year too late for that discussion.

No, 105 will not run on Mac because Apple's GL4.1 implementation lacks crucial features and there are not going to be multiple code paths unless you pay me.

All things considered though, I think I'd rather write a new engine from the ground up.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

How much would we have to pay for a volcan rewrite?
ivand

Post by ivand »

Kloot wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 11:28 All things considered though, I think I'd rather write a new engine from the ground up.
Not sure if it's irony or not. Anyway, if you start it, I'll try my very best to contribute to the graphical part.
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

Kloot wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 11:28No, 105 will not run on Mac because Apple's GL4.1 implementation lacks crucial features and there are not going to be multiple code paths unless you pay me.
I suspect you mean that you won't write multiple code paths unless you get paid.
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

Kloot wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 11:28 Yes, it needs to be mandatory. You are also a year too late for that discussion.

No, 105 will not run on Mac because Apple's GL4.1 implementation lacks crucial features and there are not going to be multiple code paths unless you pay me.

All things considered though, I think I'd rather write a new engine from the ground up.
Wait what? I though supporting Mac was the entire point of moving to the core profile…
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

ivand wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 15:54
Kloot wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 11:28 All things considered though, I think I'd rather write a new engine from the ground up.
Not sure if it's irony or not. Anyway, if you start it, I'll try my very best to contribute to the graphical part.
http://i.imgur.com/W6oybGm.gif
Last edited by Forboding Angel on 25 Feb 2019, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
hawara

Post by hawara »

MasterBel wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 01:38
Kloot wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 11:28 Yes, it needs to be mandatory. You are also a year too late for that discussion.

Wait what? I though supporting Mac was the entire point of moving to the core profile…
I'm confused about this point as well. Is it a foregone conclusion that Mac OS X support will be dropped in coming releases of spring and macos?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

It's not really fair to say that mac support will be "dropped".

Apple lacks support for some standard OpenGL features, which were added to OpenGL around 2010. Spring will update to use these features and probably doesn't have the resources to keep ~10yo backwards compat alive. This will mean Spring no longer compiles on macs.

Looks to me like apple aren't much interested in (non-phone/tablet) gaming.

Return to “General Discussion”