Help dealing with an engine bug that allows builder to repair repairable false

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

So the issue is that in Evo, repairing is done via aoe buffs that only work outside of combat. Built in repairing is never allowed. Units and buildings in evo build very fast, as a result, repair speed has to be set ultra low in order to prevent exploits where you use a shitton of builders and nanoshield with repeat on, but it's even worse because if the unit finishes building he gets infinitely repaired after being built. Anti-Nanoshielding gadget would just exacerbate the problem.

HOWEVER, This has the downside of typing up builders for long periods of time if what they are building becomes damaged. Because, as I mentioned before, repair must be set to ultra low to eliminate the exploit.

What I need is the ability for once a unit stops being a nanoframe and becomes a functional unit, no matter what it's health, the builder needs to fuck off to the next job.

Factories already have this functionality in the form of:

Code: Select all

bool fullHealthFactory  default: ? 

If true, units are repaired before they are allowed to leave the factory i.e. units from this factory will be healed back to 100% health if they are damaged during construction.
Anyone know of a good way to fix this with lua? Has anyone already done it?
There is UnitFinished(), but I don't know how I would get the builder nor how i would tell him to move on. UnitCreated() includes the id of the builder, so perhaps that's helpful?
sprunk

Re: Help dealing with an engine bug that allows builder to repair repairable false

Post by sprunk »

canRepair = false? Shouldn't affect building (the tag for that is canAssist)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Help dealing with an engine bug that allows builder to repair repairable false

I forgot to mention that all units in Evo have the repairable tag set to false.

Repairing and assisting are linked. If they were ever unlinked it never made it into any changelogs that I'm aware of. I would love to be wrong about this, but like I said, as far as I know it has never been fixed. I'm on my phone so I can't test ATM.

Here is a thread of me complaining about it 4 years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=32082

A unit that is being built that is damaged before completion is still considered as being under construction until it reaches 100% hp, even though it is a functional unit. Repairing a unit after construction is completed should be a different action ,
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Demonstration of the repairing and under construction are linked bug
https://youtu.be/JL85ZOImQKI

Demonstration of repairing and assisting are linked bug
https://youtu.be/FmlWoUAew4A
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Link to mantis ticket please? I didn't find it.

Return to “Game Development”