which lobby is most popular nowadays? springlobby? zerok? other? my old favorite TASclient is long dead.

which lobby is most popular nowadays? springlobby? zerok? other? my old favorite TASclient is long dead.

Discuss development of lobby clients, server, autohosts and auto-download software.

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

namad

Post by namad »

triton
Lobby Moderator

Re: which lobby is most popular nowadays? springlobby? zerok? other? my old favorite TASclient is long dead.

Post by triton »

it depends on what game you play
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: which lobby is most popular nowadays? springlobby? zerok? other? my old favorite TASclient is long dead.

Post by PicassoCT »

XEROX-K has the most players and its lobby is in engine.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

And I'm getting terribly nostalgic over the old NOTALobby…
*ahem* How are you todaY?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Nota lobby is still around and quite excellent.
Pepe is driven and dedicated - just more experienced, I assume, when it comes to having ones hard earned success stolen near completion. Though it needs a hardworking heister to put that off. Software lives and dies away from the brains that created it rather quickly.
So the actual heißt is usually one of legal affairs and management internals.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Tasclient still works, but the moderators block linking to it on this forum so you have to google for it.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Sounds conspirancid.. Pm me Lin so I can post.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

It's nothing like that. Just some conflict about source code that people couldn't agree on. But if you just want to play the game you can use tasclient.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

PicassoCT wrote:Nota lobby is still around and quite excellent.
Pepe is driven and dedicated - just more experienced, I assume, when it comes to having ones hard earned success stolen near completion. Though it needs a hardworking heister to put that off. Software lives and dies away from the brains that created it rather quickly.
So the actual heißt is usually one of legal affairs and management internals.
Yeah, the NOTA guys are amazing (although – I wouldn't mind their website being a lil cleaner) I loved how usable their original lobby was but their new lobby is certainly way cooler (even if not my favourite). I don't believe it's possible to play BA on the new lobby though?
Tasclient still works, but the moderators block linking to it on this forum so you have to google for it.
Hmm, isn't TASClient open source like the rest of them? Allegedly this points to the source code which is on github but there is no license? What's going on?

Is this the time to randomly say that I've started drafting lobby designs for my third? attempt to write a native MacOS lobby, which is silly because a) my first attempt went nowhere, b) my second attempt was a failure, and c) MacOS won't be supported very soon anyway? .-, AKA don't watch this space, nuffin is gonna happen. :)
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

That's not the latest version, I think it's abma's personal copy that he uploaded there. Google for tasclientlatest and you should find version 1.09. I don't think all of it is open source, that's the issue. But the real issue is of course lack of communication and pragmatism.

You should be aware though that tasclient is an old lobby and not really made for multiple engine versions. But it still works somehow, and I like the design of it.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

Cool, found it. What sort of work would it take to remove the non-opensource parts of it and replace the others?? Is that what it would take to have it be linkable from here again?
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

The issue with TASClient is that there is no license attached, consequently all the source code that can be found can be considered as "leaks" and it being proprietary and protected by copyright law. Hence distribution of it without consent from its author is copyright infringement.
MasterBel2 wrote:Cool, found it. What sort of work would it take to remove the non-opensource parts of it and replace the others?? Is that what it would take to have it be linkable from here again?
Satirik (who I was told was its author) would have to license his code to us and the world.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

That's not the latest version ... the issue is ...
Actually, the issue is that distributing the 'latest' (now several years old) binary of TASC would violate GPL, as the long departed original author did not upload their final source code to anywhere, and then became unresponsive.

The good news is that anyone can now take over as TASC maintainer, using the github repo linked below, from the last version of the source code that exists. The bad news is that its written in Delphi.

Full info for TASC on viewtopic.php?f=64&t=33300&p=568573 and https://github.com/spring-archive/TASClient/issues/1

@OP: See viewtopic.php?f=64&t=36918&p=586247#p586247
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Silentwings wrote:The good news is that anyone can now take over as TASC maintainer, using the github repo linked below
Where does it say that the client is GPL? There is no license statement included either as a file or at the top of source files.

The only mention of GPL in the source is in file LobbyComponents/DockPanel/DockPanel.pas, which was sourced from somewhere else and is dual licensed under MPL and GPL.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Wrong end of stick - since TASC uses unitsync, distributing it without source code would violate Springs GPL.

Aside from that (which I had thought was obvious anyway) I know nothing, see links above for info.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

The source code of TASC is AFAIK GPL2: https://github.com/spring-archive/TASCl ... Client.dpr

(and sorry, you have to trust me as commit history was lost when it was converted to a git repo)
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Lobbyism - as big of an problem in spring as in politics
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Silentwings wrote:Wrong end of stick - since TASC uses unitsync, distributing it without source code would violate Springs GPL.

Aside from that (which I had thought was obvious anyway) I know nothing, see links above.
I see no problem with distributing such a lobby client as it would be its users violating GPL, not the lobby devs. Spring would need to be made Affero GPL before this could be legally enforced.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I don't think the idea of "legally" facilitating our users to break our own GPL license merits a serious response.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Silentwings wrote:I don't think the idea of "legally" facilitating our users to break our own GPL license merits a serious response.
See NVidia driver for an example of this.

Return to “Lobby Clients & Server”