If Microsoft buys github

If Microsoft buys github

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

If Microsoft buys github

Post by PicassoCT »

Will spring migrate?
Senna

Re: If Microsoft buys github

Post by Senna »

ALOT of stuff will be migrated if SPYDOS buys github, All what microsoft wants its to control all of urs.

Linux is also under microsoft postcode aswell.... Long Life Windows 7 Ultimate!!
The Yak

Post by The Yak »

Migrate to what?
gajop

Post by gajop »

Those are some really sad news.
I'll seriously look into migrating some of my personal projects to Gitlab or Bitbucket. Too bad there's no trully open source solution that I'm aware of.
TurBoss
Jauria RTS Developer

Post by TurBoss »

host our own gitlab?
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

I find discussing important things meaningful when things actually happen and not a "What if" scenario.
(Before anyone reply to me, yes I have read the news articles regarding this)

Edit: Welp it happen.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ite-github

Read the article people, it turns out that github wants to bought by Microsoft.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I'm not sure what it is that Microsoft will get from this that endangers our project, we're already open source. We can just git mirror should Microsoft decide to be truly stupid.

Eitherway it would be far better than when we were on sourceforge
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

I can recommend notabug.org. It is not as featureful as GitHub, but it is running a full FOSS stack and is much easier to use than GNU/nonGNU savannah.
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

I suggest to do nothing. There is no real reason (except chemtrails) to move from GitHub unless Microsoft will change the rules of the game (as AF already said).
ThinkSome wrote:I can recommend notabug.org. It is not as featureful as GitHub, but it is running a full FOSS stack and is much easier to use than GNU/nonGNU savannah.
I also do NOT suggest move to notabug.org because I guess you did NOT like notAlobby and this is just another notAtrap.
smoth

Post by smoth »

This is why i pay for my hosting
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Hehe pepe

There is also a public Gitlab CE instance at framagit.org. Frju will know more.
frju365

Post by frju365 »

framagit.org is a very good and stable place. It is hosted by FramaSoft, a french association very implicated in free software and in finding/hosting new alternative to GAFAM Service. I already ask for spring1944 and they were ok to host the project. Forum post is in french but can be easily translated in english using deepl.com.

I didn't participate to this discussion, because first, I really think that Github did a bad thing, but I understand they needed money (because, it's the only true reason), and second, because, I already explained my point of view on Spring1944 forum (https://discuss.s44.eu ).
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

One year later, what has been done? I have moved my active personal projects to framagit.org (that were previously on notabug.org) and have mostly stopped taking part in Github activities (for the most part, contributions to Springlobby).
gajop

Post by gajop »

Personally I believe Microsoft has significantly changed its direction and is way more supportive of Open Source projects - I use a couple of it's OSS on Linux (e.g. vscode).
Things turned out much better than I expected - I don't see myself abandoning GitHub for now.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

As far as I can tell github remains basically the same as it was.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

ThinkSome wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 14:41 One year later, what has been done? I have moved my active personal projects to framagit.org (that were previously on notabug.org) and have mostly stopped taking part in Github activities (for the most part, contributions to Springlobby).
I don't understand this kneejerk reactionary stuff. If anything, github has gotten better, and MS is actively supporting OSS projects in a very big way. You can be wary without making rash decisions and/or moves preemptively.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

People change, company's change, even ideologys change and expect people to change no longer
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Well, MS is making positive moves that help everyone, including themselves. This should be met with positive reinforcement. Instead, I see linux peeps responding with the same sort of FUD that late 90's/00's MS was engaged in and being accused of.

The time to act is when you have good evidence, not before, not a feeling in your balls. To anyone who has been paying even a tiny bit of attention, as of a few years ago, MS decided that the proprietary approach wasn't working, so then they start throwing their massive and extremely talented workforce at open source projects, open sourcing some of their own projects, essentially giving windows 10 away for free (seriously, if you paid for it I don't understand why you didn't bother to do research, even an unactivated version lets you use it indefinitely with a watermark and no other restrictions)...

It started with MS open sourcing .NET, which was a MASSIVE shift. Thankfully it was met with much praise and developer support, so the positive reinforcement was there. When MS makes a bad move, we need to chastise them, but when they make a good move, we need to reinforce the shit out of those good moves because this company is finally clawing it's way out of the dark ages of computing and seeing the light. Don't throw a blanket over that light just because you want to throw a tantrum.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

They all open source today and yet, the world is ruled by proprietary leviathan more than ever.

Lots of ducks in the pond makingffreedom noises, and all have a PR girl talking like Stallman. Software needs people and their grip on people is more iron then ever, though wrapped in a velvet glove.

All they saw where Google numbers.

Return to “General Discussion”