How do I bind new hotkeys in BA?

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

RecklessCharger

Post by RecklessCharger »

I've searched and theres stuff about uikeys.txt and SpringEditor.exe out there but I can't find any of these files in my Spring folder, or any clear instructions on how to do this. The default keys leave something to be desired for me, and don't even include all the old TA keys (all gunships, bombers etc), let alone a way to select nearest idle builder or all tanks or all artillery on-screen etc (which you can do in some other similar games). Even changing Ctrl-Z to only units on onscreen would be an improvement.

Can anyone help me out here?
MasterBel2

Re: How do I bind new hotkeys in BA?

Post by MasterBel2 »

So I got someone to give me a rundown:
Grass wrote: : for windows uikeys.txt is in Users\username\Documents\My Games\Spring
: bind r select Visible+_Not_Builder_Not_Building+_ClearSelection_SelectAll+
: this will bind r to select all units visible on screen that are not a builder or a building
: bind q select Visible+_Not_Builder_Not_Building_InPrevSel+_ClearSelection_SelectAll+
: this one is very simular exept for the InPrevSel wich means it will only select units you had selected from before
: for example you have a stumpy a flash and a constructor selected, this will select all stumpys and flashes on screen but also deselect the constructor because of _Not_Builder
: AllMap+ - entire map
: Visible+ - on screen
: ingame you can see what they keys are bound to with the command /keydebug
: u will want to unbind the default for that key before making a new bind
: for example i type /keydebug ingame and press r. chat tells me r is bound to repair
: so i type "unbind r repair" in uikeys.txt
If you happen to be linux/mac, try ~/.config and ~/.spring. I believe it should be the former of the two, but I haven't done it myself. (I should tho)

Also, if you didn't know, double-clicking a unit will select all of that unit onscreen (warning: and just a little bit beyond)
RecklessCharger

Post by RecklessCharger »

OK thanks for the reply. I found this on the Spring wiki:
https://springrts.com/wiki/Uikeys.txt

Does anybody know what the filter categories are? From wiki:
Category_C: only units of category C -- XXX what are the categories?

Also where do I find all the unit blueprints so I can look at unit names? Would categories be in the same files?

And double clicking on a unit doesn't select all of the same type on screen for me. Is there an option for this i am missing?
albator

Post by albator »

The issue might be that a BA widget prevent that.
It is enable by default.
It override everything that is written in the file .spring/uikeys.txt which is the result of keybind in the GUI

you need to disable that widget (F11). From memory, the name is BAhotkey or something like that.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

RecklessCharger wrote:Does anybody know what the filter categories are? From wiki:
Category_C: only units of category C -- XXX what are the categories?
I don't know what the categories mean, I'll see if I can chase that down for you.
Also where do I find all the unit blueprints so I can look at unit names? Would categories be in the same files?
Ingame if you select a unit and hold spacebar it brings up unit stats. In the top bar I think it has (in white text) the unit name. Else you can go to https://github.com/Balanced-Annihilatio ... ster/units. ((I don't believe the folders denote categories but I may be wrong.)) In those folders are all the unit defs which will have the unit names and the names used by the engine/game. I'm not sure this helps, since looking at the docs I can't tell where you'd use this.
And double clicking on a unit doesn't select all of the same type on screen for me. Is there an option for this i am missing?
It does for me, I'm not sure what the issue is here, sorry.
triton
Lobby Moderator

Post by triton »

My uikeys.txt if you want to take a look.
Attachments
uikeys.txt
(4.06 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Flaka

Post by Flaka »

is there a command for steering Groups or Units left, right, up and down? This would be really nice so you could move a Formation on step Forward backward and so on.
[Fx]Doo

Post by [Fx]Doo »

there is no "steering" although when a pack of unit is selected, ctrl + move command will attempt to keep its current formation (and the slowest unit's velocity)
triton
Lobby Moderator

Post by triton »

"bind x areamex" is a nice line to add to your uikeys.txt for BA, x is just an example.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”