New BA releases / Changelog

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

Messages about new BA releases are not posted on the forum anymore. There are a few reasons:
1) BA includes "Changelog" widget (bottom left corner)
2) You can get it directly from github
3) You can always find latest version on springfiles
4) Autohosts are updated (or autohost owners are notified) by game devs -> latest versions are available for players automatically
changelog.jpg
(102.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet
triton
Lobby Moderator

Re: New BA releases / Changelog

Post by triton »

Hi,

No forum post means no discussions, no explanations for changes etc..
I am watching last BA's changelog, I would like to understand the reason behind them :(
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

I don't play regularly. I do regularly read the changelogs on the forum because I like to keep up with the changes. Was it too much work to post them here?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Is it too much work for you to just look for yourself? https://github.com/Balanced-Annihilatio ... ngelog.txt
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Forboding Angel wrote:Is it too much work for you to just look for yourself? https://github.com/Balanced-Annihilatio ... ngelog.txt
Weird, I thought I already replied to this post. Not too much work, but considering this forum is my go-to place for spring/BA related stuff and github is not and this being the place to discuss BA stuff with other users it makes sense for me to come here. To learn and discuss changes made in BA.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Spring is a small place. The first place you should ever go if you want detailed information is the repository. None of the games for spring have the manpower needed for handholding.

Or, ya know, you could load up ba on the test server and click the button labeled "Changelog".
gajop

Post by gajop »

ZK has changelogs and they're pretty good. BA and other popular mods should strive to do the same, it brings attention to the project and lives the forums up a bit.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Forboding Angel wrote:Spring is a small place. The first place you should ever go if you want detailed information is the repository. None of the games for spring have the manpower needed for handholding.

Or, ya know, you could load up ba on the test server and click the button labeled "Changelog".
I guess forums are no longer a thing. See you on social media x.
tzaeru

Post by tzaeru »

It's no trouble if we can just copy-paste changelog to forums. BA updates are nowadays released so rarely anyhow.

I can do it - but right now there's a major update in the works and I'm sure for that we'll have several topics of their own. A lot of new goodies.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

klapmongool wrote:
Forboding Angel wrote:Spring is a small place. The first place you should ever go if you want detailed information is the repository. None of the games for spring have the manpower needed for handholding.

Anything changelog related that is posted on the forums or social media x y or z will be outdated quickly, which is the reason for going to the repo.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Actually, when it first happened, I asked and was told that it was a case of cba (I forget the exact wording used).

Much as I like the ingame changelog widget, which iirc came a little later, I suspect the lack of new release notices will be interpreted by a casual non-player forum visitor as a lack of evidence of activity. Perhaps a handful would find this thread, scroll four post below the top and locate a repo link in a terse post made by a non-dev that contains partial content, but I suspect not many.

(Following the link in the OP leads to a SpringFiles search which currently returns Planet Annihilation v3.95 as it's top hit. The "current" BA appears fifth.)

As a rule, most BA players found Spring, and then discovered BA via Spring - I haven't come across any sign of this changing, so for now I rate switching off forum activity as a bad move.

Also, frankly, the 9.46 -> dev changelog now has so many entries that it is too hard to process.
Ares

Post by Ares »

Thanks Forbs for your valued input as official spokesperson for all of BA community and Discord TM

The real reason the changelog is gone: 1242 commits, 158223 additions and over 1000 balance changes since 9.46.

Even Github can only show 1/5 of total commits due to sheer quantity
see for yourself: https://github.com/Balanced-Annihilatio ... ...007c85d

Gone are the days where Decay would change 1 value, in 1 commit, in 1 release to balance EMP spider. The age of no balance BA is upon us where units are judged not on the quality of their balance but on the specialness of their effects.

9.46 forever!
Last edited by Ares on 20 Jul 2017, 19:20, edited 2 times in total.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Code: Select all

/mute Ares
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I find it impressive that he still doesn't understand how VCS works, even at a basic level. It's truly impressive.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Forboding Angel wrote:
klapmongool wrote:

Anything changelog related that is posted on the forums or social media x y or z will be outdated quickly, which is the reason for going to the repo.
The thing you haven't picked up on in this thread, even though multiple users posted about it, is that people come here to discuss BA with each other. Changelogs on the forum are an important part of that. 'See you on social media x' (notice how I don't mention FB, twitter, instagram etc?) is meant in a sarcastic way. You wouldn't be able to find me (BA players wouldn't find each other and discuss BA). This thread isn't about the best way to document changes to a game. It is about losing touch with (potential) players.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

No, the point is that the changelog is painfully easy to find. It's named changelog.txt ffs.

BA is the most toxic group in spring. Why do you think anyone really wants to communicate with that group on the forums? Sure, there have been good people, but the rest of you have either driven them off or effectively silenced them.

Fwiw, changelog are generally communicated via newsposts.

You act as though there is an influx of new players... There isn't, and when new players come along, you turn the chat into something resembling /b, right before screaming at them, insulting them, teamkilling them, etc.

But no, you're tooooottttttally right. I'm the problem.
Floris

Post by Floris »

Because the changelog is now easy to find ingame, aswell as on the web, there is little need to spread it here every time.
We used to have nearly weekly releases and there was little need for forum changelog posts.

So I do see the need to make a (few) post for the upcomming BA version, but not to make it a habit again.

There is also sufficient feedback on changes in the lobby, ingame and on our discord. Discussing things in the forum are just not that preferred. The forums have a much more public 'official' character to it. I just prefer things more casual/real time. I am easily overwhelmed by the stuff on the todo list and endless forum discussions arent my cup of tea. We have a nice group on Discord were things can be much faster, more extensive, cooperative and forgiving.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
gajop

Post by gajop »

@Forb: I just don't see why BA and the entire community wouldn't benefit from having release posts here, much like EVO does.
@Floris: I understand you might be busy/unwilling to do forum posts due to what you say your development approach is.
Ares

Post by Ares »

Forbs already explained his double standards when it comes to his treatment of BA versus his treatment of Evo:

https://github.com/Balanced-Annihilatio ... 1d3dfc32b1

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”