[game] [Evolution RTS] New Lobby Skin, New Wiki Work, New Tutorial Videos, New Maps, Overseer Morphs

[game] [Evolution RTS] New Lobby Skin, New Wiki Work, New Tutorial Videos, New Maps, Overseer Morphs

Happenin' news on what is happening in the community. Content releases, new tutorials, other cool stuff.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Well, the biggest news first I guess... New lobby skin! Thanks to Ikinz for helping me get this going. It's not perfect but it is pretty nice, so I'm a fan!

Continue reading →
PepeAmpere

Re: [game] New Lobby Skin, New Wiki Work, New Tutorial Videos, New Maps, Overseer Morphs, Gaming Get-Together this weeke

Post by PepeAmpere »

Forboding Angel wrote:Well, the biggest news first I guess... New lobby skin! Thanks to Ikinz for helping me get this going. It's not perfect but it is pretty nice, so I'm a fan!....
Forb, no matter how acidic I can be, this is just friendly request: pls, moderate your contributions on main spring page a bit. Im not against promotion of EVO there, but few sentences is enough and any detail or extra info should be in second comment of given thread, in separate thread or there should be link on your page.

Those walls of text on SpringRTS Home Page are horrible no matter how much I support you.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: [game] New Lobby Skin, New Wiki Work, New Tutorial Videos, New Maps, Overseer Morphs, Gaming Get-Together this weeke

PepeAmpere wrote:Those walls of text on SpringRTS Home Page are horrible no matter how much I support you.
Not my problem.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

It's good to see that you're active and that Evo is alive and well, but much of the content you've posted here and in viewtopic.php?f=38&t=35446 doesn't qualify as important enough for lengthy detailed posts on the community blog. You can see the general advice on what to include here: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=32596 (which, of course, requires some judgement on part of moderators to enforce).

The common solution, which you can see being used by others, is to have a short post that appears on the springrts.com front page with links to longer detailed posts elsewhere, if necessary. Please do so in future.

It would of course be better if there was an automated way of handling very long posts sensibly, but until there is one we will expect users of the community blog to work within its limitations and stick to posts that are appropriate to appear on the springrts.com front page.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I'll give you a choice... I already have to do a lot of annoying ass formatting to make posts work here and on the front page that I don't have to do elsewhere.

You can have lots of activity, or a well curated ghost town. It's not like there are any actual technical limitations here... This forum has an rss feed, and there are plenty of free rss feed php scripts out there that will allow you to curate it however you see fit.

SilentWings, you may not care for this attitude, but the guidelines can kiss my ass, quite frankly. What I am posting falls within the spirit of the guidelines well enough. I am not going to make a special post JUST for this place. It already takes an hour if not more just to get enough stuff together to make the ones that I do. Normally I make one once a month. This one covered only 10 days, imagine all the shit that happens in a month.

So, as I said, you can have a activity or a well curated ghost town, which is basically what you have now. If users aren't using it, the fault probably doesn't lie with the users, ergo perhaps your guidelines are too stringent.

Also, let me point out that I wasn't posting stuff here. I WAS ASKED to post my stuff here. Probably because this place is a fucking cemetery, and people such as yourself would rather see guidelines followed idiotically to the letter than actually have some life coursing through the place. So if you don't want me to past my news items here, then that is a-ok with me. I don't post them here because I want to, I post them here because I was asked. It adds a lot more time to me just making a simple newspost to post it here. Don't get this shit twisted, I will happily not take the time to post news here.

On a side tangent/rant...
People with attitudes such as yourself are part of the reason why this place looks so dead most of the time. I know damn well it isn't, as do you, but to anyone else, it looks like it is. That would be an easy thing to fix, but at every turn, people with attitudes and opinions like yours will do everything they can to block any progress being made. It's to the point to where no one gives enough of a shit to bother anymore.

Doesn't that bother you? It should. Between me and AF alone we have the skills to massively transform this site into something vibrant, useful, attractive and with the ability to attract activity. You would think that with so many talented people here that it would be possible to rub two brain cells together and fix the place up, but apparently that's too difficult.
8611z

Post by 8611z »

is someone going to clean up this crap from frontpage or does nobody care anymore?

User was warned for this post, felony 2.

The matter is being discussed, we favour a technical solution over a social one if possible.

-- FLOZi
smoth

Post by smoth »

Glad to see evo is still going. I am working pn my recovery, baby step right now, i hope to be back soon.
8611z

Post by 8611z »

The matter is being discussed, we favour a technical solution over a social one if possible.
Post in your own posts and not in my posts.

Yea technical solution is probally better when people lack the common sense not to post walls of text and megabyte-sized png images.

User was warned for this post (despite already being in a 4 month ban); felony 1, 4.

-- FLOZi
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

Unless technical solution is taken, we should disable the "feature of promoting articles on home page". Or generally filter all except new releases posts until technical solution is taken.

Its
  • simple&fast
  • avoid censorship or editing Forbs articles
  • clean the home page without loosing official info of engine devs
As we can see, last three articles on home page are really un-professional, not taking in consideration the community needs. Current text-walls are making the horrible promotion to the project.

I agree we should avoid strong words and crazy actions, but current situation is bad and its legit action to remove last three articles unless their creators update their approach or until technical solution is taken.
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

PepeAmpere wrote:I agree we should avoid strong words and crazy actions, but current situation is bad and its legit action to remove last three articles unless their creators update their approach or until technical solution is taken.
Update, because for some reason I cannot edit my own posts.

I agree we should avoid strong words and crazy actions, but current situation is bad and its legit to discuss it. Remove last three articles unless their creators update their approach or until technical solution is taken is optional.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

It's almost as if I already posted the solution... Oh wait... I did:
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

It's not a solution until it's been implemented!

I would personally love to see a feed of aggregated repo activity on the front page, but there is no possibility of me ever becoming interested in web development and implementing it.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I could do it, but not until it is decided upon that that is the course of action to take.
gajop

Post by gajop »

You are asked to fix your blog post length and keep it small in the future, until a better solution is implemented and live in production. I hope that's clear.

It might be implemented soon, or maybe never. It probably depends if someone (e.g. you) gets annoyed enough having to manually cut their posts and goes ahead and contributes a patch to the website/forum.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

gajop wrote:It might be implemented soon, or maybe never. It probably depends if someone (e.g. you) gets annoyed enough having to manually cut their posts and goes ahead and contributes a patch to the website/forum.
Well my point with that was that I wasn't going to bother until I got word that that is the course of action that the admins of this site would like to take. Otherwise, it simply represents a lot of wasted effort. Hopefully that makes sense. As you've probably noticed, I'm working on a bunch of other stuff atm as well, most of it will directly benefit all of the gamedevs here (if they want to use it).

Return to “Community Blog”