Ludum Dare Crisis - Page 2

Ludum Dare Crisis

Moderator: Content Developer

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Ludum Dare Crisis

Post by Forboding Angel »

Yeah I figured. So many things are reliant on versions being separated that putting them together would cause a lot of annoyance and angst I'm thinking.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Google_Frog wrote:Would work on lua lobby possibly extend to engine changes?
It would involve engine (and pr-downloader) changes. In particular I expect the following major features implemented:
- Restart into specific engines
- Search rapid games and install tags which can be automatically updated (old rapid tag)
- Run Spring without map (and not just fake "BlankMap")
Forboding Angel wrote:If lua lobby core were a rapid package, keeping project's lua lobby updated would be trivially easy.
Well I don't see Chili or LUPS being used as dependency, so I'm not sure this would work better.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

gajop wrote:
Forboding Angel wrote:If lua lobby core were a rapid package, keeping project's lua lobby updated would be trivially easy.
Well I don't see Chili or LUPS being used as dependency, so I'm not sure this would work better.
I would happily use both as dependencies, saves me the trouble of maintaining them. They aren't on rapid though, so I can't.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Forboding Angel wrote:I would happily use both as dependencies, saves me the trouble of maintaining them. They aren't on rapid though, so I can't.
:roll:
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Knowing that you're a linux user and seeing you roll your eyes at that... The irony, it doth slay me.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Both are on rapid and have been for some time.

However, rapid still doesn't correctly grab dependencies, at least not via SL download archive tool.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

FLOZi wrote:Both are on rapid and have been for some time.
https://springrts.com/wiki/Rapid_Tags

They aren't on the list? What are their tags?
FLOZi wrote:However, rapid still doesn't correctly grab dependencies, at least not via SL download archive tool.
Rapid works perfectly. SL is the one that fails (seriously, why would you use SL for downloading rapid packages? :-/ Hell, zkl is awful and even it manages to get game dependencies properly (not map dependencies though)). PR downloader is part of the engine now, you can just feed it a console command, or if you're on windows you can use my pr downloader menu: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B25BbZx ... MwRlE/edit

Or you can use the downloader built into SWL (It's a frontend for pr-downloader) on any OS: https://415a950abc581c17904719844496567 ... JXR1pRV2M/
gajop

Post by gajop »

Forboding Angel wrote: https://springrts.com/wiki/Rapid_Tags

They aren't on the list? What are their tags?
chiliui:stable, chiliui:test and lups:stable, lups:test
This is exactly the reason why we need the search extension in pr-downloader.

PS: i18n and modelshaders are also on rapid, but probably never used like that either.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Forboding Angel wrote:
FLOZi wrote:I vote for a mass wiki editing :lol:
You jest, but this is actually an excellent idea tbh.

Only half jesting. Getting working templates for lua API and then a mass edit to convert everything into the templates is a feasible and desirable achievement imo.

btw re: rapid, pretty sure i tried it direct with the cl pr-downlaoder tool too without luck; I should point out that I was using the (at the time brand new) 'dependency is a rapid tag' feature, so it may well be that it correctly downloads solid dependencies such as spring features but not rapid tags?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Spring features isn't a solid archive (I'm assuming that's what you meant when you said solid, as in solid == sdz/sd7) though (barring the ancient 1.0), however, I haven't tried using a rapid tag as a dependency (from a game archive) like "spring-features:test". I always point it to a specific one like "Spring Features v1.9".

If I'm using pr downloader directly then ofc I use the tag (test/stable), but you can feed it a specific version as well.
gajop

Post by gajop »

There's an update announcing the new LD for 26-29th August. It will be hosted as usual but with the big exception that voting will be disabled. I think this defeats the purpose of doing a jam and I feel like I would rather do something else - like a Chobby jam.

Thoughts, opinions?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I'm totally down for Chobby. I'm not a luaguy so I'm not sure where I could be helpful. Perhaps UI design? I'm good at that, or if you plan on having the ability for background lobby music I could do that, or even button sound effects, background art?/etc.

Regardless, I'm totally down.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Forboding Angel wrote:I'm totally down for Chobby. I'm not a luaguy so I'm not sure where I could be helpful. Perhaps UI design? I'm good at that, or if you plan on having the ability for background lobby music I could do that, or even button sound effects, background art?/etc.

Regardless, I'm totally down.
Any help is more than welcome. We (GoogleFrog, TurBoss and me) have already (re)-started the work on it, and it's going well. The same as LD, we use Gitter to communicate, and you can find the room in the README (https://gitter.im/Spring-Chobby/Chobby).

We are currently doing (or rather *did*) the most important parts of design. You can check the repo (https://github.com/Spring-Chobby/Chobby) for the current state, although the button sizes/positions still aren't finished and some things are a bit off so it's advisable to talk on chat to see what design we have in mind.

We haven't touched on the chili skin, which is something we will definitely need help with. I don't want to stick with the default one for a number of reasons. UI, background and generic brand art will also be needed. Music and sound too I suppose although much lower on the priority.

PS: Whether or not we end up running a Chobby jam, I strongly suggest that people interested in it join beforehand to at least get acquainted. Things like design are usually best done over a long period of time which allows you to discuss and think things through, while the jam tends to be a coding frenzy that gets a lot of laborious stuff done fast.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I don't care whether voting happens or not, but I'm on holiday then and I think realistically my chances of gradually getting into some lua coding over the summer are zero. Sorry!

Return to “Ludum Dare”