[website] major upgrades of wiki / forum - Page 2

[website] major upgrades of wiki / forum

Happenin' news on what is happening in the community. Content releases, new tutorials, other cool stuff.
gajop

Re: [website] major upgrades of wiki / forum

Post by gajop »

Forboding Angel wrote:No, it's not compatible with newer versions. Or do you mean the templates?

Additionally, the old wiki fixed width caused lua pages to be badly formatted with unintentional wrapping. I hated that crap.

There is a bootstrap theme that we had been working with that was fully mobile compliant, but for now it's just the default (which is a massive improvement).
I agree, I also think the new wiki is a lot clearer, but I wouldn't mind if we had a darker (but still readable) theme either.

More importantly, I think we need to fix how notes are added to many Lua API functions.
Take https://springrts.com/wiki/Lua_SyncedCtrl page for example.
It's filled with <font color="#55ee99"> which look bad on a bright theme and don't allow easy theme switches, but even the <span class="note"> looks bad as it's sometimes just integrated in the same function signature div element (see Spring.SetUnitWeaponState).

@FLOZi or someone with equivalent wiki skills, can you outline an idea how to clean this up? Should we use templates or what?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I'm not a mediawiki guru, but templates are the best to use imo, because then they can simply be changed to fit the theme and propagate across the entire wiki.

Essentially, they work like stylesheet elements (I believe), in which case that is the superior method.

P.S. I love the little heart thing <3 Thank you for adding that plugin abma!
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

This is totally the forb-funded pro-material-design lobby getting too much power!!!

I wonder if jK has any exceptional data on his claim that "last restyle caused many to leave", because that claim is pretty exceptional.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Missing: post edit button.
Also: the heart should be black. To match with the color scheme.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Also missing: quick links icon.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Anarchid wrote:Missing: post edit button.
Also: the heart should be black. To match with the color scheme.
Edit button works for me: posting.php?mode=edit&f=38&p=577855 (Maybe it's a phone thing)
Heart could use more love but if you want any changes to art you'd need to contribute that.
Anarchid wrote:Also missing: quick links icon.
Forb patched quick links icon but doesn't seem deployed yet
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Edit button works for me:
Screenshot_20160601-010203.png
(268.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

gajop wrote:
Anarchid wrote:Also missing: quick links icon.
Forb patched quick links icon but doesn't seem deployed yet
I also patched the blue on .panel and various other elements that I hadn't done. It's been merged but hasn't been deployed to mainsite yet.
Anarchid wrote:This is totally the forb-funded pro-material-design lobby getting too much power!!!
Fwiw, as many people would point out, it's not "actual" material design, but that is the main gist of it. Keep in mind that all the changes you see here are done purely with css, no actual scripting/coding changes. I will point out that doing something this massive using nothing but plain css is an impressive feat. The sole reason I stuck with only css is so that changes can be reverted by simply commenting out a single line. Pretty powerful stuff.

That's why I said earlier that if people didn't like the new look and use an ad blocker, they can simply block materialish.css and poof, it all goes back to the way it was 3 days ago. :-)
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I suggest not sending a notification by default, when someone likes one of your posts.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Silentwings wrote:I suggest not sending a notification by default, when someone likes one of your posts.
I like it in the same way I like it for quotes. (I don't think the notifications are that disturbing).
I would prefer to keep this default (spread love?), but you can change it for yourself here: ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I absolutely want likes in my notifs.

Side note, the forum is so much more usable on mobile now <3
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Are there any plans to address the front page, forum, and wiki now all having different and incompatible colours and layouts? Bugs aside, this seems like a major flaw.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Side note, the forum is so much more usable on mobile now <3
Unless you happen to want to edit a post, that is.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

gajop wrote:@FLOZi or someone with equivalent wiki skills, can you outline an idea how to clean this up? Should we use templates or what?
Forboding Angel wrote:I'm not a mediawiki guru, but templates are the best to use imo, because then they can simply be changed to fit the theme and propagate across the entire wiki.

Essentially, they work like stylesheet elements (I believe), in which case that is the superior method.

P.S. I love the little heart thing <3 Thank you for adding that plugin abma!

Yes, templates, and yes, they are basically stylesheets, though more besides (really they allow you a 'structure' which you can fill in, they are just a convenient central place to use html style too).

c.f.: https://springrts.com/mediawiki/index.p ... ction=edit
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Silentwings wrote:Are there any plans to address the front page, forum, and wiki now all having different and incompatible colours and layouts? Bugs aside, this seems like a major flaw.
All 3 serve completely different purposes, why would they need to match? I've never seen complaints about mantis or github not matching, but those two are arguably the most important gears in the machine.

There is no reason that the three need to match. The wiki desperately needed to be broken out of the confines of the site. The idea was to use a bootstrap theme that was white based and very nice, but ultimately it was more important to break the wiki out first.

What bugs? Anarchid can't seem to find the edit post button, but I have yet to see a screenshot. I posted a screenshot from my phone showing it. Other that that potential one, there are no bugs that I know of?
gajop

Post by gajop »

I don't have the edit button (or any others next to it) on my phone either. They're hidden under a drop down menu, but still accessible.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Ohhhhhh, they're talking about this?

That is totally intentional behavior because loliPhone (320px wide).
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

All 3 serve completely different purposes, why would they need to match? I've never seen complaints about mantis or github not matching
There are many wiki pages that link/refer to forum posts and vice versa; as such their purposes overlap. Besides, its common to browse them together and natural for them to share the same navigation bar (hence why up to now they did...).

The blue http://www.springrts.com homepage being the only page that isn't styled bright white, when its clearly part of the same website as the forum, is just ridiculously bad style imo.

That these issues are a regression and my post has aquired two cute little hearts, suggests they shouldn't be carelessly dismissed.

It would ofc be good if mantis could also share the navigation bar. I don't think its very easy to do, but that it doesn't is presumably not seen as a step backwards by anyone, so I wouldn't think it was worth attention.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

May I point out an error on the 'games' page of the wiki? It's just for me Metal factions and The Cursed are formatted different (centred instead of aligned left.) Is anyone else getting this?
Also I can't include attatchments - else I would include one here. Just the button isn't there.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

Hmm I'm also not getting an edit button appearing. The other two are there. Weird.

Return to “Community Blog”