A couple comments on BAR

A couple comments on BAR

Balanced Annihilation with remade Units

Moderator: Content Developer

MasterBel2

A couple comments on BAR

Post by MasterBel2 »

So since everyone seems to be talking about moving to BAR recently (not quite everyone but enough people) I decided to try a game. And surprise on me, I actually liked it. (apart from the fact that the shard AI against me didn't build anything from the lab - I'll have to get around to reporting that)

DISCLAIMER: Yes I've pointed out a lot of not-so-good stuff. I still like it. It's just easier to point out the bad than the good ;D

So; what I liked:
  • The General feel of the UI
  • The options given ingame when pressing shift-escape. This was probably the most exciting thing.
  • The fairly decent units - some of them were actually quite cool (Especially that of the Rokko - it looked really cool)
What I feel still needs to improve
  • Certain aspects of the UI: The buildlist replaced with labs when selecting weapons was slightly confusing, the fact that controls were spread over the screen
  • The repeat-on button was too hard to click
  • The fact that I actually had to click a button to change between labs, eco, and defense
  • The decoy fusion was in the weapons - does anyone use them anyway? How?
  • The commander. Too large
  • The overcomplicated unit models - too many windows, etc confusing what the weapons were.
  • The beefy units didn't look beefy, and the weak units looked beefy.(especially when getting to t3 and t1 veh, and the nuclear bomber)
  • Can be hard to tell if something's been given a guard order
  • The 'move' order mouse icon (blagh) broke the convention of the middle of the icon being the place that was selected to. I DID GET USED TO IT but it still bugged me every time I actually looked at it
I could complain that the units looked plastic compared to the map I was playing on, but I really get you guys don't have the time for perfection. I mean, that would be the reason why BAR isn't played commonly yet. But really, try to keep them simple. It's playable, else I'd be upset with the whole thing, but could be a lot simpler and easier to play. (oh yeah, try to keep the unit models simple. Like they did with the original TA models)

One last thing that really annoyed me: THE SPIDER HAD ONLY 6 LEGS :D Took me a while to realise though because the rest of the modle was actually nice and natural. Just that it had 6 legs not 8.

Keep on with your great work guys! (and forgive me for being over-passionate about the difference between spiders and insects :D)
Silentwings

Re: A couple comments on BAR

Post by Silentwings »

Ty for feedback -
Certain aspects of the UI: The buildlist replaced with labs when selecting weapons was slightly confusing, the fact that controls were spread over the screen
Could you be more specific and provide a screenshot? (The UI supports multiple different layouts, and reacts to changes in screen/window dimensions).
The repeat-on button was too hard to click
Could you tell me your screen/window size, and/or include a screenshot?
The fact that I actually had to click a button to change between labs, eco, and defense
You don't - the tooltip that shows when you mouseover the button you clicked, tells you that you can use the mousewheel. You can also use the ZXCVB hotkeys.
The commander. Too large
It's the ~same size as BAs commanders - do you also object to those?
Can be hard to tell if something's been given a guard order
Can you be more specific? As far as I know, the same visual indications of commands are displayed as in every other game - in particular the command queue of all selected units is drawn.
I could complain that the units looked plastic compared to the map I was playing on
Again, screenshot please. The level of graphical nicety BAR chooses to display on the units depends heavily on your settings/hardware.
the difference between spiders and insects
As far as I know, all spider models in *A and its descendents have six legs.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

I object to the rejction of objectionism. Its a valid ideology, though fractionally cursed with disputes of the various branches.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

I object to the rejction of objectionism. Its a valid ideology, though fractionally cursed with disputes of the various branches.
There are some who try to be cryptic. I can be one of them. Being isn't understanding.
It's the ~same size as BAs commanders - do you also object to those?
No. It's just it's proportionally weird. And OP for such a flimsy looking thing. But remember that it's just an opinion.
Can you be more specific? As far as I know, the same visual indications of commands are displayed as in every other game - in particular the command queue of all selected units is drawn.
The Guard symbol seems to blend in with the unit, and I can find the line hard to see. If it were either less opaque or a different colour/design that would be easier to see, it would be appreciated.
Again, screenshot please. The level of graphical nicety BAR chooses to display on the units depends heavily on your settings/hardware.
It's the colour and (relative compared to TA) lack of realistic texture on the units. Again this is something of personal opinion. If it looks fine to you - well - you don't have to do anything about it. Might I say I hate the design of the t3 hovercraft in BA, but don't say anything because others like it? I'm a picky idealistic person.
As far as I know, all spider models in *A and its descendents have six legs.
D
Right I'm leaving the spring community NOW! (not really :D again,
I'm a picky idealistic person
)

Anything else you need me to clarify? Might I say as an example of overcomplicated unit structures - the Fido doesn't need the ears. Please :D
I'm a picky idealistic person
Not exactly, but.

Cheers!
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

Oh and:
The repeat-on button was too hard to click
Could you tell me your screen/window size, and/or include a screenshot?
Oh, right - I forgot I'd changed the aspect ratio on my screen to like half in both directions. But really, I would love a keyboard shortcut. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=34900
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

It's the colour and (relative compared to TA) lack of realistic texture on the units. Again this is something of personal opinion. If it looks fine to you
Again, the level of graphical nicety BAR displays on its units (including which textures are displayed on the units and what lighting, if any, they recieve) is highly dependent on your hardware and settings. Without a screenshot there is no information for us here.
I forgot I'd changed the aspect ratio on my screen to like half in both directions
I am only able to make sense of this if you had a four dimensional screen - screenshot please...
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

Sorry, what I was trying to say, is it doesn't, for the size of the buttons. It was making other things difficult too. I'll have to have another proper game sometime if I get the time.

On the textures:
Image 1 is of the commander. (A side note that he looks like a fast and relatively lightweight unit)
From a distance, Imo that gun looks pretty cool. But from a distance it unfortunately transforms into a seeming mess (see image 2)

Loooking at image 1 and three - it's the lack of texture on the blue parts, for example, that makes it look plastic to me. The wind gen isn't as bad as the commander, yet it still feels a bit overcomplicated. No problem identifying it zoomed out so there's no real problem there.

Image 4 and 5 are of the guard command. The line is a bit easier to see here, but in water especially and, well, any ground that isn't white, I find it impossible to see. Hope you understand.

EDIT: Images are having trouble with the import process - will add them as they allow me. It's just that the status bar isn't progressing, and then it doens't get added (for somewhat obvious reason)
Attachments
Image 2.png
Commander (far)
(4.3 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Image 1.png
Commander (closeup)
(4.21 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Image 5.png
Guard order (wind)
(4.26 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Great, thanks - I see what you mean with the guard command.

Fair point about the team coloured panels being less textured than the metallic panels, although personally it doesn't bother me. I think if you look at the core units, for those the team colour panels are textured as nicely as the metal ones.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

Ok seems I can only put three in that post, and that I can only import 1 at a time. Also wierd how edits don't always make a post say 'editted by__ on__ date'
Attachments
Image 4.png
Guarding MM
(4.25 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Image 3.png
Wind Gen (close)
(4.31 MiB) Not downloaded yet
gajop

Post by gajop »

MasterBel2 wrote:Ok seems I can only put three in that post
Not sure if true, but you can definitely use imgur and similar image hosting sites and just leave links to that.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

I think if you look at the core units, for those the team colour panels are textured as nicely as the metal ones.
Yeah, I will have to play a game as core, see if there's anything I can comment on with that.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation Reloaded”