Is there a "lobby like" application for creating script.txt files? - Page 2

Is there a "lobby like" application for creating script.txt files?

Discuss development of lobby clients, server, autohosts and auto-download software.

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

AF
AI Developer

Re: Is there a "lobby like" application for creating script.txt files?

Post by AF »

I'm sure I remember launching SpringLobby and using the singleplayer launcher without needing to connect and login to a server? Just exit the login prompt, go to the singleplayer tab, configure what map you want etc and press launch

Once upon a time we had SpringSP, but it was closed source and the maintainer left years and years ago. Unitsync changed and it wasn't updated, but it was a nifty lightweight launcher
Xello

Post by Xello »

AF wrote:I'm sure I remember launching SpringLobby and using the singleplayer launcher without needing to connect and login to a server? Just exit the login prompt, go to the singleplayer tab, configure what map you want etc and press launch
Yup it's still there. But you can't add other players, only AI.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Imagination is total detrimental to monumental, bone crushing works. No, what you need is that itch in your finger, to fix something, that is not there yet.
Good thing you don't have that. :D
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Xello wrote:
AF wrote:I'm sure I remember launching SpringLobby and using the singleplayer launcher without needing to connect and login to a server? Just exit the login prompt, go to the singleplayer tab, configure what map you want etc and press launch
Yup it's still there. But you can't add other players, only AI.

Thats because it's a singleplayer feature not a multiplayer lobby.I'm going to attempt to translate your posts into a more direct statement that lacks the clutter and XY problem issues:

The lobbys are complex, buggy, and too much effort to set up. They give me a tonne of options and I don't understand which ones I need to change, and which ones I can ignore. Is there a simpler and easier piece of software that I can use for a local LAN server?
The answer is no, and your solutions so far are basically reinventing the lobby but doing 99% of the work of setting up a game by hand.

In general I agree, the lobby system does too much, with too many assumptions, bespoke systems, baggage, and it's not so easy to start something new in the same eco-system.You're unlikely to see progress on the fronts you value soon. You may find weblobby interesting though
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

There is various lua scripts floating around that have the necessary functions to build a script from easy to manage lua tables, chili UI etc.. and relaunch spring with said script. None of them are really in a released state but they could no doubt do what you want with some coaxing.

Though like mentioned and you probably already realize, you would have to build the tool you want yourself as it really doesn't exist.
viewtopic.php?t=32643 a snippet of lua I've been using (some code is outdated *Spring.Restart -> Spring.Reload)
Xello

Post by Xello »

AF wrote:The answer is no, and your solutions so far are basically reinventing the lobby but doing 99% of the work of setting up a game by hand.
I think you mostly get it. I would disagree about the 99% part. I think the hard part of setting up a game is picking the game/map, and setting up all the settings. Adding players can be done just like adding AI. All you need to do is send a username/password/ip/port to each of the clients. SpringLobby pretty much does all of this separately already.

I have cloned spring lobby, and I am currently attempting to simplify it. I am not familiar with the code, so this will take me some time. In the end, I am hoping to have a small and fast SpringLauncher thing.

P.S. Also the Spring Launcher thing will be buggy as well, because writing software is hard.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I'd just start from scratch, maybe take one or 2 things
Xello

Post by Xello »

AF wrote:I'd just start from scratch, maybe take one or 2 things
Hmm, I thought about it. But there are some nice features of springlobby. Replays, spring settings, unitsync integration, Map Preview Rendering/selection, Start Spot selection, game settings, map settings, settings.txt generation. These things are all working mostly pretty well.

Also I don't see this launcher replacing lobbies, I just see them as another option. This means that I could steal code from spring lobby and spring lobby could steal code from me.

I think I might change how the battle screen works, but out side of that I see no reason to re-invent the wheel. Unless you guys/gals can think of something....

Return to “Lobby Clients & Server”