Dead or alive

Dead or alive

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

the above

Dead or alive

Post by the above »

Anybody any good still playing this game?

I decided to check what's going on here. I see one non-pw'd game in the lobby, it's Senna vs rzbx vs some unknown FFA on Greenfields! These guys haven't improved a notch in the 3? 4? years since I last saw them, it's kinda endearing. Is DSD still popularest? Anybody play any small games not on Greenfields? What's the newest bullshit introduced in patches be it by engine or game? How's pathing? Did I just waste my time or is there at least someone cool to tell me everything's shit now?
the above

Re: Dead or alive

Post by the above »

Btw I'm Johannes
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

Hi Johannes!
you can check amount of games here: http://replays.springrts.com/

As you can see - there are a lot of "big" games and some small games too. For example, yesterday we had fun playing some 2v2 games (even DSD): http://replays.springrts.com/replay/188 ... d171fe949/

Spring 100 is good enough
albator

Post by albator »

the above wrote:Anybody any good still playing this game?

I decided to check what's going on here. I see one non-pw'd game in the lobby, it's Senna vs rzbx vs some unknown FFA on Greenfields! These guys haven't improved a notch in the 3? 4? years since I last saw them, it's kinda endearing. Is DSD still popularest? Anybody play any small games not on Greenfields? What's the newest bullshit introduced in patches be it by engine or game? How's pathing? Did I just waste my time or is there at least someone cool to tell me everything's shit now?
Pathing is still about the same. So veh are still less worthy than kbot in most situtation because they make big circle.
Actually, everyone start kbot in FFA now... (and much more on CCR also)
The second reason for that is the impulse has still not been fixed and riot and janus are not good enough to handle 2v1 as easy as what it used to be. So having better eco with kbot and using AK and pewee is the main trend T1

Regarding the big team game, the average number of AFUS per game is 50. As everyone now has realize than making 6 t2 bomber to blow an AFUS on top of the T2 lab was costing more than the AFUS...

BA has never been so close to tech annihilation. The changes that were introduced since TFC left (make moving unit less good at a specific task (i.e. "OP")) have continued. So building eco is still the best thing to do.
Last ffa, I played with 50 dragoon flyes and a few bantha VS 10 banta and all the dragoon flies were killed easy. Just giving you an idea of kind of game: don't look for complexity, make unit that have al lthe weapong capability and click the other side of the map.
Also, I forgot, with screamer, the long range AA prevent bombing and you finally have a way to get closer and closer to tech annihilation !! houra !!!

The bright side is the new GUI: for example, now you cannot see the percentage of wreck unless you zoom very close, because the game being so beautiful is so much more important that the player to be able to get information fast.
Nah, kidding ;) , there have been some improvement there.
8611z

Post by 8611z »

the above wrote:Is DSD still popularest?
yes, but maybe that changes tonight.
Attachments
bla.jpg
(85.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
the above

Post by the above »

I've played a lot of games now (not very well though). But I've gotta say the game's worse than it once was. I blame it mostly on that veh pathing was made to suck... Which was one of the reasons I stopped playing originally. I don't know if there's been minor tweaks since I stopped or not, not much at least.

Now you start bots basically on any map at all. Which was nice when you could do it, back in the day too, but it wasn't every game... But bots vs. bots on big maps mostly sucks compared to veh play. For a few reasons:

-Core bots don't have a fast scout at all, so they have to be in the dark early. Otoh that's their only real weakness.
-If you're Arm you've got Flea, but PW totally suck vs. AK. It's very simple to kite the PWs, much worse than Flash vs. Gator.
-Bots are slower than veh, so it's much harder to be aggressive early on big maps.

Overall there's just a lot less (viable) starting build variety in small games. Most people seem to agree.

Are the devs ok with this, are there any plans to tweak the balance back in any way? (Is BAR still being worked on?)
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

There is always the opportunity to become a widget midget, and smoth and optimize the path thing.

Hey, i did it myself. The ultimate insult to open source- its youre absent patch :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytWz0qVvBZ0
Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

Strategies didn't become any more or less viable and the game hasn't changed, the old vehicle starts that may have worked consistantly in the past were never as water-tight as they may have seemed. On medium sized maps it is more effective to transition from bot to vehicle at t1.

T1 kbot and vehicles are well balanced for their roles and both factions have contrasting strengths and weakeness as you have correctly pointed out.
9heart

Post by 9heart »

clash of clans has 100 million daily users.

dead.
Nixa

Post by Nixa »

Memories
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

So how much is the bounty?
the above

Post by the above »

Ares wrote:Strategies didn't become any more or less viable and the game hasn't changed, the old vehicle starts that may have worked consistantly in the past were never as water-tight as they may have seemed. On medium sized maps it is more effective to transition from bot to vehicle at t1.

T1 kbot and vehicles are well balanced for their roles and both factions have contrasting strengths and weakeness as you have correctly pointed out.
The game has obviously changed, not just the pathing but balance patches have went against t1 veh as well. Of course none of this is recent at all.

Maybe if we went back to a ~2010 build we'd find that bot starts dominate there too, or if I'd just finetune my play I could win with veh starts on the current one as well. But that's beside the point still.

It's whether the status quo is good, regardless of how it became that way - is bots vs bots starts on flat maps more enjoyable than veh vs veh, or veh vs bots?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

BeachVolleyball- the Spring Edition!

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”