Spads running on AWS

Spads running on AWS

SpringRTS Perl Autohost for Dedicated Server

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers, SPADS AutoHost

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Spads running on AWS

Post by Forboding Angel »

Just for the sake of mentioning it, I have moved all my hosts to Amazon AWS free tier. In testing they seemed to perform really well, even when maxing out the available resources.

I use AWS for work a LOT so I'm fairly familiar with running aws servers. I opted for server 2012 r2, mainly just because I didn't want to have to spend the time figuring out how to use spads in ubuntu, but I imagine that ubuntu is even less resource heavy.

At any rate, it seems to be quite smooth. In doing some testing I was able to max out the CPU usage on spring dedicated, which is a bit surprising, because I thought that literally all dedicated did was pass network traffic, but it seems to also be running the sim as well?

It didn't seem to be an issue, but I'm going to leave them up as they are for now and see what happens. I have aws set to notify me if something goes crazy and it wants to charge a shitload of money, but their support assured me that I should be safe.

I thought others might like to know as well. The memory on the free tier is 1gb, which appears to be enough. Dedicated uses next to no memory to speak of. But it does chomp down on processor usage apparently (on game running had it pegging the processor at 80 - 100% most of the time).

Is there anything I can do in spads to see if the processor usage could be brought down?
Silentwings

Re: Spads running on AWS

Post by Silentwings »

I thought that literally all dedicated did was pass network traffic, but it seems to also be running the sim as well?
It only passes traffic - it's not capable of running the simulation.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Forboding Angel wrote:Is there anything I can do in spads to see if the processor usage could be brought down?
which version of spring are you using?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

@silentwings, I did a lot of reading last night and came to that conclusion, which makes it super weird that the cpu usage would spike like that.

@abma, it's spring 96

Fwiw, my home server never registers a cpu or ram hit from spring dedicated.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Forboding Angel wrote:@silentwings, I did a lot of reading last night and came to that conclusion, which makes it super weird that the cpu usage would spike like that.

@abma, it's spring 96
afaik the 100% cpu load in spring-dedicated is fixed with spring 100.0
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Asking the obvious question to which I already know the answer...

Any chance of getting a "fixed" copy for spring 96?
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

Any chance of Evo being updated to 101.0?

EDIT:
You know what, I will give you a fixed 96.0 dedicated server if you promise to start porting Evo to 101.0.
IMO it's a smaller effort than you think and I'll gladly help you.

Note that the porting should be entirely independent and prioritised above the big rebuilding bounty thing.

And in the meanwhile you'll have a working 96.0 dedicated server.

PM me if interested.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

hokomoko wrote:Any chance of Evo being updated to 101.0?

EDIT:
You know what, I will give you a fixed 96.0 dedicated server if you promise to start porting Evo to 101.0.
IMO it's a smaller effort than you think and I'll gladly help you.

Note that the porting should be entirely independent and prioritised above the big rebuilding bounty thing.

And in the meanwhile you'll have a working 96.0 dedicated server.

PM me if interested.
Well I'm pretty sure my server at home already has it cause I remember there being a thread back when 96 was the new hotness about this and a fixed exe being in it, but yes I would gladly take it directly from you :-)

Wrt Evo and 101.0 "In progress", Code_Man is gonna help me out, but he dislikes Github's account setup process so that has been a bit of a snag. I'd love to have any help. If I could get existing evo on 101.0 that would be amazing and solve a LOT of problems as well as kick the urgency can down the road enough so that the new replacements don't need to be rushed in order to make it "just work" again.

FWIW I've looked at it many times and I've tried, but I don't have the knowledge needed to update the luaz. To my credit, I've asked repeatedly for help, but most people are understandably busy with their own stuff.

So yeah, if you wanna help me get it working on 101, that would be awesome, I know that would probably make Code_Man significantly happier as well. I'll pm you a little bit later :-)
8611z

Post by 8611z »

To my credit, I've asked repeatedly for help, but most people are understandably busy with their own stuff.
People have always helped to update mods and even made completly new things, often within hours/days after the request. That is how evolutionrts even made it to 96.0. Now people are "busy."

The case of a mod stuck on old engine so long is without example. (zK had other reasons to use 91.0 for a while)
Updating is not much or hard work just bit boring: max handful hours plus bit playtesting.
There have been plenty of hints how to update and how to make updating easier, and other already updated mods can be used as example too.
(Sometimes info is spread out but facebook-status-style "would be a miracle if evo ever gets updated sadsmiley #emo #gamedevstruggle" is not concrete questions either.)
Problem is that no tutorial is ever good enough; everything on wiki is crap; the explainations are vague on purpose; every fix only makes things worse; no time to fix basics because to play/stream whole night has priority; math, code,logic are 'opinions' that can be ignored; 'if you think this matters so bad then fix it yourself because it is good to me'; general people should just stop wasting your time which is more valuable than theirs because you make more money so they should just frigging do it instead of explaining how to do it; people have bad coding practices; everyone is cancerous and sabotaged your mod; all documentation sucks because it is too hard to read; ask for 'help' when actually mean 'do it' and no interest to learn; wanting fishsticks for the day instead of fishing-road (...)
From look at recent threads nothing has changed.
If the mod should be updated not only to 101.0 and 102.0 but also to 103.0+ then rethink the approach. Else you will again have to wait two years for other new people. Guaranteed.

User was warned for this post, felony 1, etc etc etc.

-- FLOZi
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

8611z wrote:People have always helped to update mods and even made completly new things, often within hours/days after the request. That is how evolutionrts even made it to 96.0. Now people are "busy."
Factually incorrect. I have asked for help many many times from many different people (and I've also asked publicly) and no one until within the past week has agreed to help me. Which is fine, because it isn't their obligation to help, and many are far too busy working on their own projects.

Your post is off topic and inflammatory. I only responded to the above because I wanted the record to be set straight.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Ugh, so this thread got derailed to hell and back. If anyone would like some help with how to set up AWS for autohosts, I can help. It's really easy. AWS has a notoriously terrible UI and lots of vague language. If you want to get really fancy you could even join it via a vpn to your own network (our AWS servers are site-site VPN via our firewall in the building... It's easy to set up only when you've done it before, otherwise plan to spend a month trying to figure it out and debug it).

I haven't bothered to set up a vpn with my home network yet. You could also use a cloud service to sync the etc folders so you don't have to bother with a potentially annoying VPN (This may be the route I go with, just for the sake of less headache).

By my unscientific calculations, it should be possible to run around 10 hosts simultaneously before you start running into issues. What is really needed is for someone to set up a slew of BA hosts and see what happens. Fwiw, even if you needed more server resources, the cost would be miniscule, because with aws you can set boundaries, floating resources and max cost alerts.

If anyone wants any more info, just let me know. If you've dealt with AWS before it's simple, if not there's a bit of a learning curve, but it's not too bad.
8611z

Post by 8611z »

Forboding Angel wrote:Factually incorrect. I have asked for help many many times from many different people (and I've also asked publicly)
Where?

Return to “SPADS AutoHost”