Spring Game Deployment

Spring Game Deployment

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Spring Game Deployment

Post by Forboding Angel »

Lets just get this out of the way... Rapid is far better in every single way than that sdz/sd7 approach from 10 years ago.

I have proposed this before, but I would like to float it again.

Can we please use release branches in git? This way the game could just be an sdd. With a proper springignore, sdds don't cause any significant loading time issues with spring itself, and git allows for a far superior experience. Tags could be used on release branches to signify versions (for matching purposes, etc). I'm sure there are 50 different ways I haven't thought of to handle version issues. Would also relieve a SHITLOAD of stress from the spring server.

How about it? Doable?
gajop

Re: Spring Game Deployment

Post by gajop »

Forboding Angel wrote:Lets just get this out of the way... Rapid is far better in every single way than that sdz/sd7 approach from 10 years ago.
It's better unless you want to simple distributions.
Forboding Angel wrote: I have proposed this before, but I would like to float it again.

Can we please use release branches in git? This way the game could just be an sdd. With a proper springignore, sdds don't cause any significant loading time issues with spring itself, and git allows for a far superior experience. Tags could be used on release branches to signify versions (for matching purposes, etc). I'm sure there are 50 different ways I haven't thought of to handle version issues. Would also relieve a SHITLOAD of stress from the spring server.

How about it? Doable?
I've no idea what you're suggesting here... Clarify better please.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Right now we use tagging commits to signify releases. I'm suggesting that we do that but keep all releases on their own release branch AND tag them. That way it makes it easy for the lobby client to sort through various previous or newer releases.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Forboding Angel wrote:Right now we use tagging commits to signify releases. I'm suggesting that we do that but keep all releases on their own release branch AND tag them. That way it makes it easy for the lobby client to sort through various previous or newer releases.
Git has tags (the thing spring/spring and most SpringCabal/$REPOs use) which you could use. This is unrelated with the git commit message.
I don't know what's so great about release branches.. I find them needlessly complicated.

What I don't see is how any of this relates to sdds or reducing stress from the Spring servers. Rather not make assumptions, so best to be exact in your proposal.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Sdds being the containers for the git repo and strain taken off of the spring server and placed upon the repository host.

Return to “Engine”