Springlobby freezing longer than 60sec

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Zonk

Post by Zonk »

Lately springlobby keeps doing freeze-crashes.
After every: Map download, mod download, game end
But sometimes also during: Springlobby startup, in middle of games

It freezes for no apparent reason.

Its been doing those Freezes since a while now, but they used to be shorter.
At first it kept freezing for ~40 sec (no crash), then 50+ (no crash), then 60+ (= 100% crash)

I've tried reinstalling the regular spring install. I've also tried the portable install. Same problem.

Using Win 7, 64bit version.

Would be great if anyone could help... or at least direct me towards another lobby thats working, even if it isnt maintained... (as long as the files are still up and it can still be installed).
Silentwings

Re: Springlobby freezing longer than 60sec

Post by Silentwings »

I have this symptom too - always assumed it was doing some caching thing that took especially long for me due to having multiple sdds.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Use Weblobby. I have the same issues, just realized recently as I normally don't play on SL..
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Gajop, do you also have the issue when you run spring.exe directly?
gajop

Post by gajop »

Silentwings wrote:Gajop, do you also have the issue when you run spring.exe directly?
No, but SpringLobby freezes whenever I try to reload mods (currently it has no mods/maps listed). Updating the unitsync location in the preferences also seems to have issues.
Running Spring directly, via WebLobby or Botrunner (depends on unitsync) works fine.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

SL still runs unitsync synchronously?
albator

Post by albator »

It is due to the replay folder being too big and it comes from some changes since the last version as I mentioned :

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=31224&start=200#p573665

Long hang out also results in crashes as I mentioned.

You have no other solution than empty the demo folder regularly, or use an older lobby as abma does not believe it can explain the crash. Maybe that is due to a new package/libraries that we all updated simultaneously (and not a change in SL) ?

Anyway, keeping the demo folder small solved the problem for me
Zonk

Post by Zonk »

Ty, deleting replays worked for me too.

That explains why the problem became worse over time (first 40s freezes, ect), as more and more replays were being saved.
lamer

Post by lamer »

My observations:
Springlobby freezes after 10 seconds on linux since 0.226 (or a bit earlier). The version i use that works fine is 0.225-135-ge09e16e.
Tried to update lots of times (until ~0.240), always hangs.
I even deleted ~/.spring and ~/.springlobby folders to no success. Didn't try workarounds with latest version (0.243), but 0.225-135-ge09e16e works without them.
Does anyone use springlobby on linux?
Usaga

Post by Usaga »

Lamer, what linux distro do you using? SpringLobby 0.226 had a bunch of improvements for list controls which have had fixed a lot of problems with rendering and performance in Windows build. But, unfortunately, it introduced performance drawbacks in situations where list contains more than 300-400 items...
Furthermore, unitsync is still being used in synchronous way, so it also could add it's part of freezing... Try to keep your replay folder clean and wait when SL will get fixed this issue...
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

If you are using git repos as sdd, make sure that you add a proper "springignore". It will stop the endless archivecache rewrites.

https://github.com/EvolutionRTS/Evoluti ... ignore.txt
lamer

Post by lamer »

@Usaga, system is Arch Linux 64bit. I'll try to bisect the faulty changes (or play more with workarounds).

@Forboding Angel, checked. Indeed i have sdd's but there is proper springignore.txt in each of them.

EDIT:
https://github.com/springlobby/springlobby/issues/604
@Usaga: oops, indeed it was 3000 replays that i missed somehow. After removal of them springlobby hangs no more at start.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I solved the issue for me. Seems it had two causes. I guess both issues are really unitsync, rather than SL.
(1) Someone had commited springignores with the wrong line endings, resulting in all text ending up on one line -> broken. Fixing this hugely reduced the hang when SL is told to load a single sdd (e.g. select it in singleplayer tab).
(2) I had lots of folders in /games which were not .sdd, but which did contain many files. Removing those greatly reduced the total time SL waits with nothing onscreen for every time it was started up. I don't really understand why unitsync bothered looking around in these non-sdd folders, but I think it must have done. They were all archived game versions, effectively an sdd but without the .sdd extension in folder name.

For me, replays are unrelated, it made no difference whatsoever if I had 4000 or 0 of them present.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Silentwings wrote:(1) Someone had commited springignores with the wrong lines endings, resulting in all text ending up on one line -> broken. Fixing this hugely reduced the hang when SL is told to load a single sdd (e.g. select it in singleplayer tab).
Yep, that's exactly what had happened to me. I think I lifted my original ignore file from s44 and they had a bunch of custom stuff in theirs. This was before I understood how to use git. Once I understood git then going back and looking at what was necessary was simple. It's a bit of a forehead slapping moment, but spring assets tend to have so many moving parts that it's incredibly difficult to keep track of everything so you end up assuming that the minutia is correct and sometimes it comes back to bite you.

tl;dr
*brofist*, been there.
albator

Post by albator »

FYI, the problem appeared at iso-spring-version. Also, my SL, my spring engine, as well my ~./config/spring directories are all mounted on normal HD (no ssd). So the issue is either due to SL or to a lib that is used by SL.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

albator wrote:...due to SL or to a lib that is used by SL.
Quite possibly unitsync, fwiw.
gajop

Post by gajop »

I'd also like to point out that I seem to be using an outdated version "SpringLobby 0.237", which is odd as Arch Linux tends to be bleeding edge.
Please contact the maintainers to issue an update.
lamer

Post by lamer »

As a workaround to outdated Arch Linux builds i use package from AUR.

Return to “Help & Bugs”