Amarante

Amarante

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Silentwings

Amarante

Post by Silentwings »

20x10 snow map, made for 2v2 up to 8v8 games.
(updated to v3, 04/11/15)

Get it here: http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-maps/amarante
Made using World Machine.
Attachments
screen00583.png
(1.01 MiB) Not downloaded yet
screen00581.png
(1.67 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Floris

Re: Amarante

Post by Floris »

Nice!

Added keyword 'amarante' for the snow widget BA ships with.

One thing I must note though... the grain/detail texture looks the same for snow/rock/sand... which is a bit dull.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

The detail texture is Springs default - its the same for all terrain types on all my maps (and also on almost every other map too). I'm afraid I'm always going to be too lazy to differentiate detail tex between terrain types.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Does this have a custom specular? Something about the mountains just doesn't sit right with me. I can't put my finger on it. It's like it needs a bumpmap or somehting?

It's not blurry, but it looks blurry. Weird. I've seen custom specular maps cause that kind of look though, which is why I ask. Maybe it's the lack of contrast between the brown and the snow?

Designwise, it's plain, but nice. It reminds me of that arctic map that I never can remember the name of, but that map is very nice and so is this one.

Metal layout seems typical (and that's a good thing). I like the fact that it's symmetrical but at the same time it isn't.

Seems like there are some nice open areas begging for exploding shells.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Would you mind posting the .tmd file?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Here you are, sorry about the blur kernels ;) The map took 3h for me to design and then 3h for WM to run... I think the heavy snow is also pretty pricy in cpu cycles. Also, the colouring macro is slightly modified in a hacky way.

There is one color map being taken from an external snow texture, used only on the lower "roughed up" snow - just substitute any snow texture you like in its place and it should look fine. I had to zip the tmd because the forum complained about "invalid file extension".

There is a custom specular map, based entirely on slope. I am not sure whats meant by blurry but not blurry, for me it looks like everything is lightly dusted with snow, which is how I remember my skiing holidays... it could be the specular not caring whats snow/rock or it might be something to do with the atmosphere settings, which were cribbed from Arturi's Avalanche.
Attachments
amarante.zip
(19.64 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Made v3 and updated OP.

With sharper definition between rocks/snow & prettier mex spots. And thanks to behe for a handy trick.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Awww yess now that is WAY better.
Floris

Post by Floris »

Nice, but how come the shadows of units are hardly visible? Like having around 2% opacity value.

I guess you can set shadow opacity for maps?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Probably because I always have shadows off and never changed it from the default value of whatever map I took the shadow settings from.

Return to “Map Releases”