Attachments
scrap.jpg
(94.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Akilon Wastelands

Post by Forboding Angel »

Updates:

The trees in the center can't block los like in sc, but I will make them block shots and indestructable and non-blocking. Ofc it's not gonna be the same in evo as feature hitboxes of that size get ignored, but should make for some fun play in other games :-)

I'm digging the scrap picasso!
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

BtW picasso, can you make me a kinda set of spaced out rocks that are semi small but cover the same space as the big rock heap? It's so I cna make it non-blocking, and make it the corpse of the big destructible rocks, so they don't just disappear out of nowhere.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

can i get a zoomed in verison of the plant wall shot? something is odd there ..
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I also might have changed your rocks texture a bit, cause it was a bit too pinkish and I found one that looked a little better ingame I thought.
Attachments
destructiblerocksTex1.7z
(2.81 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Texture is upside down on the plants :(

If you want changes, just say so.

Also RockTexture might be mirrored the wrong way too.. fuck tga

@ beeing to pinkish.. it seems the selfilumination is way too high. They glow - and as they are orange, they are well glowing orange- wich is pinkish- new version comes with dumped down selfilu..

@ gajop- this works are under the creative commons 4.0
Attachments
AlternateRockTexture.7z
Better?
(5.33 MiB) Downloaded 9 times
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Some critic has arizen that the rocks look like meat and jelly- and very much aglow.. as your ever concerned (for his own asss) benevolent (too his own clan) dictator i have decided to provide you with a ilusion of choice. Gentleman- how would you like the rocks - under which the infidels are crushed?

May the one with the most blood on his hands in the ensuing civil war congratulate me for my divide and conquer tactics.

Attachments
RockDark.jpg
(44.52 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
RockMedium.jpg
(41.1 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
RockToasted60.jpg
(73.01 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Orfelius

Post by Orfelius »

-sigh-
*unzips*
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Last one looks amazing!

I'll fix the plants.

Remember, with dds you don't have to flip the UV, with everything else, you do.
Orfelius

Post by Orfelius »

Why make the threes block the shots if they are non collision? It makes for unintuitive behavior imo. Besides I would much more them to block los instead or make units invisible (alike to LoL grasspatches). Any how the current model (the correct not flipped one) also doesn't fit for any of these roles (imho) and some sort of weeds/high bushes/bamboo would look better than this single trunk desert plant.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Gentleman here is your darkend Rock.. enjoy it
TheRockV3.7z
(4.45 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Orfelius wrote:Why make the threes block the shots if they are non collision? It makes for unintuitive behavior imo. Besides I would much more them to block los instead or make units invisible (alike to LoL grasspatches). Any how the current model (the correct not flipped one) also doesn't fit for any of these roles (imho) and some sort of weeds/high bushes/bamboo would look better than this single trunk desert plant.
Did you read? Because we can't make them block los in spring, IE not possible. Blocking shots makes the middle an interesting area and serves the same purpose as los blocking except that inside can't shoot out and outside can't shoot in except like things that arc like vlaunch missiles.

Just because its new doesn't mean that it will always be unintuitive. The first time I played sc2 I was surprised when I found that bushes obscured los, but I quickly adapted.

And frankly, stop going for realism, ffs it's a video gamegame and none of this shit is realistic.
Last edited by Forboding Angel on 11 Jul 2015, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

I don't remember ever having to flip the UV.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Anarchid wrote:
Yo, yo , yo my man- you think really you can do this - eh, walk into this ghetto, without having buisness here- bragging about the blenders. Try to drop your collada, where we are selling tga and dds. Getting open sourcey, to our faces?

This is no way to put the social pressure on people. I know this because i ve been social pressurized properly all my life. You make them feel bad. You push them down, you build them up the way you want. You dont just drop by, make a cheap announcement and go. No. you come in wielding something superior. Then ...

Go to a cult or some fanatical political organisation... they know how to make diamond into carbon
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Get moving mr. forb - no slacking.

Up the internet it goes.
Attachments
ScrapRefinery.rar
(710.07 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
ForbNoSlackingMoveIt.jpg
(119.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Anarchid wrote:
If you never had to then that means that you did your textures upside down. Both are valid methods. I always preferred flipping the UVs as it was a more "Standard" practice.

Scrapheaps are in game.

FWIW, I have made quite a few variations of several of these features. WRT the scraps and rocks, I have made them at both cardinal directions and 45 degree angles. On this map, the entire play area is at a 45 degree rotation, so placing things with only 4 cardinal directions makes it difficult to line up, hence, the 45 degree ones give you the ability to essentially have them rotated at 45 degree intervals.
Orfelius

Post by Orfelius »

The trees in the center can't block los like in sc
Did you read? Because we can't make them block los in spring, IE not possible.
I did read that. As I understood you just didn't make them to. That did not imply that it was *impossible*.

I haven't used the "realism" argument (yet) but consistency argument instead. Somehow my units are able to shoot at other units and trough other map features however trough this particular one I just phaze for some reason but yet it also blocks shots of my units, which is not a behavior I would expect from a *plant*.
In comparision the concept of "concealment" thanks to the bushes or steam (like in SC2) is fairly familiar and understandable since (only now I will use the real life argument since you are right it is somewhat relevant) in real life you see less because of steam or bushes.

Besides all that wasn't it you who said in relation to having no reclaim values in evo "that's why I made map features purely cosmetical in Evo"

Solution: forcefields. Seriously forcefields would not produce confusion and annoyance because thats what you expect a forcefield to do: it blocks shots but lets objects pass trough the forcefield/shield.

There is seriously no reason to be upset. I read trough your posts carefully especially that I fully acknowledge that you get all uppity for various reasons and in fact it took me around 15 minutes to write this very post just to make sure you wont get angry :\
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Orfelius wrote:
There is seriously no reason to be upset. I read trough your posts carefully especially that I fully acknowledge that you get all uppity for various reasons and in fact it took me around 15 minutes to write this very post just to make sure you wont get angry :\

Wrong attitude for this forum. They can smell drama-sensitivity. You got to piss into the general direction of everyone, and act all touchy and wounded when a drop of it splashes back.

Also silence in the map-mines, use that air to dig.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

And delivered

Updated the Cacti
Attachments
cacti.7z
(90.58 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
cacti.jpg
(29.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet
PicassoCT